10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    I just realized something, when the Third War comes around in movie form, there will be this huge deus ex machina element called the resurrection of Medivh. They'll have to actually address in a proper way how he stayed alive (and have it be satisfactory), or completely remove him.
    Well considering that the Lord of the Rings managed to get away with it with Gandalf, I do not see how WarCraft could not do so as well.

Anyone else sitting in and listening to the newly released Soundtrack?

It's so GoT-esque that it's a little disappointing.. But on it's own, so far it's REALLY good! Medivh's track is glorious sounding.

Hopefully the other tracks pick up a bit, need a little more umph and less repetitive percussion.

Really looking forward to seeing the music in the scenes. Soundtracks make a movie for me, to be honest.

They also, apparently, use some sort of statistical data such as how much a movie is being mentioned on social media sites.
    The movie got very little media coverage beforehand in germany and is still #1 opening for this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurassic4LIFE View Post
    It's so GoT-esque
    I wonder why....
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    I wonder why....
    Your sarcasm is unnecessary. I know damn well why.

However, Ramin HAS done soundtracks that don't sound like they are actually just from a new episode of Game of Thrones.

So don't be such a rat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    Well considering that the Lord of the Rings managed to get away with it with Gandalf, I do not see how WarCraft could not do so as well.
    Gandalf isn't human, though. He's something close to a god in the LotR universe. Medivh is "just" a wizard. Even a Guardian shouldn't really be able to do magic like that, they're just really powerful mages.

Edit: Story-wise, you're right, fantasy people will accept all sort of things like that, such as eagles coming in at the last minute to save the day every god damn time. So it wouldn't be some sort of storytelling sin for Warcraft to do it. However, it would still be satisfying if there's a good explanation behind it.

Now, for us Warcraft fans, the explanation needs to actually be coherent with the Warcraft universe. Mages can't preserve their souls and resurrect themselves. There's only one type of wizard who can do that - warlocks. So it could be said Medivh did it before he died using a soulstone, but why Sargeras would do it for him - I don't know. Also, the canonical explanation of how he's alive for the Third War has something do with Aegwynn as far as I know it. So that's nothing that's got to do with warlock magic.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2016-05-28 at 09:39 PM.

Gandalf isn't human, though. He's something close to a god in the LotR universe. Medivh is "just" a wizard. Even a Guardian shouldn't really be able to do magic like that, they're just really powerful mages.
    A wizard possessed by a god..

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurassic4LIFE View Post
    However, Ramin HAS done soundtracks that don't sound like they are actually just from a new episode of Game of Thrones.
    Yeah, but we're talking of fantasy here. Not the same kind of fantasy but fantasy nonetheless and the composer is the same. Catching similarities is to be well expected.

I mean, we had people here saying that the Warcraft theme sounded the same as Pacific Rim's. Go figure.
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, i saw the movie and what i can say is that I had a really great time
    Cant wait for the sequel

Another thing(unrelated), a question for those who watched the movie: Are there any gnolls in it? It's the first creature you encounter in Warcraft III. Not that that has any significance upon this movie. I still wonder, though.
    Didnt see any

Deleted
    Ramin's score is... well i would say a disappointment but i wasn't expecting that much from him anyway.

I think it's funny that the biggest complaint people have about Warcraft movie is that there is not enough of it XD
    At least people didn't get bored.

Deleted
    A plus, the movie is doing extremely well in all the markets where it was already released. And the word of mouth is building good hype in the rest of Europe. So, as expected by several people on this thread, the word of mouth will decide the success of Warcraft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by donmater View Post
    Ramin's score is... well i would say a disappointment but i wasn't expecting that much from him anyway.

I think it's funny that the biggest complaint people have about Warcraft movie is that there is not enough of it XD
    At least people didn't get bored.
    Well, people is generally satisfied with his soundtrack. It may not be the most mind-blowing shit in the world but at least is not cumbersome, it doesn't try to walk over the movie but actually blends to it in a very convincing way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Well, people is generally satisfied with his soundtrack. It may not be the most mind-blowing shit in the world but at least is not cumbersome, it doesn't try to walk over the movie but actually blends to it in a very convincing way.
    True, a soundtrack that synchronizes well with the scene can end up having a better effect than something that is objectively more amazing but less fitting. And from what we've heard, the music fits really well in this movie, scene-to-scene.

