Warcraft will be panned by critics, and mostly rightly so.
    But it will make its millions by its fans.

In other words, its the Twilight Saga all over again.

That's right, I just said Warcraft = Twilight

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Big world building films are almost all 2.5 hours long. 2 hours is short for these kinds of films.
    It could have something to do with the summer release, which wasn't planned from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    There is a significant difference, though. Source Code was extremely successful for its budget. Here, his bosses jumping in and not allowing him to release the movie as he saw it in his own head has resulted in shitty reviews (they'd probably have still been somewhat shitty, but not this much) and will probably result in a crappy box office, as well as perhaps no sequel (or if we get one, we'll probably have to wait an extra few years for the finances to get sorted, as it usually goes).

Overall, not his choice, but it sounds like an extremely frustrating situation. I'd probably be lying in my bed crying all day. Either that or planning the assassination of whoever decided for him what version of the movie's getting released.
    I think you're blowing the issue out of proportion. Those mentioning the lenght issue or the half-assed character development are those who at least appareciated something of the movie or acknowledged it to be somewhat good at least. The people who shitted on this would have found reasons to shit on this anyway. Longer movie? They would have complained about the long, stagnant sequences indulging in characters not relevant to the plot and so on. I don't mean that it wasn't going to be a better movie in its full version, but I don't think is going to affect the box office. This was a tough sell anyway. We just have to accept it.

I know the "art" critics use because I'm able to use it myself, I just don't like doing it. A "good" critic knows how to turn gold into shit and shit into gold. All it requires is good and "smart" writing. In the end what matters is the mindset with which they decide to review a product. That is what will mostly determine what kind of review you'll see, more than any other reason attached to the actual quality of the movie.

This said, is still probable that a longer version would have benefitted the movie in some way. Not necessarily for the most "general" of the audience (which is probably why such cuts were made) but for those who complained about character development. Fact is, the movie does a lot world building and good chunk of that development got cut. Those complaining about that would hardly do that right now with an extended version (which still doesn't mean that I necessarily think than an extended version was a must, I think they truly wanted to sell Warcraft as summer blockbuster through and through, short and enjoyable).
    Last edited by Zulkhan; 2016-05-27 at 09:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Did the critics already destroyed the movie?

7+ Year Old Account
    CGI ain't cheap. I still think that $160 sounds low for what's in the film, but if Blizzard picked up some of the tab maybe that's not being counted?
    I doubt they did, or that it wouldn't be counted if they did. Probably the money stretches a bit further, now, and our reward is more orc movement. :P
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

One of my biggest worries right now is how little of the story they've told. If it's going to take 9 movies to tell the stories they want to tell(assuming First and Second Wars as well as Lich King) then they need to start off strong.
    Yeah me too. I knew Stormwind wasn't going to burn going in but having no repercussions for Gul'dan and letting him live, and ending the movie at a really awkward time? What became of the orcs that remained? Where did they go? What's Gul'dan going to do now? It's kind of abrupt

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    If anyone is interested or have a BBC channel in your country, Dominic Cooper is on the Graham Norton Show.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHMRulez1 View Post
    Did the critics already destroyed the movie?
    In their small world, yes! ...they're definitely going to impact it negatively.

Quote Originally Posted by OreoLover View Post
    CG is the probable culprit for film length.

$160 million budget, 2h3m ($100 mill listed on Google, but accepting an article source)
    $237 million budget, 2h42m @ Avatar; also highly CG, 39 minutes longer

148% budget, 131% duration
    For one, CG characters that are already done don't really cost much to use for a bit more.

And then there's the fact that we know some of the parts were cut just a couple months ago, which means most post-production was already done.

They even made trolls, who didn't make the final cut. We don't know at what point of their development they were cut, but at the very least they had basic models for the mo-cap actors to see while they performed. That's literally wasted money if they don't make any sequels where they can use them.

I don't think budget was the main reason behind these cuts. I think the studio has never had much faith in the film, as evidenced by the terrible marketing team they hired, so they tried to make it as action-focused as they could, and that implied cutting the "boring dialogs" that now the film apparently lacks.

And yeah, we can't be sure most of those scenes were character-building, but if Jones' two previous films are anything to go by, they probably were.

7+ Year Old Account
    Well. It seems that videogames movies have no way to result good

Better luck next time.

