Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Saying "gg" in an Overwatch game (or any other online game for that matter) to your opponent that you just beat handily, in a complete blowout, isn't the same as "shaking hands after a football game" or "shaking hands after a chess game" or something like that.

It's the same as saying "good game" to the losing football team who just lost 20-0 or to your chess opponent who just lost in three moves. They'll take it as an insult, because it wasn't a "good game". At all.

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    Yeah, no. GG is just good manners at this point. It's not an insult, just you little babies who want to be offended for sucking at games take it that way. Just like I say good game after a pick up basketball game where my team won 15-3. It's a courtesy thing. L2play L2sports L2thickskin
    Yeah GG is fine. Saying "Lol easy" or something is not and it's bad sportsmanship.

Deleted
    GG is just good manners at this point.
    No it's not. It's an insult, and you can see clearly it being used as such, by assholes who first during the game taunt the enemy and talk shit, who use insults and all that stuff, then after the game throw "gg".

If you don't understand that then that's your problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    In DOTA2 its customary to type "GG" at the end of match.
    Generally since the level of toxicity in most MOBAS is so high, "GG" for me means a game without somebody feeding, insulting another person, or asking everybody to report a member of their team for not being up to their standard.

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    "GG" didn't originate in starcraft. But, the Korean starcraft leagues didn't become lax on the rule until a few years ago. Before that you could face a huge penalty if you said anything in chat during the game and saying GG as the winner before the loser said GG.
    I never said it originated in Starcraft. And yeah, you could face a penalty for doing it before the game was over and the opponent had surrendered and typed it himself. That didn't mean the loser just didn't say anything, because then he'd also get a penalty. Which is why games ended with the loser typing gg and surrendering and then the winner typing gg. Oh look, both parties still said gg, how rude of them. And in a lot of games nowadays there isn't time to wait for the loser to type it first, meaning apart from a few super sensitive people, most people just type it regardless of order.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

10+ Year Old Account
    If the game clearly isn't good, then why are people saying it is? I don't really care personally but if you're saying it after a match takes 2 mins odds are you're saying it as a slight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Yeah GG is fine. Saying "Lol easy" or something is not and it's bad sportsmanship.
    what about "lol gg"? is the use of lol considered derogatory?

As far as the whispering thing goes, Don't you have to be bnet friends with someone to whisper them on overwatch? Or do I have a setting wrong. I've attempted trolling to no avail.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Are you a 14 year old rebel wearing a Che Guevara shirt?

Yeah, lol ez is a dick move in an overwhelming win. GG is just a courtesy, it does not actually mean that the game was good. It has changed meaning over the years, it used to mean good game. Now it means more like "Good playing with you".

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    what about "lol gg"? is the use of lol considered derogatory?
    Depends in what context you use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    To me the people that throw out GG all the time don't actually mean it.

It has a snooty undertone, because the same people don't say GG when they lose.

You say "good game".

I hear/see "LOSER!"

Just enjoy your win and stfu.
    You've whispered people raging at them before after they said GG, haven't you? Chill out man, it's just a game.

I say GG if I enjoyed the game, win or lose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    No it's not. It's an insult, and you can see clearly it being used as such, by assholes who first during the game taunt the enemy and talk shit, who use insults and all that stuff, then after the game throw "gg".

dude calm down. No need to get salty over a simple discussion of the use of "gg".

What about teams who dont insult or do any taunting during the game, but after a good game (even if its for them), saying "gg"?

How is that an insult?

It's really not. Stop being a damn baby. You're probably just shit at games so you take it as an insult. It's a customary courtesy. Not an insult.

GG

Saying "gg" in an Overwatch game (or any other online game for that matter) to your opponent that you just beat handily, in a complete blowout, isn't the same as "shaking hands after a football game" or "shaking hands after a chess game" or something like that.

It's the same as saying "good game" to the losing football team who just lost 20-0 or to your chess opponent who just lost in three moves. They'll take it as an insult, because it wasn't a "good game". At all.
    How much of a stomp the game was is completely irrelevant, saying gg is just good sportsmanship(even if some people get massively triggered over it)
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

dude calm down. No need to get salty over a simple discussion of the use of "gg".

What about teams who dont insult or do any taunting during the game, but after a good game (even if its for them), saying "gg"?

How is that an insult?
    I hate to agree with Jaylock here and god help me but he is right. GG has been used as a sportsmanlike term for ages in games. Saying shit like "lol easy" or "easy you suck" is derogatory and provocative .

I hate to agree with Jaylock here and god help me but he is right. GG has been used as a sportsmanlike term for ages in games. Saying shit like "lol easy" or "easy you suck" is derogatory and provocative .
    The derogatory ones are way more fun too in real life sports when the team talked shit the whole game and you wipe them. I'm not going to say GG at that point, I'm going to just blatantly tell them they suck. But I'm also an asshole <3

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude @Eleccybubb every time i see your avatar the x-files theme song starts playing in my mind! haha >< My wife watches it all the time and I practically memorized the song..

The derogatory ones are way more fun too in real life sports when the team talked shit the whole game and you wipe them. I'm not going to say GG at that point, I'm going to just blatantly tell them they suck. But I'm also an asshole <3
    Well I wouldn't recommend going upto a hardcore fan and doing it because that will probably end up with you being punched.

- - - Updated - - -

Dude @Eleccybubb every time i see your avatar the x-files theme song starts playing in my mind! haha >< My wife watches it all the time and I practically memorized the song..
    Oh no don't try and butter up to me mate. That shit doesn't work.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it's not. It's an insult, a small jab, when thrown after a game that was won pretty easily. It wasn't a "good game" by any measure. It is absolutely the polar opposite of good manners.

You use gg after a game where both teams fought their hardest, where the winner wasn't clear at any point, and where it came down to the very last seconds to see who wins. That's a good game.

Not one where the other team has 50-0 kills and the other barely gets out of their base alive.
    No, gg is good manners. Do you play LoL or DOTA, or are you just getting pissy because it hurts your feelings?

You acknowledge the game in a sportsmanlike manner if you're being polite. The way the other person takes that polite recognition is their problem, but if they're getting insulted by it then they basically just need to simmer the fuck down.

If you had a shit game and you know it you can always say bg, and recognize your poor play.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post
    I never said it originated in Starcraft. And yeah, you could face a penalty for doing it before the game was over and the opponent had surrendered and typed it himself. That didn't mean the loser just didn't say anything, because then he'd also get a penalty. Which is why games ended with the loser typing gg and surrendering and then the winner typing gg. Oh look, both parties still said gg, how rude of them. And in a lot of games nowadays there isn't time to wait for the loser to type it first, meaning apart from a few super sensitive people, most people just type it regardless of order.
    You know for a fact that you can't say GG in a game that's ended. Surrendering closes the game.

In starcraft example you ether wait for the loser to say GG or you don't say anything at all. The loser can say GG without taking a penalty. The winner can say GG ONLY after the loser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.