Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Like any one ever gave a shit what she said, or her campaign was anything other than counter-productive.
    She had undue influence over censors at the time, which is what these groups are trying to do with the ASA.

It requires a strong leader at the ASA to tell them to fuck off, just as the previous head of the ASA did to those people who complained about the atheist bus advert.

Sure, ban the size zeros so no one has interest in anything anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    We had the exact same dumb thread a month ago.
    Why is it dumb to not want vocal minority groups to have undue influence over advertising? Groups who are campaigning for obese people to replace healthy people, because having a fit person on an advert is apparently "fat shaming".

I get that you are an SJW, but sometimes you have to look at what other SJWs are campaigning for and take a step back, then disassociate yourself from the crazy extremists and if you think that replacing a sports model with an obese one is a good idea, because exercising is "unrealistic", then you are firmly in crazy extremist territory.

Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    The ASA statement says nothing about image editing. I don't know where you got that from.
    It simply refers to advertising trends that propagate gender stereotypes.

I'm sure it could form a part of the argument. But it is not their argument.
    The guy was saying that it would make more sense if it was about photo editing because that is not real. Most ads are photoshopped heavily as are covers for magazines, even the celebrities don't look as hot as magazines make them look. Now if the photo is unedited and just has good lighting and the person is attractive then it should not be banned. That is his argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Surely that was the Government, not the ASA.
    *gasp* that's even worse, SJWs have infiltrated the government to take away free speech!

- - - Updated - - -

If a vocal minority are having undue influence over advertising in Britain, which they are trying to do, then it does matter.

We had this kind of shit before with Mary Whitehouse and her ilk, we do not need it again.
    Wasn't Mary Whitehouse trying to get actual content censored? I'm sure no-one would have given a flying fuck if she was just going after marketing.

Bonus - my auto-correct wants to call her Mary Whorehouse.

If you're a model and you think you'll be banned but the boss says "no you're okay, you can stay for the shoot."

That would be depressing.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Because there isn't going to be a ban on hot women.
    We've had this discussion the last time.
    Just find me one example of them banning a woman for being hot.

I'm not a "SJW".
    Idiots wanted a normal woman banned, they got ignored. The end.
    Oh bullshit are you not an SJW.

And they did not get ignored, that is the bloody point, the ASA implemented a review of policy based on their trying to get a healthy woman banned from the Protein World advert.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    *gasp* that's even worse, SJWs have infiltrated the government to take away free speech!
    You seem to have mixed up entirely unrelated events, so I am not sure what you are on about there.

Wasn't Mary Whitehouse trying to get actual content censored? I'm sure no-one would have given a flying fuck if she was just going after marketing.

Bonus - my auto-correct wants to call her Mary Whorehouse.
    Mary Whitehouse was trying to get films and TV programmes censored, these are trying to get adverts showing healthy people (though it appears to be just healthy women) censored, both because what they saw offended their little bubble world.

Good. What's the problem? Oh, companies won't be able to sell their products that's a fallacy.
    They should ban hot guys too... to be fair.

free speech? Ok, if it was so free why are they only showing hot men and women? shouldn't it be everything.. That's a very limited view of people.

I honestly don't see the issue.

lets think about dogs for a second.. some people like small dogs... some people like large dogs.. some people like fluffy dogs and some people like cats..... just saying
    Last edited by flyspyro; 2016-05-27 at 04:53 PM.

You seem to have mixed up entirely unrelated events, so I am not sure what you are on about there.
    Isn't this about authorities censoring the free speech of advertisers?

Mary Whitehouse was trying to get films and TV programmes censored, these are trying to get adverts showing healthy people (though it appears to be just healthy women) censored, both because what they saw offended their little bubble world.
    I'm pretty sure the ASA aren't censoring "healthy" people, just adverts that promote the idea you need a certain body-type. Also the statement I read was gender-neutral, do you have a quote from the ASA saying they'll be applying the standards differently for women?

Finally I couldn't care less about marketers not being able to use whatever tricks they want. If it gets us o e step closer to products being sold on their merits rather than appeals to our primitive monkey brains I'm all for the change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't this about authorities censoring the free speech of advertisers?
    It is, but I have no idea why you are talking about tobacco advertising, that was a concerted effort by the medical profession, amongst others. They had legitimate medical reasons for wanting tobacco advertising banned, they did not try and hide behind medical reasons in order to push their agenda.

If this was about health and its effects on young people, then why are the two main adverts which have been targeted the Protein World one, which featured a sports model and had activists calling for an obese model to replace her, and the Gucci advert, which was on the Times subscription site and therefore not aimed at young people at all?

