Thread: Best case fans?

Question Best case fans?

So, I'm on my... probably third set of fans in as many years. They're starting to rattle again.

I want to buy a new set of fans (6, various sizes) and I wanna get some that will last this time. Can you guys recommend some better-than-most, longer lasting fans?

I don't like lights and stuff - just need air moving. I live next to a MicroCenter if that helps any of you.

Thanks!

Deleted
    http://noctua.at/
    Best brand i ever had

10+ Year Old Account
    Noctua and Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition fans
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    Yeah, these are pretty much the best out there. The Corsairs are actually a little worse but they are not the ugly Noctua colors, so it kinda comes down to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Depends on the MicroCenter, but Noctua fans are pretty great. Might want to paint them though...
    I actually kinda dig the color! I'm definitely more of a "basic colors" kinda guy...

Thanks all!

like most people have stated Noctua are a good fan but they are a bit pricey.

I have had some good experience with rosewill hyperborea with both the 140 and 120 fans.

Those corsairs are not really that quiet. I have 2 in my Raidmax case and they are the loudest part of the computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    Those corsairs are not really that quiet. I have 2 in my Raidmax case and they are the loudest part of the computer.
    You sure you have the quiet edition? I have 4 of them and they are really quiet, can't even hear them.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Deleted
    be quiet! silent wings 2, either 140mm or 120mm whatever you need. They are 4pin so they will adjust speed or even dont spin at all if not needed. Though...why do you need 6 case fans in the first place? They are rather many, what you case you got?

Quote Originally Posted by gamamage View Post
    these fans are really are nice but hard to live with if its next to you. I have a box of 24 Sanyo Denki SAN Ace 120 224cfm ones that I messed with. I had 5 in a build I did a few months ago. It seemed ok for a few weeks but got hard to live with as time went on even with pwn on the ones I have. I still run a handful of them in machines that I run as servers in a different room that no one has to sit in but I wouldn't use them for a personal rig that is sitting next to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Corsair and you can color code them with the build. They make it simple choosing between AF and SP. Noctua too but they look like someone pooped on them.
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2016-05-27 at 05:30 PM.

i have a schythe glidestream 140mm and if you keep it under 1000rpm it is silent even with my ear next to it

1001rpm and it gets weirdly loud.. but eh, <1000 is fine for shooting cool air into the case

edit: dang the noctua hate in here.. you know they do boring black fans as well now

You sure you have the quiet edition? I have 4 of them and they are really quiet, can't even hear them.
    Yup. And they are still louder than the stock case fans. I'm also pretty picky about how loud my comp it. If I can hear my gfx card fans, I turn down the gfx...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightwysh View Post
    Yup. And they are still louder than the stock case fans. I'm also pretty picky about how loud my comp it. If I can hear my gfx card fans, I turn down the gfx...
    Strange, since mine are really really quiet :/
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Strange, since mine are really really quiet :/
    oh you sillies, quiet to one person is a hammer-drill to someone else.

this youtube channel ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoS...u0xvKRkxMO3Bkg ) is quite good. there is a video where you can set your volume and then (if they have a vid of the specific fans you're talking about) you can listen to it neutrally. some people will still think it is too loud and others will think it is nice and quiet.

comes down to your background noise, how far away you are from the fans, which direction they are pointing, line of sight (or line of sound), how much the sound waves bounce around before they hit your ear.. so many variables that really no two situations are gonna be the same when it come to a pc in someone's room.

recently moved my pc from under my desk to next to my desk. somehow it actually sounds quieter to me there *shrug* the mysteries of acoustics.