Page 40 of 128 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Yeah, cinematic universes that deviate from the source material have no future.

Nevermind Marvel, GoT, LotR, Harry Potter, Nolan's Batman, Jurassic Park...
    No, I'm talking about including the movie-verse as part of an alternate reality within WoW's lore.

Context. Read the post I replying to.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    No, I'm talking about including the movie-verse as part of an alternate reality within WoW's lore.

Context.
    Which they haven't done, and they most likely won't do.

Why would they?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account

Why would they?
    As I said, look at the person I'm replying to.

Context. I'm replying to him.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    There is some solid CGI (for heroes only, but still).

Behind that there is seriously nothing solid. Everything is done, built, said, acted in a shoddy manner. And pokerfaces, everywhere.

Would you fight for the Azeroth you've seen? Would you die for it? For that "king"? I surely won't.
    Jumping from one thread to the other. Please carry on explaining here too how you watched a camrip and claim that it holds the same quality as the actuall movie screen.

trying to cram warcraft lore into a 3ish hour movie? Of course it wasn't going to be great
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    Second, US market is quite unimportant for any movie, 70% of all revenue comes from Asia and Europe. The movie will do well in those two continents. Looking at most Chinese movies they average around 280-300 million usd revenue, so if Warcraft is really selling that many tickets, they could pick up their entire budget just in China alone.

Generally the first movie of a new franchise is never going to be that amazing in sales (It's not like LOTR which had actual books predating the movie by nearly 5 decades, and were bestsellers), but it's important it makes people curious for the second, people will see it on their digital tvs, or even buy the bluray at some point, and if they are excited and want to see the second, then the first movie succeeded.

Also again it's projection, a majority of people don't even buy their tickets in advance, so it could turn out very differently.

Not to mention if Legendary doesn't wanna fund, I'm fairly sure Blizzard will and can fund Wacraft 2 themselves.
    - The other guy already addressed the Domestic Box Office thing, so yeah, just to stress what he said; the Domestic Box Office is extremely important to Hollywood. Even if a movie banks gloriously internationally, if it fails domestically, its future is nevertheless in serious jeopardy.
    - No idea where you heard that about revenue, especially considering China doesn't even cough up that much money in ticket sales revenue %. (IIRC US & International Markets cough up like 50%, whereas China does something like 25-30%)
    - What exactly makes you think Warcraft will do well specifically in Europe? China, sure, it's got great presales, but Europe?
    - Does Activision-Blizzard also have the funds & contracts necessary to distribute the thing by themselves internationally? There's a reason such high-profile high-budget releases are basically forced to go through Hollywood. Even the most high-profile Foreign Films never get anywhere near the awareness or Box Office income that Hollywood brings with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, cinematic universes that deviate from the source material have no future.

Nevermind Marvel, GoT, LotR, Harry Potter, Nolan's Batman, Jurassic Park...
    - Comic Books cannot be faithfully adapted, there's far too much source material to contend with. (Haven't I said this before to you? The avatar seems familiar......) Not to mention how Marvel doesn't even have control of the Mutantverse, Fantastic 4, etc. & only just recently got control of Spider-Man back. Yes, there are exceptions to this rule, but overall, it's generally impossible.
    - Game of Thrones was a very faithful adaptation in Seasons 1-4. Yes, it merged some minor characters together because time/budget constraints, but otherwise it was extremely loyal to the source material. Season 5 deviated considerably in certain storylines, & it got heavily criticized for it. Season 6 will likewise only age so well, exactly because of its major storyline deviations.
    - Lord of the Rings Theatrical was a semi-faithful adaptation, sure. On the other hand, Lord of the Rings Extended is an extremely faithful adaptation. Did some things get changed? Did Jackson take certain liberties with the source material at times? Yes, he did. Overall, is it a faithful adaptation however? Hell yes.
    - Harry Potter faithfully adapts the books in broad strokes. I think Azkaban deviates the most, save for Deathly Hallows Part 2. Order of the Phoenix, maybe? Though, Prince was a little vague IIRC, but overall it held true as well. 1 & 2 are extremely close to the books, 4 had no choice but to chop out major portions (time constraints, again), & 7 Part 1 is an excellent adaptation of the first..... 2/3rds of the novel, or so.
    - Batman - see above. Nolan did a decent adaptation of "Batman: Year One" with Batman Begins, but even that was basically the vaguest adaptation of any Batman storyline in Live-Action, ever. Dark Knight was completely original, & Dark Knight Rises borrowed a few elements from Knightfall. That's about it.
    - Have you actually looked into the Jurassic Park novel? The movie is actually rather faithful to the book. Obviously as usual some stuff got removed "because time constraints", but otherwise it's not like John Carter or something.

