Deleted
    just watched the movie here are my cents,

I was so hyped for this movie and ive tried to hype it up for my friends but god did it let me down, when i say the pacing in the movie is horrible u might think how bad can it be right ? let me just say u have no idea, i cant belive for 1 second this is the movie duncan made and was hopefull about, it reallly feels like half of the movie is missing. allt dialouges and fight scenes are so fast that i have no words, i was expecting me to cry like a baby in a certant moment when a orc **** but when it was all said and done i was just empty,
    when i say this movie is not more than 6/10 i really stretch the line here,

Pros, the orcs and the magic in this movie is so good that the guys should get some prize for it, its really amazing, that alone is the only thing that get this movie 6/10.
    i would argue that the magic and the orcs are the best yet in the making, when duncan said in an interview , we are the cool kids now atleast for the time, its really that.

last cents are, i think i set my self up for failure since i expected to much, i really was 100 % i would get invested in the characters but man its really hollow u cant feel for them unless u know the story and read the books which i have.

if there is another one and i wouldnt bet on it, if they nailed it, it pretty much confirm the goal for this movie, rush threw it and set up thrall its basically thralls pre movie if u will. if another movie like this would come out and feel so hollow warcraft will never be able to astablish a universe whit multiple movies.

i love warcraft i love movies i feel really bumbed down right one, still worth the money dont get me wrong but one and done basically.
    Last edited by mmoc663cd3932e; 2016-05-27 at 09:36 PM.

I liked the movie If you're a warcraft player, heck even a wow player you will notice the differences.. But that shouldnt be something that dissapoints tbh.. If they directly copied lore over to the film no one that comes from wow or warcraft universe would be hyped to see something that they know step by step.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    No, because it takes time to set everything up before you can even tell the story. Spending the first 15 minutes of Fellowship on setting up the history allowed them to do the job quite well. Not sure why they couldn't have done some of that with Warcraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by tangocash View Post
    It's a fantasy film with tons of characters, it needs to be longer than just 2 hours. Everyone complains it was rushed, and they wanted more. It's a shame they didn't just make the movie longer. Many great scenes were cut too.
    I never said it was. It is a movie that has a lot to set up for people who are uninitiated though. They didn't do enough of that and another 15-30 minutes for those kinds of things would have fleshed out the movie much better. Even the people who enjoyed it are saying such things...
    It depends on what material was left on the cutting floor. Sure, a longer movie would have been better, but it just wasn't plausible for the theatrical cut, and they should have seen it at the script stage.

Another important point, the effects on the cut stuff is most likely not done either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    I think he knows well how this shit works and I think he kinda had a taste already when he made Source Code.
    There is a significant difference, though. Source Code was extremely successful for its budget. Here, his bosses jumping in and not allowing him to release the movie as he saw it in his own head has resulted in shitty reviews (they'd probably have still been somewhat shitty, but not this much) and will probably result in a crappy box office, as well as perhaps no sequel (or if we get one, we'll probably have to wait an extra few years for the finances to get sorted, as it usually goes).

Overall, not his choice, but it sounds like an extremely frustrating situation. I'd probably be lying in my bed crying all day. Either that or planning the assassination of whoever decided for him what version of the movie's getting released.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Fans always want more. The pacing was off, but 2 hours is normal length, so throwing more screentime at it is the lazy fix, and there is a reason every movie isn't 2 1/2 hours long.
    There is also a reason why every movie that has an element of world-building is longer than 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    There is also a reason why every movie that has an element of world-building is longer than 2 hours.
    List them.

Overall, not his choice, but it sounds like an extremely frustrating situation. I'd probably be lying in my bed crying all day. Either that or planning the assassination of whoever decided for him what version of the movie's getting released.
    That's what I was trying to say before.
    Poor Duncan.

10+ Year Old Account
    List them.
    It takes time to world-build. And no story actually happens during that time.

Sorry, one reason.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be trying to get my next job lined up over in Europe based on the opening Warcraft had over there.
    Now he only has a to find another Hollywood in Europe to finance him. ^^

Sorry, one reason.
    Combining story and world-building is possible and essential.