10+ Year Old Account

Edit: Story-wise, you're right, fantasy people will accept all sort of things like that, such as eagles coming in at the last minute to save the day every god damn time. So it wouldn't be some sort of storytelling sin for Warcraft to do it. However, it would still be satisfying if there's a good explanation behind it.

Now, for us Warcraft fans, the explanation needs to actually be coherent with the Warcraft universe. Mages can't preserve their souls and resurrect themselves. There's only one type of wizard who can do that - warlocks. So it could be said Medivh did it before he died using a soulstone, but why Sargeras would do it for him - I don't know. Also, the canonical explanation of how he's alive for the Third War has something do with Aegwynn as far as I know it. So that's nothing that's got to do with warlock magic.
    In the lore, it was Aegwynn, Medivh's mother, who resurrected him because he was needed to tell the plans of the Legion since he was possessed by the big boss himself. As long as his resurrection is explained, which is not completely out of the question when you will have Death Knights and Necromancers who can do something similar, I think it will be fine.

Deleted
    It's OK. Bit generic, very average. I mostly like the Mak'gora-track and the main theme is nice. Needs more climax.

10+ Year Old Account
    The soundtrack never felt out of place in the movie and blended into the background as well as not being too distracting. It also had some good pieces that were memorable. I especially liked the main theme and Medivh's theme.

In this case, I think there's a point for higher expectations, and that's Blizzard's soundtracks, which are brilliant and memorable.

Obviously movie music isn't game music, the rythm and flow have to fit the scene and all. But is it too much to ask for a fitting soundtrack that's also as powerful as the ones this franchise usually has? I mean, Djawadi has made epic fantasy and cheesy rock, he should have been the perfect composer.

I don't know enough about how music is made to make a bold statement like "Russel Brower would have done a better job!", but there's something to his music that isn't there in this soundtrack. And it's a shame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by donmater View Post
    It's OK. Bit generic, very average. I mostly like the Mak'gora-track and the main theme is nice. Needs more climax.
    I felt Medivh's theme stood out as well. "Honor" was good, not spectacular but nice. And I always thought from the beginning the main theme was actually top-notch. I can't say everyone was of the same opinion some time ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    snip
    I understand the point you're trying to make but movie music and game music cannot be compared, at all. You have much more freedom when you compose mere background music to set a mood, compared to music that must actually fit with the pacing, the directing, the somewhat abrupt shift of scenes and mood. It's a completely different deal and requires a different set of experience.

With this I'm not saying someone else couldn't have done an hypothetically better job (I don't want to do that because as musician/composer myself, I tend to be rather respectful towards anyone working on the field) but if someone has to make comparisons these have to be made with other movies, possibily similar in theme, pacing and genre, not game music.

I understand the point you're trying to make but movie music and game music cannot be compared, at all. You have much more freedom when you compose mere background music to set a mood, compared to music that must actually fit with the pacing, the directing, the somewhat abrupt shift of scenes and mood. It's a completely different deal and requires a different set of experience.

With this I'm not saying someone else couldn't have done an hypothetically better job (I don't want to do that because as musician/composer myself, I tend to be rather respectful towards anyone working on the field) but if someone has to make comparisons these have to be made with other movies, possibily similar in theme, pacing and genre, not game music.
    My point is that, unlike the expectations that this movie had somehow to be as good as LotR in the same way LotR was good, which is preposterous, I believe it's not unreasonable that fans of the franchise expected a soundtrack as good* as Blizzard's. Not necessarily in the same way, with the same instruments and rythms, but equally memorable. And again, it's hard to talk about hypothetical music when I don't know anything about composing.

There are some amazing fantasy/epic movie soundtracks, like Pirates of the Caribbean (which was used in everything for a while) or, hell, Lord of the Rings. It is possible, it just doesn't happen often. Warcraft would have been the right kind of movie to have an outstanding soundtrack.

*Completely subjective concept.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    I don't know enough about how music is made to make a bold statement like "Russel Brower would have done a better job!", but there's something to his music that isn't there in this soundtrack. And it's a shame.
    The music of Warcraft III and more so WoW is absolutely mind-blowingly good. I have to admit, when I watch Warcraft, if I don't get something similarly good (I know I wont), I will be slightly disappointed. I know it's not a realistic thing to expect, but I associate awesome music with Warcraft and my mind will be wanting some of it when I'll be watching the movie.