Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Playing Solo and Helping your Team

I think that people will get used to the idea over time but overall I believe people get very frustrated with each other thinking that they are supporting the team the best. Ultimately it comes down to not always just picking your "Go to" hero and instead playing what your team needs to just get that extra push on an objective, or to prevent them from pushing you.

Overall I think the game is good, but until people begin to understand this it's hard to recommend this game to people who really don't have a couple friends to play with consistently.

Deleted
    Thats why this game will die. Game cant sustain it self becouse vast majority of players plays solo and even those what have teams play more solo then in team . 5 days what i play this game and i alredy want to quit it. It is so boringh. Being in lossing streaks becouse you are matched againts premade teams as solo player, no carry mechanics, players dont listen to anyting. Someone would say that after 5 minutes being stuck at same spot with payload people would swap hero and try something different but no tzhey jsut sit on their heroes from start of the game and do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndor View Post
    Thats why this game will die. Game cant sustain it self becouse vast majority of players plays solo and even those what have teams play more solo then in team . 5 days what i play this game and i alredy want to quit it. It is so boringh. Being in lossing streaks becouse you are matched againts premade teams as solo player, no carry mechanics, players dont listen to anyting. Someone would say that after 5 minutes being stuck at same spot with payload people would swap hero and try something different but no tzhey jsut sit on their heroes from start of the game and do nothing.
    I think saying the game will die is a bit premature. I think it will just become a back of the mind niche shooter until they make updates to the number of ways to play and heroes.

Overall the game is fun, but I think it's missing the sit and play for a long period style of play that exists in other shooters. Matches are too quick, heroes are dealing so much damage that everyone feels squishy, and the playmodes are just generic. I'd love to see a 12v12 mode that is a multi-point capture akin to that of the 3 or 5 point captures of TF2. Something that requires a bit of attack and a bit of defense.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it far more fun going solo, because you never know who you are going with. A passive guy, an aggressive girl. A prankster, an 'I give it all I got' and thereon. Of course, even I get saddened whenever someone is so focused into their hero (good or bad) that they don't want to swap/wants to take all the glory and just spew out "Ez" comments when we are winning/losing. I, for one, am having a thrill doing a few matches in a row, taking a few hours (or min. an hour) break until I let hell loose again with an angry monkey scientist.

But the main problem which I keep on witnessing, is the fact that close to zero chooses any tank or support (/healer) which is optimal for X map. In 9/10 cases, I am the one who have to continuously swap between supports, tanks and even swapping between tanking and supporting because, as stated, a good number of players like to go all solo. If people could just choose a tank + a defensive hero on defense maps, it makes it a ton easier for the rest to do their job by finding windows to attack, enemy team retaliation and thereon.

Personally, I love going solo. When everyone is silent in the chat (as none are actually using the voice chat as well), I find it encouraging whenever I go as Solider 76 or McCree (being the offensive hero; the rare moments) and actually getting a beam from a Mercy, or a Reinhardt protection my turret as Torbjörn. Obviously, I don't expect them to fully commit to me, as whenever I support or tank, I try to find the best formation to defend our fellows which is sometimes aiming for a POTG.

And as a last note, Hearthstone is going to die off before Overwatch. Mainly because of the irregularities in cards and the OTK combos, which isn't that easy to produce (unless full premade vs soloists) in OW.
    Last edited by Sesshomaru; 2016-05-28 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Nitpick editing over small errors. As usual.

I think the game is more enjoyable with friends. But I think eventually people will learn to play together

- - - Updated - - -

Just finished a game where we had 2 Hanzo 2 widows and all refused to change because they are practicing. We lost so fast

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chesder View Post
    I think the game is more enjoyable with friends. But I think eventually people will learn to play together

- - - Updated - - -

Just finished a game where we had 2 Hanzo 2 widows and all refused to change because they are practicing. We lost so fast
    Yeah, I find that I get stuck with a lot of flanker heroes and very few bruisers, but then all the flanker heroes want to hang out and try to take people head on. Luckily I don't really care if I lose since I'm usually having fun in the match anyway. I will say though when my friend and I run our double Junk Rat or Mercy/Roadhog combo it's awesome how much a little coordination can turn the tides of a fight.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

All hail the importance of scoping & 'one shots'.

It's perfectly fine 'maining' a hero, in moderation. If someone's good at Tracer and that person performs extraordinary, then be my guest and keep on playing her. But if the enemy team has a better Widowmaker, then for goodness' sake, swap into something more viable to their set up.

If people seriously want to train, then they should do the Hard AI version. There, you either have games where you struggle to win, or games you lose in under 2 minutes. And I blame the 0-vision Zenyatta Orb of Discord. I mean, every darn time I try the hard AI, I swear it always hit me every time I revive at spawn.

The bots there reacts MUCH faster to scoping and poking, by just showing a strain of hair as Widowmaker vs. those bots nets you an almost head shot and a guarantee hook. I still have nightmares about it.
    Last edited by Sesshomaru; 2016-05-28 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Me, not be.*

Yep I think the bots do fine for testing out a class enough so that in a real game you can attempt putting things into practice. It's just a bad excuse for poor play to say you're practicing in a real game and it's rude to the people you're with.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play solo. I'm a team player. I probably play Reinhardt more than anything else, lately; I'm going to sit myself in a choke point and make sure my shield's blocking fire. If Junkrat tries to arc bombs over my shield, I'll adjust to catch them in mid-air, even if they'd miss me. With Soldier 76, I've toggled allied healthbars on, so I can use my healing aura appropriately. Etc.

It's a team game. Solo queueing doesn't change that.

