Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Exclamation First discovery in United States of colistin resistance in a human E. coli infection

Public Release: 26-May-2016
    First discovery in United States of colistin resistance in a human E. coli infection

SILVER SPRING, MD. - The Multidrug Resistant Organism Repository and Surveillance Network (MRSN) at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) characterized a transferrable gene for colistin resistance in the United States that may herald the emergence of truly pan-drug resistant bacteria.

Colistin is the last agent used to combat bacteria that are resistant to the strongest antibiotics. Colistin has remained the best tool available to treat multidrug resistant bacteria because bacteria were not exchanging genes for its resistance. This latest discovery shows that colistin may be losing its effectiveness in antimicrobial therapy. Now, bacteria may be exchanging resistance genes for colistin.

Alarms sounded in the microbiology community in late 2015 when the first transferrable gene for colistin-resistance was identified in China. Since the report, the global health community has monitored and searched for the occurrence of this gene in the food supply and in humans. This colistin-resistance gene has been reported in Europe and Canada and, as of now, is reported in the U.S.

A clinical sample from a urinary tract infection was collected from a patient in a military treatment facility in Pennsylvania. The sample was sent to the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (WRNMMC) where colistin susceptibility was tested. The results showed that no safe dosage of colistin would be effective to treat such a bacterial infection. WRNMMC recognized colistin-resistance and sent a sample to WRAIR's MRSN for sequencing, which identified the colistin-resistant gene, mcr-1.
    (Source)

The Dark Age of Medicine Cometh! Quake in fear thy gathered masses the plagues will soon return.

But seriously, this will soon be a major issue as bacteria do their Horizontal gene transfer to pass the resistance around. Colistin is by the way the last ditch effort for an infection if all other Antibiotics fail. If that can't cure you, your basically fucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    I'll remember to wipe from front to back. Thanks for the tip!

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't eat poop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Don't eat poop.
    Actually, that may be a solution to some infections.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Herald of the Titans OnlineSamantha's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I always wondered what would happen if the pill broke. Horrifying thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpresident View Post
    My words exactly. Manufacturing in the US is considerably more expensive than elsewhere, and part of that are savage regulations such as environment protection or minimum wages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Saying that Wilson is a racist murderer is the same level of conspiracy as saying Sandy Hook didn't happen and the parents are in on it.
    I don't post that often, and when I do it's often in bursts. I always lurk though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vomlix View Post
    I always wondered what would happen if the pill broke. Horrifying thought.
    The "oh gross" factor aside, it probably wouldn't taste any worse than many other medications, lots of which are insanely bitter.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind

bacteria, the literal largest killer of humans since the dawn of time, becomes immune to the last line of defense that humans have

opinions on the subject on mmo-c varied from, ill be fine because im not gross, to, LOL EATING POOP IS BAD

Deleted
    Feels like it's about time to start developing "Join or Die" nanomachines that would approach those bacteria and sub atomically recomposition them into nutrients or tear them apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    Feels like it's about time to start developing "Join or Die" nanomachines that would approach those bacteria and sub atomically recomposition them into nutrients or tear them apart.
    and then the universe turns a lovely shade of gray.

also, molecules are much, much larger than atoms.

lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apples View Post
    and then the universe turns a lovely shade of gray.

lol.
    That was just a figure of speech about the sub atomic part.
    Anyway what do you mean about the whole "shade of gray" thing?

That was just a figure of speech about the sub atomic part.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo

10+ Year Old Account

Out of control self-replicating nanomachines as seen in various sci-fi pieces.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on what molecule and what atom you're talking about. An atom of sodium is more massive than a molecule of water.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post

Out of control self-replicating nanomachines as seen in various sci-fi pieces.
    Oh that? Simple hotfix with two steps:

1) Properly define and apply Three Laws of Robotics
    2) Install a safety mechanic that automatically turns off any replication functions upon reaching certain numbers

Oh that? Simple hotfix with two steps:

1) Properly define and apply Three Laws of Robotics
    2) Install a safety mechanic that automatically turns off any replication functions upon reaching certain numbers
    anytime you see asimov's 3 laws in a story, that story is gonna be about how the robot managed to get around those 3 laws

this makes me think youre a robot from the future trying to set humans on the path towards their own destruction

Deleted
    I trust modern medicine to keep finding answers, simply because they earn megatruvkloads full of cash for doing it. Long live greed n the corporate machine.

I think ill be kay

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gombado View Post
    Long live greed n the corporate machine.
    Corporate greed is a major source of this problem both in the form of pharmaceutic companies investing more in their advertising budgets than in R&D, and directing that R&D towards more profitable lines of drugs than antibiotics, and also agriculture companies using antibiotics to push their profits.

Deleted
    anytime you see asimov's 3 laws in a story, that story is gonna be about how the robot managed to get around those 3 laws

this makes me think youre a robot from the future trying to set humans on the path towards their own destruction
    Thats where the "properly define" part comes in. I guess 4th law would be.
    4) Dont think for yourself and/or improvise. You're here to serve and follow orders. Nothing else.

Now we just have to hope no insane bleeding heart individuals will tamper with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats where the "properly define" part comes in. I guess 4th law would be.
    4) Dont think for yourself and/or improvise. You're here to serve and follow orders. Nothing else.

Now we just have to hope no insane bleeding heart individuals will tamper with it.
    And then somebody gives a poorly thought out order and turns it into a paperclip maximizer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    And then somebody gives a poorly thought out order and turns it into a paperclip maximizer.
    Paprclip maximizer ignores first law which robot can not do.

10+ Year Old Account
    So what do you propose i do about it?