Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Jesus. You people still use chips? The only time I have to use the chip and enter a pin is when i want to take money out of the local ATM, or when I cross the border into the states and are forced to travel back in time 5 years beccause you people havent discovered Tap yet.

Seriously, get the hell out of the stone age with your goddamed magnetic swipe dinosaurs and get with the times. Tap is where it is at. Hell, give it 4 or 5 more years, and you wont even need cards, RF tap from your phone or smart watch will be the go-to method.
    Many people, including tourists, won't have smartphones, especially those that support NFC or some new tech, even apps; whereas everyone gets issued payment cards.

Also, NFC is by definition less secure and more accident prone than Chip-n-Pin, since you only need the device and a touch. This is the reason why NFC payments always have low limits.

Chip-n-pin has been and will be here to stay for a long time.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeJoe View Post
    Harder than just a magnetic stripe. Nothing is perfect. The flaws described in the last article has been patched - according to the article itself.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

I thought we'd moved on to contactless payments already?

Guess not.

I can't say I see the issue, but then again not living in the US (any longer, did about 10 years back though), so don't know how it's there. On the flipside I can't say I've noticed a significant benefit to them either but eh.

Edit: Oh yeah oops, security...duh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    (I dont mean potato chips.... or fries.... I know someone would post this)

Credit cards have those super annoying chips now. It takes longer for me to buy stuff, I now stand awkwardly waiting to put my card back into my wallet, and worse of all.... why the fuck can't I just swipe my damn card without something going wrong??? THE SWIPE IS STILL THERE!

Anyone else annoyed with this?
    Because your system is very unsecured?

Last year I stood behind someone at the grocery store who was writing a check....A CHECK, so cry me a river with your horror stories!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, only used it once and the only annoying part was that I kept trying to swipe my card.

The magnetic strip has fallen off my cards before it was time to get a new one (maybe some merchants were putting teeth in their machines o.O) and my area is known for scanners

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    No I like it. Doesn't take any longer for me at all, though I hear it's different in different parts of the country.

- - - Updated - - -

The fastest thing, though, is Apple Pay. I can finish a transaction in a quarter of the time, and it's even more secure.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    We've had these for years and it's no big deal. If 10 seconds more of your time is too much, you should consider using cash...

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    (I dont mean potato chips.... or fries.... I know someone would post this)

Credit cards have those super annoying chips now. It takes longer for me to buy stuff, I now stand awkwardly waiting to put my card back into my wallet, and worse of all.... why the fuck can't I just swipe my damn card without something going wrong??? THE SWIPE IS STILL THERE!

Anyone else annoyed with this?
    They are working on the software involved in reading them and the readers themselves. When everything is complete, it will be faster than swiping. As of now, it's not and it does slow things down by a few seconds.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    They are working on the software involved in reading them and the readers themselves. When everything is complete, it will be faster than swiping. As of now, it's not and it does slow things down by a few seconds.

But why are you ( read: your groceries and other markets) so late to that party ?

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    But why are you ( read: your groceries and other markets) so late to that party ?
    That's a question I don't know. Maybe a regulatory thing, maybe just resistance from stores to upgrade their hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Danuru View Post
    Lol, last I checked California is still in the US. But every time I used the chip reader, I had to put in my pin.
    "MAYBE you're not in the US? OR maybe it differs by region." In VA, you apparently don't have to. Having to put in a pin makes more sense.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    "MAYBE you're not in the US? OR maybe it differs by region." In VA, you apparently don't have to. Having to put in a pin makes more sense.
    Pin input is a must, else everybody and their grandma could use the card. reclamations inc. by the dozen !

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Furlong View Post
    I think it's an anti-cloning device.

Cloning the magnetic band is trivial. Chips can not be cloned.

Hopefully in the future we will all be paying with our phone, but we're not there, yet.
    If everywhere had apple pay, i'd be using it -everywhere-, but I never use it because I don't have the time to figure out who is and isn't accepting it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    I thought we'd moved on to contactless payments already?

Guess not.

Europe has, apparently chip and pin is the big new tech hitting the US :P

one day US will catch up with Europes superior debit card technology

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post

I'm still waiting for the day when currency is all in credits and they're spent simply by stating that you're spending them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    I'm still waiting for the day when currency is all in credits and they're spent simply by stating that you're spending them.
    In future, you won't have to say or do anything other than picking up your items.

In Japan, even tourists can just shop and pay with their fingerprints.

In other words, you will be the currency.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Curdi View Post
    I pretty much never leave the house
    That is pretty obvious.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I think my bank card had a chip like 20 years ago when I got my first. You start complaining now?
    Yeah, the strip hasn't been in use anymore since decades.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post

I wouldn't count on it. Retailers won't want to pay for the machine upgrades when they just got this new 20-year old technology.