Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The ONLY thing i miss from vanilla is the zones. Only thing that gives me flashbacks and get my nostalgia going. Most zones where just ruined in cata. It still better to level in them now tho. Quest flow is much better. But the vanilla zones is where i experienced the game for the first time. got a lot of memories. But all in all. Nothing but nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    Most zones where just ruined in cata. It still better to level in them now tho. Quest flow is much better.
    Yes, questing is often less tedious and more funny these days but indeed the amount of places they dropped apocalypse on matches the title "Cataclysm". Traversing darkshore or getting from northern to southern barrens is annoying with all these precipices. Also we've lost some towns that are complete ruins now. Southshore, Taurajo, Freewind Post, Auberdine, Silverwind Refuge, at least Theramore and Nethergarde you can phase back. Btw how come it's only Alliance and Tauren towns that got hit... Poor Taurens tbh lorewise they got smacked from all sides in Cata while Orcs and Forsaken aggressively landgrabbed.

Also will never forgive them deleting from the game some vendors that sold unique patterns.

Oh, and stripping lvl 1 chars from the free shirt. Why, tell me why?

Why is Vanilla zone nostalgia mutually exclusive with liking the revamped zones? I too had a lot of fond memories of Vanilla zones, but I can't for the life of me understand how the new zones are objectively worse now that they have actual stories.

The problem isn't with the zones themselves, it's with the direction the game went in- leveling is way too easy and older players probably power through the zones with heirlooms. Ultimately, people don't get a chance to form meaningful memories or connections.

Seriously, people are so masochistic. Vanilla zone questing was tedium to the max.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    I can't think of a single zone that improved with Cataclysm.
    Westfall, Redridge, Durotan, Thousand Needles, and Desolace were huge improvements IMO. I would rather see zones change to reflect things that happen game and fail than be the same old stagnant boring shit from 2004.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by raveberry View Post
    Every zone has a way better questing experience after Cataclysm, if you put off your pink nostalgia glasses of course. But people on these forums tend to do that rarely.
    I think people tend to take the silliness of some of the quests out of proportion when others say the questing experience is better. It is by far and above a much better experience to have a good path through connected zoned than having to cross the continent to go to the other continent to finish a quest. Some were ok like the Paladin hammer or Warrior axe quests, but most were just time consuming. Which is funny, becasue one of the things looked so fondly upon Vanilla was it's questing experience. One of the biggest artificially slowed time sinks that was ever in this game. No one bitched about it back then, but god forbid modern WoW add a time sink like slower leveling and people riot.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolcan View Post
    having one of my most favorite places taken away is so sad. Thousand needles carried alot of Nostalgia, from questing to gathering mets, and to well to ganking It has this atmosphere that reminded me of the old warcraft, specially the elevators stuck between this area and barrens just looking at thousand needles from the top is soo epic. I dont know if you agree but I wish the water goes away already.
    I agree, I miss the Old TN. The whole "water world" thing just didn't work for me.

Still waiting for Magatha to make a move sadly...

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    No, it was too much like Tanaris back then. Questing from one to the other was redundant.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

10+ Year Old Account
    Basically no, for me Thousand Needles was one of the most boring zones in old times. New one is not amazing either, but I'd say it's less shit, which is already improvement.

I leveled more than once in old Thousand Needles and I don't really miss it tbh. I do miss the view of being on the ground and looking up at the rock formations but quest wise I liked new Thousand needles a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Westfall, Redridge, Durotan, Thousand Needles, and Desolace were huge improvements IMO. I would rather see zones change to reflect things that happen game and fail than be the same old stagnant boring shit from 2004.

- - - Updated - - -

I think people tend to take the silliness of some of the quests out of proportion when others say the questing experience is better. It is by far and above a much better experience to have a good path through connected zoned than having to cross the continent to go to the other continent to finish a quest. Some were ok like the Paladin hammer or Warrior axe quests, but most were just time consuming. Which is funny, becasue one of the things looked so fondly upon Vanilla was it's questing experience. One of the biggest artificially slowed time sinks that was ever in this game. No one bitched about it back then, but god forbid modern WoW add a time sink like slower leveling and people riot.
    first they cry about questing being boring and fast, now that Blizz increased mob dmg, health pool and nerfed the dungeon xp by half, people start whining about it being time-consuming. Fml, i played on Nost, i played in TBC, but questing was the part I hated the most and rerolling another class was a painful experience. So idk why they whine. Probably there just always has to be ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶L̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶K̶i̶n̶g̶ a reason to call blizzard shitty

Deleted
    I miss the feeling of adventure but that probably has more to do with me playing this game for so long,
    Everything just seemed way more mysterious before cata
    Altho zones like Silverpine are really good now in terms of story

Yes, i miss the old zones dearly, and most of them was completely butchered in Cataclysm.

Barrens, Desolace, Tanaris, Thousand Needles... all got ravaged into crap zones. Hell, i don't think i like any of the 'revamped' areas more than i did the old versions... ugh.

Deleted
    I agree. The old Thousand Needles had a unique identity. Sadly, I didn't play Horde much before Cataclysm, and so I never really got to spend time there. Along with Azshara, Thousand Needles is one of the ones I crave to be able to explore again.

This is all scenery and atmosphere wise. The new quests are vastly superior, don't get me wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    Don't forget the aged gorilla sinew *shudder*
    Dropped on my second or third mob.

Deleted
    Don't like any levels that force me into the water. Just as I don't go swiming and rather fly than take the boat, even over such a short distance as Helsinki - Stockholm.

10+ Year Old Account
    I probably should go through the low level questing progression again for Orc/troll/Tauren. I can't even figure out how one starts the quests for thousand needles, so I imagine there is a phased quest chain or breadcrumb quest you have to complete prior to starting it. My hatred of the Barrens and the associated email scars is why I never did the revamped barrens quest line. Is there even anything to do in the actual thousand needles zone now, apart from the former shimmering flats with the barge, or is it just a canoe ride? I can't even remember how I accessed the canoe ride that one time.
    Last edited by thewallofsleep; 2016-05-28 at 02:22 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    i never quested through the old thousand needles.
    but i always walked through it when i went to tanaris, and i loved that small little journey.
    nowadays, i avoid any of south kalimdors questing zones because i dont like them.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    New Thousand Needles is one of my favourite post-Cata zones.

The old one was rubbish.

Deleted
    I didn't rate either version to be honest.

Makes me wonder why people want Vanilla so badly, a lot of the zones pre and post Cataclysm are so boring.