Page 38 of 128 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    It's a shame that a few critics trashing it because it's a video game movie are probably going to tank any chances of a sequel, because from what I can tell, fans and the general public who have seen it mostly liked it. Hopefully it will pull enough money from china to get a sequel with better marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    That's a dumb prediction.
    "We predict it won't do good in the US even though it's #1 in the eleven countries that already released it because Rotten tomatoes ranks it low."
    Rotten Tomatoes, shitty as it may be, still has a "95% want to see". But I guess we ignore that?

It's beating Marvel and DC in those other countries.
    So I don't see how this movie is going to be a flop.
    Why are you saying it was number 1 in 11 countries, when the quote from your own post says it was number 1 in only one of those countries, Germany? It was number 2 in Russia, and it doesn't even say where it ranked in the other 9, but we can assume it was less than second, otherwise it would have been mentioned.

I would check your own ability to read and remember what you post before you start throwing accusations like "dumb" at other people.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Why are you saying it was number 1 in 11 countries, when the quote from your own post says it was number 1 in only one of those countries, Germany? It was number 2 in Russia, and it doesn't even say where it ranked in the other 9, but we can assume it was less than second, otherwise it would have been mentioned.

I would check your own ability to read and remember what you post before you start throwing accusations like "dumb" at other people.
    Oh the irony. Warcraft was by far 1st in Russia - what it says is that it was the second highest opening for the year, behind Deadpool.

"Russia generated a first-place launch with $2.8 million, which marks the second-biggest opening day of 2016 behind only “Deadpool.” It is the seventh-biggest opening day of all time in Russia and the fifth biggest non-holiday opening day ever."

"France saw a first-place launch on Wednesday with $983,000. The two-day total has hit $1.5 million. Austria opened Thursday with $280,000 and a 48% market share."

“Warcraft” also opened No. 1 in Denmark, Egypt, Hungary, Indonesia, Lebanon, Switzerland, Thailand and the United Arab Emirates. The film, which carries a $160 million price tag, will also launch this weekend in Norway and Sweden."

(Variety)

I would thus check your ability to research before talking. Lel.
    Last edited by mmoc8cbb5e3d24; 2016-05-28 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SexyManipulator View Post
    Oh the irony. Warcraft was by far 1st in Russia - what it says is that it was the second highest opening for the year, behind Deadpool.

"Russia generated a first-place launch with $2.8 million, which marks the second-biggest opening day of 2016 behind only “Deadpool.” It is the seventh-biggest opening day of all time in Russia and the fifth biggest non-holiday opening day ever."

"France saw a first-place launch on Wednesday with $983,000. The two-day total has hit $1.5 million. Austria opened Thursday with $280,000 and a 48% market share."

“Warcraft” also opened No. 1 in Denmark, Egypt, Hungary, Indonesia, Lebanon, Switzerland, Thailand and the United Arab Emirates. The film, which carries a $160 million price tag, will also launch this weekend in Norway and Sweden."

(Variety)

I would thus check your ability to research before talking. Lel.
    Why should I do any research, when I was comparing what was said in two contradictory posts by the same poster? I wasn't even suggesting which one was correct, if you read my post back. Just making a comparison between the two.

Talking of research though, you might want to check out "irony". In the immortal words of The Princess Bride "I do not think it means what you think it means".
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Deleted
    Both X-Men and Warcraft are doing really well for rotten films in Thailand. Even the 70$ tickets for the premium theatres are selling like crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    How is somebody supposed to make those decisions without information? It's not like people can just independently, magically know whether a movie is worth their time before actually seeing the movie. That's what why movie reviews exist; without them the only way for people to decide which movies to spend their money on would be advertising (obviously biased information) and maybe word-of-mouth.
    I have never throughout my life put any weight behind a video game or movie review. I don't give a rat's ass whether other people likes something or not.
    If I'm interested in getting a game, I watch gameplay footage without commentary. If I'm interested in a movie, I watch the trailer. Simple as that really. For instance, I watched the trailer for the Warcraft movie and came to the conclusion that it wasn't for me. I can't remember the last time my intuition failed me.
    Having said that, overwhelmingly good reviews might make me become aware of a product I otherwise wouldn't have known about so there's that.
    Strength Determination Merciless Forever

Armory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post

Let's be serious here, the only people interested in this movie with be actual Warcraft fans.
    My best friend and her boyfriend both want to see it. My best friend is FAAAAAAR from being likely to want to see ANYTHING fantasy.

Also the majority of people in my work, who dont play warcraft also want to see it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Why should I do any research, when I was comparing what was said in two contradictory posts by the same poster? I wasn't even suggesting which one was correct, if you read my post back. Just making a comparison between the two.

Talking of research though, you might want to check out "irony". In the immortal words of The Princess Bride "I do not think it means what you think it means".
    It is only prudent that you research the accuracy of your own post before accusing the other person for being misleading. You assumed it was second and whatnot and then say he is wrong, when you were wrong.

This is where irony weeps in, and I know precisely what it means.
    Last edited by mmoc8cbb5e3d24; 2016-05-28 at 09:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushu View Post
    My best friend and her boyfriend both want to see it. My best friend is FAAAAAAR from being likely to want to see ANYTHING fantasy.