I think I've actually spent more time in AI games than in actual quickmatches, simply because I've made use of them to test heroes, explore maps, learn paths and mess with my mouse settings etc. I realised today my mouse DPI and ingame sensitivity was WAY too high for an FPS (I havent played anything but wow for years now) so I do a lot better now.

As for group play VS premade, I'm Aussie with an online friendbase that is entirely Canadian and US, so I can't play with them without withstanding 250ms and up. So, I solo queue 90% of the time. Personally, I haven't seen the issues other people do with the so called 'Chain Defeats'. It simply doesn't happen. If anything my solo queue WL ratio is actually positive. I've found that the simplicity of using keybinds to tell people your Ult is up, ask for heals, or remind people of the payload, is enough to trigger people's minds and remind them there's an objective involved. Once I do that once or twice I find most groups do quite well.

Most games I'm in, people switch heroes all the time. Maybe that's just the Oceanic community having a better grasp on the game's dynamic than NA servers, I really couldn't say.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmakk View Post
    I think I've actually spent more time in AI games than in actual quickmatches, simply because I've made use of them to test heroes, explore maps, learn paths and mess with my mouse settings etc. I realised today my mouse DPI and ingame sensitivity was WAY too high for an FPS (I havent played anything but wow for years now) so I do a lot better now.

As for group play VS premade, I'm Aussie with an online friendbase that is entirely Canadian and US, so I can't play with them without withstanding 250ms and up. So, I solo queue 90% of the time. Personally, I haven't seen the issues other people do with the so called 'Chain Defeats'. It simply doesn't happen. If anything my solo queue WL ratio is actually positive. I've found that the simplicity of using keybinds to tell people your Ult is up, ask for heals, or remind people of the payload, is enough to trigger people's minds and remind them there's an objective involved. Once I do that once or twice I find most groups do quite well.

Most games I'm in, people switch heroes all the time. Maybe that's just the Oceanic community having a better grasp on the game's dynamic than NA servers, I really couldn't say.
    It's possible it's an Americas thing. I've noticed in the past the people just not being very helpful towards each other was not as bad when playing on European or aussie servers

- - - Updated - - -

Overall if people want the public matchmaking to be better then it starts with eah individual taking ownership of their play and assisting one another

Deleted
    i only play solo, but do i what i can to help my team. i dont enjoy losing games, i like to win so i will take whats best for the team, even if it means i dont get to play the hero i want to play this game. i play lucio most games to make sure my team stays alive.

Yet MOBAs seem to be fine, where a bad comp is even worse, since you can't change at any point.

Yes, you're bound to run into people who refuse to change. But in that case, the match is over rather quick anyway, and you just move onto the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i only play solo, but do i what i can to help my team. i dont enjoy losing games, i like to win so i will take whats best for the team, even if it means i dont get to play the hero i want to play this game. i play lucio most games to make sure my team stays alive.
    This is totally fine. I think solo queuing happens a lot and I just wanted to express my feelings on how sometimes you do what you need to do just to help everyone.

I've made sure I learnt how to play at least 1 of each role so that I'm comfy taking the role that's needed. I notice a lot of the time people don't actually look at their comp very closely. Even if you ARE being good and filling a role, make sure you fill it with the right hero. If you're going to play a tank, but your team has no Lucio or Mercy, don't pick Reinhardt, take Roadhog. If you're team is full of flankers and high mobility heroes, don't use a Mercy, go Lucio. Basic stuff like this. It's not enough to "Fill the role". You need to actually fill it with some common sense involved.

I thought the game wasn't going to last long because so many people disliked the core swapping mechanic Blizz balanced the game around.

But it is troubling to see they haven't really captured that same magic you'd expect from a game people call TF3. The current setup is aimed more towards teamplay and switching if you want to actually win/have fun... which isn't going to end well for casual players in the randomness that is quick play pugs. A lot of players don't even find working together and switching to be enjoyable from the start. So my current predication unless Blizzard makes some changes, Overwatch won't be so long lasting with the average player outside of the competitive scene.

Nothing better than Bastions, Bjorn, Widowmakers and Hanzo defending our spawnpoint when we're on Attack.

Good times.

/s

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Nothing better than Bastions, Bjorn, Widowmakers and Hanzo defending our spawnpoint when we're on Attack.

Good times.

/s
    Why not 6 Mei? Foolproof

- - - Updated - - -

While we're at it. 6 junkrats vs 6 zaryas

Well if you're already bored and want to quit, than by all means. QUIT -- it doesn't matter what shooter you play, it will always be annoying when you join matches by yourself, because there's always the chance you run into clans and/or groups of friends while you're stuck with a bunch of morons. Same thing happens in all the popular shooters. That's a great reason to try and make friends in the matches that you actually have great teamwork with randoms or go join a big clan yourself. Most of them are "anyone can join" type clans anyways, so it ultimately just gives you a big list of people that you can play with.

It's always difficult to play games by yourself, especially when that game promotes teamwork. But that's nothing new, so I don't understand why people still complain about these things.

- - - Updated - - -

Why not 6 Mei? Foolproof

- - - Updated - - -

While we're at it. 6 junkrats vs 6 zaryas
    My friends and I just ran into 5 winstons + 1 lucio on that japanese map as we Defended......we all died quick, than went 6 Reapers and murdered them in seconds......after that, it became a regular match with a variety of heroes on both sides.....both teams laughed about it with each other

Deleted
    This is what I've been saying since beta. In this day and age when MP shooters scene is dominated by CoD and Battlefield where you can be a one man army, forced teamwork is not a way to go. One would thought that especially Blizzard would know that, considering that WoW can be played entirely solo these days.