- - - Updated - - -

Why would they?
    Because, Metzen, & by extension, Blizzard, with their "Blizzard Knows Best" policy that's been trashing WoW for years?

They already had the arrogance to re-write the Orc Clans for Warlords of Draenor, you think they wouldn't have the balls to make this Lore?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    That's stupid because to be considered a retcon it has to actually affect the game's lore... which it doesn't because it is it's own thing...
    Yeah...... For now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SexyManipulator View Post
    What about we wait and see before jumping on unprincipled conclusions?
    Funny thing, I had people telling me the same thing back when I was saying BvS wouldn't clear $1 Billion, Apocalypse would do worse than Days of Future Past, etc....... So, yeah, what about if I stick to my predictions, & you stick to your delusions, how's that?
    Last edited by mmoc34c31092a9; 2016-05-28 at 01:17 PM.

The general consensus seems to be that fans of the video games will enjoy it, but people who aren't familiar with the franchise won't because they won't know what's going on. The comparison was made to the Marvel movie franchise, in which even non-comic fans could enjoy the films because they were grounded. I was hoping the filmmakers were smart enough not to make a 100 million dollar fan-service.

The bottom line is that Hollywood is running out of ideas. that is why you see movies like Ghostbusters, Another Star wars, etc etc
    when every book, comic books has been made into a movies, they will turn to games. because they don't have ideas. i haven't seen a movie in years but i might go watch warcraft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elian View Post
    i haven't seen a movie in years but i might go watch warcraft.
    then the movie studios win, because they realise they can capture the gaming market.
    Hi

The bottom line is that Hollywood is running out of ideas. that is why you see movies like Ghostbusters, Another Star wars, etc etc
    when every book, comic books has been made into a movies, they will turn to games. because they don't have ideas. i haven't seen a movie in years but i might go watch warcraft.
    As long as they are at least entertaining and well made...

I wouldn't mind a generation of videogame movies that are at least as good as Silent Hill and Warcraft. There are some great videogame universes with interesting characters and stories that could be adapted.

And then there's Tetris.

So I looked at the Variety article linked on the front page.

And I just realized.

Blizzard are very crafty. They probably had an idea of how it would review, but also how demographics would actually respond. I think the timing of the releases is very intentional. There is going to be a massive wave of word-of-mouth online / in social media that clashes with the review narrative. And a lot of that is going to come in at the very last second, between the China and US releases. Faster than reviews and projections will be able to take into account.

I don't think it's going to utterly smash / destroy projections but I think it will safely surpass them, and I think it's going to hold up pretty well in subsequent weeks (or, at least, not tank as much as people are fearing, not nearly - even with the releases it's surrounded by) ... I think domestic word of mouth will be pretty strong actually, and I guarantee there will be a sweet extended cut on dvd that fans and international audiences will eat up.

This will not be a struggle to break even, over time. I'm not sure how much money it makes, but it will make money and I think we will be getting our Frozen Throne movie.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Blizzard are very crafty.
    You mean Universal/Legendary? Because Blizzard doesn't call the shots.

Deleted
    So I looked at the Variety article linked on the front page.

And I just realized.

Blizzard are very crafty. They probably had an idea of how it would review, but also how demographics would actually respond. I think the timing of the releases is very intentional. There is going to be a massive wave of word-of-mouth online / in social media that clashes with the review narrative. And a lot of that is going to come in at the very last second, between the China and US releases. Faster than reviews and projections will be able to take into account.

