Poll: Has Blizzard focused too much on the quality of WoW?

Quantity vs. Quality

Blizzard is notoriously known for its high quality and polish: "Blizzard polish" and releasing "when it's ready". But there are diminishing returns to focusing on quality, and the tradeoff for higher quality is less quantity. Has Blizzard placed too much emphasis on quality over quantity of WoW as of late? That is not to say that the output of content as of late has been of high quality, just where the focus seems to be.

As much as we'd like to have the best quantity and best quality, inevitably there is a tradeoff. Do you think that Blizzard has swung the pendulum too far in the quality/polish direction?

Yes I do. But even though the quality is high you still get people absolutely flipping their shit over clipping issues and stuff that I don't even notice or care about so I sympathize with them :P

No they don't. If other companies can produce quantity and quality content then Blizzard can. No excuse whatsoever. So basically balance it while releasing content at a faster pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    No they don't. If other companies can produce quantity and quality content then Blizzard can. No excuse whatsoever. So basically balance it while releasing content at a faster pace.
    What are your examples of mmos that do this?
    You are everything, I never knew, I always wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by tclphz View Post
    What are your examples of mmos that do this?
    FF14. 3 month patches with either expanding upon the 8 player raid or the new 24 player raid, new dungeons, new glamours, odd numbered patches bring in new crafting gear or patterns (sometimes they hold off on it), even numbered new raid gear, new pvp every so often, each patch has a new set of beast tribe dailies and more. The odd numbered patches are the 24 man ones and the even ones are the 8 player ones. The dungeons added in question usually is one unique one related to the story sometimes and a hard mode variant of another that has a similar layout but different path and mobs/bosses. Oh and Guild Wars 2 gets quarterly updates and it's recent one has fixed some of the glaring issues with the early Heart of Thorns experience most players had issues with.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-05-28 at 02:24 AM.

One could argue that with Warlords of Dreanor we didn't have Quantity nor Quality. So I don't think the pendulum swang at all; It simply got stolen by some shady employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    One could argue that with Warlords of Dreanor we didn't have Quantity nor Quality. So I don't think the pendulum swang at all; It simply got stolen by some shady employer.
    Raids were quality imo. Ashran tried at least I guess. Zone design was pretty good as well each zone felt awesome to go into. I think with zone design Blizzard always get that right. Hell Cata and MoP had some of the best zones in game imho.

Raids were quality imo. Ashran tried at least I guess. Zone design was pretty good as well each zone felt awesome to go into. I think with zone design Blizzard always get that right. Hell Cata and MoP had some of the best zones in game imho.
    To be fair, the art department and raid designing team is (almost) always top notch; By far their strongest asset.

I was referring mostly overall as an expansion, especially when talking about content to keep the player base entertained.

10+ Year Old Account
    LMAO at the people who voted for less quality and more quantity, you would bitch that the content sucked if it wasn't quality.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

To be fair, the art department and raid designing team is (almost) always top notch; By far their strongest asset.

I was referring mostly overall as an expansion, especially when talking about content to keep the player base entertained.
    Yep. They should take a leaf out of FF14 and GW2's book's because the rate at which they deliver quality and quantity content with smaller teams is astounding. I just don't understand why Blizzard can't do it with a larger team.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    LMAO at the people who voted for less quality and more quantity, you would bitch that the content sucked if it wasn't quality.
    I voted equal.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-05-28 at 02:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep. They should take a leaf out of FF14 and GW2's book's because the rate at which they deliver quality and quantity content with smaller teams is astounding. I just don't understand why Blizzard can't do it with a larger team.

- - - Updated - - -

I voted equal.
    As did I, I figured it was the only answer that made sense, then I looked at the results and face palmed so hard I gave myself a headache.

- - - Updated - - -

The leveling and raids were quality.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Deleted
    Tough poll OP, I answered a little less quality more quantity. It was hard to answer because I always think the one thing that Blizz shines at is Quality. I think they could possibly get that quantity by not listening to the vocal whiners who think rehashed dungeons are a bad thing. The ZG/ZA dungeons added in WoD are a perfect example of this as everyone I know thinks they were great. Having a few new dungeons with a mid/high difficulty mid expansion could have helped WoD. Even if they were just redone versions of old dungeons. Perhaps we could have had a "Iron Felfire Ramparts" as a dungeon for WoD. Another one could have been "Hellfire Breach", Using the pathway from your Faction base in Tanaan to the gates of the raid as a dungeon setting.

The problem is Blizzard didn't focus on WoW at all. They moved 2 of their best devs: Metzen and Kaplan to Overwatch and probably some more good devs to other projects. There is no quantity and quality at all in WoW ever since patch 5.4 which was pretty much the last thing they have released somewhat decent minus 14 months of SoO killed the game together with WoD and Legion that will spread destruction to the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Metzen and Kaplan are not devs -_-

As for me, I do prefer them to keep quality high even if it means there is a long time between content releases. That said, there needs to be some sort of sanity here, new content such as raids should at worst come 9 months after previous drop. Optimal, IMO, is 4 to 6 months, depending on the size of the previous patch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Einsz View Post
    There is no quantity and quality at all in WoW ever since patch 5.4 which was pretty much the last thing they have released somewhat decent
    Absolute and total bullshit - WoD had a lot of amazing quality content, leveling experience was the best there ever was and all of the raids in WoD were great with BRF being one of the best raids ever, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post

Absolute and total bullshit - WoD had a lot of amazing quality content, leveling experience was the best there ever was and all of the raids in WoD were great with BRF being one of the best raids ever, IMO.
    I don't share the same opinion. Blizzard butchered all classes with WoD which made raiding completely boring. There was no indepth gameplay at all. Bosses completely lacked creativity and were pure aoefest bladestorm/chaos wave any add mechanic in 3sec or just use hunters to instant aimed shot any other kind of add within 2-3 gcds. Legion looks to be the same, classes are getting butchered even further and literally everything is 1 or 2button spam with ocassionally using anything else that is on long cooldown.

no option for more quality and more quantity?

7+ Year Old Account
    Longer-term testing and heftier raids, maybe?

Feels like Blizzard has accepted a feeling of low pressure on content speed, and satisfies itself with "Blizzard polish" ideals.
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

They should balance both much better.

WoD didn't have quantity, it was one of the smallest expansions in terms of variety and content. The content outside of raiding and the leveling experience wasn't particularly polished nor quality, either, so WoD doesn't really work as a baseline for this question.

Personally I think MoP had a good balance of quality and quantity. Four content patches, a few battle grounds, plenty of raids and lots of out-door content. While it obviously had its problems, and quality is largely subjective, WoD only had one real content patch, fewer raids, the launch max-level world content was widely seen to be very poor and for the time the expansion took there's not that much to show for it.

It's hard to even say Blizzard released WoD "when it was ready". Blood Elves didn't get their new high-rez models until a patch, and the reason the Flying patch took so long was because Blizzard didn't release Draenor in a state that would make flying work like players expected it to; they had to fill in gaps and flesh out areas we weren't meant to see. Not to the same degree as pre-TBC content, obviously, but they released WoD in a less polished state than most other expansions before it.

Deleted
    i ask myself the same, since i cant post pictures here until i spamed the forums

They need to just start over with a new engine because their quality is suffering along side their quantity.