I just came back from seeing this movie and I am so happy to say that I totally loved it! It was great! What annoys me though is that in the end, and this is not a spoiler (if you think it is you are an idiot), they yell "For the Alliance!". Having loved 96% of the movie, it annoys me that the very last thing they do is pull some popular crap like that leaving me twisting from the wonderful feeling of excitement for what could come next, to grudgingly telling my company "but the Alliance hasn't been formed yet!". It's not that it was a big deal. It's not even that I play Horde, hehe. It's that it was completely unnecessary to throw it in there! It was only because it's a popular chant, but it shouldn't be there. So unnecessary. But hey. If this is my review, and that's what I complain about... then you can trust this movie was pretty fuckin' awesome (in this random Internet-forum-poster's opinion anyways). What's more, though, is that this is really the kind of movie you want to go see on the cinema. The special effects. Wow. And I'm not talking about the game. I mean.. wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Warcraft is not LOTR or Avatar.

Except it tries to cram more things in less time. Warcraft has bigger scope than LOTR and Avatar didn't even have a scope. If Duncan knew it will be edited heaily, he should have aimed for less and kept lot of things out?

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by The Great Mankrik View Post
    no repercussions for Gul'dan and letting him live
    Killing Gul'dan in this first movie would have heavily gone against the lore, unless you didn't manage to cram all the First and Second Wars in one movie, which was virtually impossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Quote Originally Posted by jdbond592 View Post
    Except it tries to cram more things in less time. Warcraft has bigger scope than LOTR and Avatar didn't even have a scope. If Duncan knew it will be edited heaily, he should have aimed for less and kept lot of things out?
    How could he have known the studio would try to turn his character-focused fantasy war movie into The Fast & the Furious: Elwynn Drift 3+ years in advance?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    For one, CG characters that are already done don't really cost much to use for a bit more.

And then there's the fact that we know some of the parts were cut just a couple months ago, which means most post-production was already done.

They even made trolls, who didn't make the final cut. We don't know at what point of their development they were cut, but at the very least they had basic models for the mo-cap actors to see while they performed. That's literally wasted money if they don't make any sequels where they can use them.

I don't think budget was the main reason behind these cuts. I think the studio has never had much faith in the film, as evidenced by the terrible marketing team they hired, so they tried to make it as action-focused as they could, and that implied cutting the "boring dialogs" that now the film apparently lacks.

And yeah, we can't be sure most of those scenes were character-building, but if Jones' two previous films are anything to go by, they probably were.
    Shame they can't just turn around and say "release the Director's Cut!" if faith is the issue, given their results.

EDIT: And CG includes a lot of work beyond the characters, so budget definitely plays some non-minor role.
    Last edited by OreoLover; 2016-05-27 at 10:08 PM.

Yeah me too. I knew Stormwind wasn't going to burn going in but having no repercussions for Gul'dan and letting him live, and ending the movie at a really awkward time? What became of the orcs that remained? Where did they go? What's Gul'dan going to do now? It's kind of abrupt
    Nothing in this movie seems to have any consequence. You kill someone and it doesn't really matter outside of "oh, he is dead". In story, BH's death results in purging of horde. King dies and humans lose. Here people are just killed for...shock factor?

Deleted
    Well we do know stuff is cut. A bunch of what we've seen in the trailers and clips and previews didn't make it into the movie.

The leaked Gul'dan footage we saw a lot around the dark portal? That particular speech (which I loved) never happened, and also "They're beasts. They must all be destroyed" never happened, etc.
    You're right , i worded that badly. What i meant was we haven't seen all of the missing footage and we don't know how they play out in context or if it actually contributed to building the characters in a meaningful way.
    Although i might have to eat my words here, i'm looking through the movie novelization previews again and if they are any indication of the missing scenes i'm sure it would have helped.

Better luck next time.
    So just because the critics dislike it (not all the critics do btw.) does that mean its a failed attempt? No way. The public really like this movie and it has received a lot of praise in European reviews

Quote Originally Posted by OreoLover View Post
    Shame they can't just turn around and say "release the Director's Cut!" if faith is the issue, given their results.
    It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. The less effort they put, the more likely it is to fail, justifying the lack of effort.

The sad part is that some people tried, and they gave it all. I'll respect Duncan Jones, Toby Kebbell, Rob Kazinsky, Paula Patton, Ben Foster and ILM a lot after this, no matter how the movie ends up doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    How could he have known the studio would try to turn his character-focused fantasy war movie into The Fast & the Furious: Elwynn Drift 3+ years in advance?
    I think it probably is your job as director to know such things. It is hard to imagine Duncan made a 4.5 hr movie and it was chopped down to 2. All movies get edited. If director cut only adds 30-40 mins to length, Duncan wasn't aiming for much in first place. If LOTR is any proof, Director cut really doesn't enhance movie that much. You shouldn't rely on director's cut to save a mediocre movie. It should have been average with cuts.

Deleted

Better luck next time.
    How fickle are you? lol. If you are a Warcraft fan then you should see the movie and make up your own mind, don't rely on reviews by critics too concerned with protecting their reputation (giving boring Woody Allen shit 10/10 and anything with CGI 1/10).