I don't think it's going to utterly smash / destroy projections but I think it will safely surpass them, and I think it's going to hold up pretty well in subsequent weeks (or, at least, not tank as much as people are fearing, not nearly - even with the releases it's surrounded by) ... I think domestic word of mouth will be pretty strong actually, and I guarantee there will be a sweet extended cut on dvd that fans and international audiences will eat up.

This will not be a struggle to break even, over time. I'm not sure how much money it makes, but it will make money and I think we will be getting our Frozen Throne movie.
    Do you post on Sherdog, bro?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcotraz View Post
    Funny thing, I had people telling me the same thing back when I was saying BvS wouldn't clear $1 Billion, Apocalypse would do worse than Days of Future Past, etc....... So, yeah, what about if I stick to my predictions, & you stick to your delusions, how's that?
    Yes, your completely nonrandom/anecdotal and totally not made-up evidence has made me realise my mistake. :roll eyes:

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    You mean Universal/Legendary? Because Blizzard doesn't call the shots.
    As in Blizz knows their audience, and surely has had some input ? Blizz probably presented them with a mountain of data and told them what their projections were and how to best capitalize on their knowledge of their audience's tastes

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
    Do you post on Sherdog, bro?
    What gave me away - the matching custom avatars with the same username, and linking to the same Youtube channel ? lol
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Deleted
    Have not played wow for a little over a year but gonna go see it when its out here. Tbh Im kinda getting the feeling the critics are doing what they did with batman v superman which is kinda rip the film apart even tho while not perfect the film wasnt that bad.

Even if this movie sucks, it's worth my cost of admission if it only helps the chances of a potential Arthas movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think anybody expected the god father. In fact I'd be shocked if any significant part of the population thought it would be good. The better question is is it at least watchable? Like will I want to leave the theater because it's so bad?
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Deleted
    As in Blizz knows their audience, and surely has had some input ? Blizz probably presented them with a mountain of data and told them what their projections were and how to best capitalize on their knowledge of their audience's tastes

- - - Updated - - -

What gave me away - the matching custom avatars with the same username, and linking to the same Youtube channel ? lol
    You being such a major Warcraft fanboy, Blizzard drone...

lol jk

Hollywood isnt running out of ideas. That is totally False. The human mind is so imaginative. Look at all the advances we have had over the years. You want to know why Movies like Ghostbusters, and Starwars are getting made again?

Its called $$$. Hollywood would rather spend 100+million on a big blockbuster movie and make a billion worldwide. Than spend 15 or 20 million only to make 40 million world wide.

There is a growing trend in Franchises. You have things out there with built in fanbases from books to movies to video games. Look what happened with Harry Potter, The Avengers universe, Twillight, Hunger Games. These are all franchises. Hollywood wants to make money above anything else. So scripts get overlooked and thrown out all the time that prolly have great ideas. But those ideas are a risk. Marvel turned the Avengers Universe into a sure fire global money maker. And alot of hollywood studios want to do the same.

The ideas are still there but thats not what hollywood wants nor is it what the majority of moviegoers want. If people didnt want to see another starwars guess what it wouldnt have made 2 billion dollars.

Now im not saying that rebooting old franchises or remaking old movies or making movies based off exsisting IP is always a way to get a billion dollar movie. Because alot of these things people dont want to see. And guess what, when studios get flops like Fant4stic, The Huntsman. They are going to back off these known properties and start doing lesser know things again.

However. Things like Starwars arnt going to end because theres enough of a fanbase that your going to get those movies every year or so. If you dont like Starwars dont go see it.

Also "Hollywood" is comprised of a multitude of studios. If you dont think theres that much variety then your prolly close minded and only look at the blockbusters. There are plenty of indie films being made and alot of movies that are not worldwide or are limited releases before going digital or retail.

My suggestion is go to Rotten Tomatoes and look at all the releases and see what you like.