Promoting health by removing a healthy model and replacing her with an unhealthy one isa somewhat bizarre strategy.

I'm pretty sure the ASA aren't censoring "healthy" people, just adverts that promote the idea you need a certain body-type. Also the statement I read was gender-neutral, do you have a quote from the ASA saying they'll be applying the standards differently for women?
    The complaints have been about women in advertising, I did not say the ASA themselves are only directing their attention at women, just that the people complaining are.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I will support anything that hurts marketing maniacs
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to hear your explanation.
    You backing the people that want to replace a healthy model with an unhealthy one, because a fit model is "fat shaming", shows that you are a SJW. You have been arguing their case, so you either support them or you are trolling.

So what exactly is banned now?
    They have given their criteria, we will see bans based on it from now on, they will not ban retroactively. You do not actually understand what is going on, do you? Did your SJWsense tingle or something?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    These assholes have a lot of power. How many of these "land whales" live in the UK? Isn't it close to 22% of the population? Imagine pissing them all off and them boycotting your store. You'd lose millions. What's sad is that many of these assholes probably never have shopped there to begin with. Reminds me of the time where 50k signatures, from people around the world, was enough to remove GTA5 from Target shelves in AUSTRALIA! Fucking Australia Target was being pressured by people that would NEVER shop there in the first place.

If the internet didn't exist, they'd have next to zero power. I saw this coming from back in 2010 where "fans" of pro-gamers would gather and mass send letters to the pro-gamer's team sponsors. The sponsors would drop their deal from the team and the team would drop the player. The "fans", who've probably never purchased (and will never purchase) from the sponsors, have the ability to destroy someone's professional life because of the treat of lost funds...

I don't think there's a way to stop this lunacy.
    Didn't somebody fitness ad not only ignore them but taunt fat people after they complained and made bank?

These people have no power it is the emperor with no cloths of the modern day.

You backing the people that want to replace a healthy model with an unhealthy one, because a fit model is "fat shaming", shows that you are a SJW. You have been arguing their case, so you either support them or you are trolling.

They have given their criteria, we will see bans based on it from now on, they will not ban retroactively. You do not actually understand what is going on, do you? Did your SJWsense tingle or something?
    lol, you know it doesn't always have to be about if someone is fat or not.. why don't they show a healthy ugly person then? where are all the flat chested models? They are alrdy limiting free speech by only showing certain types of people.
    Frankly, explain to me what is wrong with a SJW? Why is caring about people a bad thing? I'd like a serious thought out answer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtower View Post
    Didn't somebody fitness ad not only ignore them but taunt fat people after they complained and made bank?
    That ad was eventually banned because it made false claims, which is what the ASA traditionally police in respect of adverts.

I'd love to hear your explanation.
    You disagree with someone on the internet about an issue vaguely connected to social justice. A Breitbart reporter will be around to brand you shortly then you get a welcome pack detailing all the things you're not allowed to like anymore.

My phone wanting to rename Mary Whitehouse to "Whorehouse" was funny, but now it wants to change Breitbart to "Visionary."

Deleted
    That ad was eventually banned because it made false claims, which is what the ASA traditionally police in respect of adverts.
    What false claim? It was a fitness ad...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by flyspyro View Post
    lol, you know it doesn't always have to be about if someone is fat or not.. why don't they show a healthy ugly person then? where are all the flat chested models? They are alrdy limiting free speech by only showing certain types of people.
    The model in the Gucci ad was flat chested, it got banned. And adverts do show unattractive people, it depends on what the advertisers are aiming at.

Frankly, explain to me what is wrong with a SJW? Why is caring about people a bad thing? I'd like a serious thought out answer.
    Explain why replacing a healthy model with an obese model on a health product advert is "caring about people" and perhaps I can answer your question.

- - - Updated - - -

Their claims for their product was bollocks. I have no issue with that getting banned, that is false advertising, I do have an issue with trying to get the advert banned because the model featured in it was too attractive and made people feel bad about themselves.

Guess what the campaigners against Protein World aimed at.

- - - Updated - - -

You disagree with someone on the internet about an issue vaguely connected to social justice.
    Or you could just look at their post history and read some of their arguments.

This may shock you, but sometimes to sell you a product advertisers will exaggerate or outright lie.

Deleted
    This may shock you, but sometimes to sell you a product advertisers will exaggerate or outright lie.
    It was a picture of a skinny woman asking if people are beach body ready.

What lie is being told?