Also the majority of people in my work, who dont play warcraft also want to see it.
    Of course there will be some, but c'mon...think about what South Park did for the WoW stereotypes. And stories of kids dying from playing for days straight and gaming addiction, violence in game causing kids to act violent. The majority of average people likely won't have much interest in this movie. I could be wrong, but the public view of WoW isn't really a positive one, in my experience that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    It was/is never going to do very well among non-players, it's really just a generic fantasy tale, no matter how much emphasis they put on the good orcs and teaming up elements. It comes across as a cheesier version of lord of the rings.

I feel it would have been better received if it were actually very dark and grim, like the first two games. Would have been more compelling I think.
    gnomes with pink pigtails

so dark, so grim
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcotraz View Post
    Warcraft will still do relatively well overall, but it won't breach $500 million, not even with China's projected numbers.
    What about we wait and see before jumping on unprincipled conclusions?

Quote Originally Posted by SexyManipulator View Post
    Warcraft was by far 1st in Russia
    Because everyone and their mother in Russia and Ukraine was playing a bootleg localized Warcraft II game. That's just nostalgia and a "WoW" movie for new generations.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Because everyone and their mother in Russia and Ukraine was playing a bootleg localized Warcraft II game. That's just a nostalgia and a "WoW" movie for new generations.
    And that... changes absolutely nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've literally never ever cared for any of those critic sites, because I believe finding a movie entertaining (which is the single most important aspect of a movie) is 95% subjective.

I'll just go watch it and hope it stays true to its Warcraft roots.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcotraz View Post
    http://screenrant.com/warcraft-box-office-predictions/

Ouch.

Besides, "opening numbers." It's like people have already forgotten BvS' historic opening numbers, & its subsequent colossal week-over-week drops.
    Every movie works differently, it's a new franchise people aren't familiar yet, people generally wait the first few days before going to the movies, depending on what people say about it. Second, US market is quite unimportant for any movie, 70% of all revenue comes from Asia and Europe. The movie will do well in those two continents. Looking at most Chinese movies they average around 280-300 million usd revenue, so if Warcraft is really selling that many tickets, they could pick up their entire budget just in China alone.

Generally the first movie of a new franchise is never going to be that amazing in sales (It's not like LOTR which had actual books predating the movie by nearly 5 decades, and were bestsellers), but it's important it makes people curious for the second, people will see it on their digital tvs, or even buy the bluray at some point, and if they are excited and want to see the second, then the first movie succeeded.

Also again it's projection, a majority of people don't even buy their tickets in advance, so it could turn out very differently.

Not to mention if Legendary doesn't wanna fund, I'm fairly sure Blizzard will and can fund Wacraft 2 themselves.
    Last edited by mmoc925aeb179c; 2016-05-28 at 10:15 AM.

Most of the reviews I have read make the same points over and over again. Particularly a weak story line which does little to explain the back story behind where we are alongside a range of weak actors who do little to add charisma to the movie. Imagine if you had never played the game and knew nothing of the Warcraft universe when seeing this movie - It easily leaves you confused.

I have my tickets booked for Monday and shall make my own solid judgement then. With that said however, every trailer has left me feeling underwhelmed, it just doesn't look good to me and the dialogue has done little to change my current stance.

With that said, low expectations could leave me pleasantly surprised. What does genuinely concern me is how numerous reviews all make the same complaints regarding it's weaknesses.

I'm probably not going to like it. Not because it's a game movie, but because I don't like retcons. It might be the best movie ever made but if it's changed from the original story then that's going to bother me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arenis View Post
    I've literally never ever cared for any of those critic sites, because I believe finding a movie entertaining (which is the single most important aspect of a movie) is 95% subjective.
    That's the way even an only somewhat intelligent person should go about. Agreed.

And regarding ratings..
    Not sure if posted before, but this is some decent food for thoughts:
    http://www.theguardian.com/news/data...-critics-hated
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    Most of the reviews I have read make the same points over and over again. Particularly a weak story line which does little to explain the back story behind where we are alongside a range of weak actors who do little to add charisma to the movie. Imagine if you had never played the game and knew nothing of the Warcraft universe when seeing this movie - It easily leaves you confused.

I have my tickets booked for Monday and shall make my own solid judgement then. With that said however, every trailer has left me feeling underwhelmed, it just doesn't look good to me and the dialogue has done little to change my current stance.

With that said, low expectations could leave me pleasantly surprised. What does genuinely concern me is how numerous reviews all make the same complaints regarding it's weaknesses.
    I watched the movie yesterday and I don't agree, the characters are well developed, better than in most movies nowadays, the reviews I read agreed with it, you are reading the amateur reviews, all they can do is find negative points and focus on that, a good reviewer sees the good and the bad. A good example of that is the BBC guy that reviewed the movie, his review was fairly spot on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    I'm probably not going to like it. Not because it's a game movie, but because I don't like retcons. It might be the best movie ever made but if it's changed from the original story then that's going to bother me.
    There's subtle changes to make it more watchable, but in the big lines it follows or enhances the main lore.

Also you watch it for the movie, and not the lore. There's literally 0 movies that stick to their books.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzo View Post
    Most "good" review I'm reading are rating it 60-75% saying it's decent, but no where near a phenomenal. It's too short and feels rushed at certain points. Not enough time is given to the story with the short run time. Some people are saying it would have been better with a length comparable to LOTR.
    Can say I didn't feel it was rushed, some parts yes, exactly the same for LOTR and Hobbit, but if you wanted to add those extra lines, you'd probably have a 4 hour movie, which would effectively double the production costs and would be too long for viewers to enjoy. Also LOTR was barely 20 minutes longer than Warcraft, so it would have maybe explained one story line a bit better, but it would still leave out all the other story lines that could have been expanded.