https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC-8ghk9ojk review from the guy from BBC is positive

10+ Year Old Account
    Obviously we'll see more when it's released but comments like this (from the Daily Telegraph critic) are funny:

While there's something admirable in Jones's steadfast adherence to naff fantasy tropes, it makes no concession to fans of realism.
    yes, this is definitely the movie to see if you're all about realism...

in general I think you have to discount the reviewers who a) start from the premise that all video game movies inherently suck, 2) who seem anti-fantasy to start with. Similarly, you have to discount audience reviews from people who are Warcraft players (RTS or WoW) since we're biased too.

The real reviews to pay attention to are the ones from critics who seem open minded and review it as a popcorn, fun, summer film (vs an Oscar contender, etc) and audience reviews from people who aren't into Warcraft. If those people like it then it's probably fine. If THEY hate it... it's probably not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Right now, sitting at a disastrous score in RT. It begs the question to what Blizzard was thinking with this shit again.

What was the point?
    "Flop" generally refers to commercial success. We have no idea how this film will do commercially.

I do think it was a bad idea to promote this as a warcraft film rather than publish it under a less recognizeable title, giving the players a heads-up on the game client.
    As I suspected, some reviewers had it in for the film from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by RippedLife View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC-8ghk9ojk review from the guy from BBC is positive
    Thats actually quite a decent review. It's always easier for me to judge tone and intent from the spoken word rather that the written word.

I almost never read the critical reviews on a movie I want to see, but I'm breaking a rule here to make a point. Alonso Dualde is one RT's "Top Critics" that has weighted in on the Warcraft movie. He says it sucks, but then again he gave Dragonball Evolution a 4 out of 5, so what the hell does he know? Everyone should just go see the movie if it interests them and make up their own mind.
    Last edited by swaggs; 2016-05-27 at 06:22 PM. Reason: grammar

It's easy to criticize the critics by pointing out flaws in their arguments. I do wonder though, considering the volume of negative reviews, if it will be indicative of the thoughts/feelings of the general audience.

Most positive reviews seem to be coming from within the fanbase, or from people who actually understand Warcraft. Question is - will the casual fantasy moviegoer be as accepting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

7+ Year Old Account
    It will totally flop! That's why it's the #1 opening movie in like 11 countries right now...

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Gosh. Casuals -- is there anything they CAN'T be blamed for?
    It's definitely their fault that WoW has made so much money.

Quote Originally Posted by RippedLife View Post
    or you know fans who go on the site and give it 10/10 are the idiots
    It's kind of important how fans view a movie.

I didnt realise it opening #1 in 11 countries meant it was a flop. My bad.
    It hasnt even opened in the UK / USA OR China yet.

Too bad it didn't flop. Tons of people have watched it already and theres a lot of great reviews. Who cares with these snobby critics think? They think every movie is terrible if it's not some oscar winning film.

Deleted
    well ofc it's going to have a big opening but well the fan base do more then 1 trip? That's my thought i took 3 times for most star wars movies and a few others fanchines, But this is one where once was enough let me.I am how ever going to install warcraft 2 and let that film slid far back into the cornor of my mind and fell some tears over a passing.

Deleted
    Opening sales for a movie advertised as heavy (and costly) as big ass blockbusters leaving you not without at least a daily 10 seconds dosis of WoW ads on big screens for an entire week when commuting to work and first movie catering to an existing large fanbase where moderately good?

That clearly is a sign of a great movie and counters all the bad reviews people made after paying for it!

Im getting some WoD vibes here again. 30 Million subs soon!
    Last edited by mmoc36f28662f1; 2016-05-27 at 09:33 PM.

Deleted
    I liked the movie, 7.5/10.

That awkward moment when someone believes RT decides whether a movie is a flop or not, beliving in reviews is the new religion. Money decides if a movie is a flop or not, nothing else. If not even the audience liked the movie a sequel might be hard to pull off though.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Deleted
    Just got home from seeing the movie with the family, and all around we thought it was an excellent movie, 2 of us hardcore WoW fans, 2 that played it on and off for years and don't know any lore characters at all, not even the faction leaders, and one who's never touched warcraft in her life. Without spoiling too much, the CG was fantastic, and I mean really fantastic. Almost every character was like-able , we already know the story, though as always when movies are made from such rich stories it's changed a bit to fit into the movie format so if that bugs you it might ruffle your jimmies a bit but you get over it. Fight scenes were great, orcs looked amazing, every scene had a beautiful background, etc etc. It was all around a good movie.

Go see the movie yourself and be the judge, and then you can call judgement day for blizzard movies if you still think it's awful

Just home from seeing the movie. I liked it alot. I'm not a critic so I won't rate it, I go by enjoyment factor and rewatchability and both of those were high.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    "Flop" generally refers to commercial success. We have no idea how this film will do commercially.

I do think it was a bad idea to promote this as a warcraft film rather than publish it under a less recognizeable title, giving the players a heads-up on the game client.
    As I suspected, some reviewers had it in for the film from the start.
    Critics fucking hate movies based on video games by default. They also dislike fantasy movies more than any other speculative fiction genres.

I doubt anyone thought this would be up to the quality of LoTRs, but instead be something that's not horrible and quite entertaining. Just lower your expectations when you watch it and it'll be ok.
    Last edited by MrSerious; 2016-05-27 at 10:20 PM.
    "you can't be serious!!" - yes actually I am.

Quote Originally Posted by swaggs View Post
    I almost never read the critical reviews on a movie I want to see, but I'm breaking a rule here to make a point. Alonso Dualde is one RT's "Top Critics" that has weighted in on the Warcraft movie. He says it sucks, but then again he gave Dragonball Evolution a 4 out of 5, so what the hell does he know? Everyone should just go see the movie if it interests them and make up their own mind.
    they also did not include many or any reviews in foreign language/ from other countries except the English speaking ones

Just saw the movie and I really enjoyed it ! Amazing Fx