10+ Year Old Account
    Combining story and world-building is possible and essential.
    Of course. Simultaneously, some world-building always has to happen before the story actually starts happening. Take The Guardian for example. You can either introduce Medivh as this "Guardian" in the movie literally at the moment he enters the story, which would leave everyone wondering what's this Guardian business. You can also add a scene at the start explaining the whole concept in an appropriate fashion. That scene at the start wouldn't actually do anything but set up Dalaran as a location and The Guardian as an element of the fictional world of Azeroth.

Deleted
    By the way i think the early release date in EU has a lot to do with the Football Championship which starts june 10th. That would have hurt the Box Office quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    I think that they might have done some changes to the original animation. It looked like baby Thrall was moving a little differently from the original trailer when I watched the movie.
    But that wasn't the same shot. This is the scene right after he has looked at the little boy

I just want to hug Duncan Jones after this.
    Looks like it's not even his fault (if the movie wasn't cut, probably 99% of the complaints I've read would not even exist)

Of course. Simultaneously, some world-building always has to happen before the story actually starts happening. Take The Guardian for example. You can either introduce Medivh as this "Guardian" in the movie literally at the moment he enters the story, which would leave everyone wondering what's this Guardian business. You can also add a scene at the start explaining the whole concept in an appropriate fashion. That scene at the start wouldn't actually do anything but set up Dalaran as a location and The Guardian as an element of the fictional world of Azeroth.
    I don't think it is too hard to figure out what a guy called the Guardian does.

Sorry, one reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Now he only has a to find another Hollywood in Europe to finance him. ^^
    He's making Mute, his baby with Paul Rudd. He's fine. The question is will Warcraft be fine?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tangocash View Post
    He's making Mute, his baby with Paul Rudd. He's fine. The question is will Warcraft be fine?
    Maybe. Maybe not. Certaintly not in the eyes of the 'critics'.

7+ Year Old Account
    CG is the probable culprit for film length.

$160 million budget, 2h3m ($100 mill listed on Google, but accepting an article source)
    $237 million budget, 2h42m @ Avatar; also highly CG, 39 minutes longer

148% budget, 131% duration
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anduin94 View Post
    I just want to hug Duncan Jones after this.
    Looks like it's not even his fault (if the movie wasn't cut, probably 99% of the complaints I've read would not even exist)
    We don't know that for sure since nobody has seen the cut content, but yeah - pretty much every complaint i had is related to the pacing. Well, except the Soundtrack which i thought was pretty weak, but i expected that, i'm just not a huge fan of Ramin Djawadi

Just saw the movie. Came in expected nothing, and was pleasantly surprised.

Garona didn't make me groan like I had thought she would. Wasn't much forced romance or such, the Orcs were amazing (Although I didn't like how quickly they went back to following Gul'dan after the first Mak'gora) and magic was portrayed in a really, really good way. And while they strayed from the "Demon blood" storyline I really liked the explanation and story of the "Fel" that the movie focused so much on. It was just a really good way to tell the story.

Issues, as others have said, was pacing. I was really afraid my non-Warcraft playing companion would be lost in those first 30 minutes where they skip from Draenor, to Black Morass, to Ironforge, to Stormwind, to Goldshire in a span of a couple of minutes. Also so many characters introduced so quickly! (kind of glad they didn't shove ALL the orc names down the audience's throat, with Kargath Bladefist and Grom Hellscream and the rest it'd likely get very confusing)

I also felt they told such a small part of the First War, not even finishing it. I would've wanted more repercussions for Gul'dan too. And an inspiring speech or something prior to the battle would've been superb, I really wanted one of those "Wrathgate cinematic" charges. "Rise up sons of the Horde! Blood and glory await us!". You know, that stuff that gets the blood pumping!

But, for what it was... I was pleasantly surprised. I expected nothing, and got something really good. I'd put it at 7 or 8/10.

Quote Originally Posted by callyx View Post
    We don't know that for sure since nobody has seen the cut content, but yeah - pretty much every complaint i had is related to the pacing. Well, except the Soundtrack which i thought was pretty weak, but i expected that, i'm just not a huge fan of Ramin Djawadi
    Well we do know stuff is cut. A bunch of what we've seen in the trailers and clips and previews didn't make it into the movie.

The leaked Gul'dan footage we saw a lot around the dark portal? That particular speech (which I loved) never happened, and also "They're beasts. They must all be destroyed" never happened, etc.

I cant remember if the orcs running in snow scene happened either, but I dont recall it happening