General Cooking Recipes and dishes (Mega?) thread.

Hello there

After reading the topic about steak recipes I thought it was a great idea to share and bounce ideas off each other, so I ended up thinking why not open a huge thread about cooking recipes in general, pretty much any and all dishes we have in mind , a thread where people can come in and ask for advice about any dish they want and people who have the expertise with said dish would give their own tips and tricks etc.

As such I would like to ask the very first question regarding recipes.

I'm trying to make the right chicken alfredo ( white sauce pasta) and I cant seem to get the sauce right.

I've tried to melt butter and mix it with water / salt and spice, mix it up and heat it then added fresh cooking cream and mixed it in, added some more spices but I feel it tastes bland or too creamy and somewhat like its missing an ingredient that I can't quite tell, it's definitely not salt or pepper, maybe I'm missing some spice i should be mixing with it ?

Any tips would be welcome

Herring yum yum surprise:

2 x rectangular piece of crispbread.
    1 x Can of herring fillets.
    2 x sandwich pickle slices.

Place 1 sandwich pickle slice on each piece of crispbread. Evenly dish out the can of herring fillets on top of the pieces of crispbread.

Yum.

(but yeah, all jokes aside, a recipe thread would be nice. RE: "Google it", recipe sites are like buzz feed squared these days; i.e. completely fucking worthless)
    Last edited by Gheld; 2016-05-28 at 05:14 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post
    Hello there

After reading the topic about steak recipes I thought it was a great idea to share and bounce ideas off each other, so I ended up thinking why not open a huge thread about cooking recipes in general, pretty much any and all dishes we have in mind , a thread where people can come in and ask for advice about any dish they want and people who have the expertise with said dish would give their own tips and tricks etc.

I'm trying to make the right chicken alfredo ( white sauce pasta) and I cant seem to get the sauce right.

I've tried to melt butter and mix it with water / salt and spice, mix it up and heat it then added fresh cooking cream and mixed it in, added some more spices but I feel it tastes bland or too creamy and somewhat like its missing an ingredient that I can't quite tell, it's definitely not salt or pepper, maybe I'm missing some spice i should be mixing with it ?

Umm..maybe I'm not seeing it, but did you add cheese? And, why water?
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

You can buy all this stuff off Walmart dot com for real cheap. Buy their "Great Value" stuff.

Instant mash potatoes

Spam, but they call it "potted lunch meat".

frozen veges, well you can't buy them over the internet but you can get them at the grocery store for cheap

Cut up the spam in bite sized chunks, fry it on both sides

Make a cup of instant potatoes following the recipe, I buy powered milk and vegetable oil.

Mix half the spam with the cup of mashed potatoes, add a handful of veges. Stir it all up.

This is like $1.25 a meal.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

They have the pickled stuff here... I'm not sure how I feel about that though. I grew up on the canned stuff.

EDIT:

Spam, but they call it "potted lunch meat".
    Spam and potted lunch meat are two different things; refer to my SPAM thread. SPAM is a super proprietary product. There's no actual generic equivalent.

Salt, Pork shoulder, Ham, Potato starch, Sodium nitrite. That's it.

Whereas the cheap stuff often also use mechanically separated meat and wheat flour.

So they cook up completely differently and I find while in some situations (such as on a sandwich) the generic stuff actually tastes better, real SPAM reheats much better...and the generic stuff comes out the other end much less pleasantly :P
    Last edited by Gheld; 2016-05-28 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Spam and potted lunch meat are two different things; refer to my SPAM thread. SPAM is a super proprietary product. There's no actual generic equivalent.

Salt, Pork shoulder, Ham, Potato starch, Sodium nitrite. That's it.

Whereas the cheap stuff often also use mechanically separated meat and wheat flour.

So they cook up completely differently and I find while in some situations (such as on a sandwich) the generic stuff actually tastes better, real SPAM reheats much better...and the generic stuff comes out the other end much less pleasantly :P
    Taste is relative to the person but Walmart's spam brand holds up pretty well for me. They also sell the Hormel brand name variety for like 77 cents more.

You can also swap out the instant mashed potatoes with Walmart brand mac and cheese, I use a half box. Lots of calories though.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    400g of macaroni
    400g of ground beef
    1 litre of milk
    3-4 eggs
    1 onion
    seasoning
    cheese

Boil mac, sauté the onion and add the beef, season beef with basil and black pepper. Mix mac and beef in a deep oven tray. Mix eggs and milk in a separate bowl, pour on the beef/mac mixture so that the egg-milk mixture barely covers them. Grate cheese on top and bake for ~40mins in ~200c.

Costs like what 4-5 euros and feeds 3-4 adults easily. And it tastes fucking divine.
    Last edited by mmocaa8b08b6ba; 2016-05-28 at 06:04 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post

This on some rye bread... nomnomnom.
    Hyi saatana.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Hyi saatana.
    Yep, sinappi or go home.

Quote Originally Posted by wholol View Post

Try melted butter with parmesan and a bit of pasta water. Or a bechamel sauce with parmesan melted in.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Fucking plebeians. Get cultured ffs.
    Tomato + fish

What next, ice cream with your steak?

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Apparently there's a thing called a gin-tonic pie.. I am definitely going to make that soon.
    Has anyone ever had it?

Why the water?
    And what spices did you add?
    I know you should add some garlic and parsley, and do not forget the cheese (parmesan)!
    Well I wanted to create a base for the soup,should I just use cooking cream as base? would it be too creamy in this case?

10+ Year Old Account
    I can follow directions on packaged food. Occasionally I make a grilled cheese or some soup.

That is about the extent of my cooking knowledge. About the extent of the effort I am willing to put into cooking as well.