Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    Annoying, no. What is annoying though is getting your card skimmed and having to spend hours on the phone with the bank getting fraudulent charges reversed and a new card issued, and going without a card for a week until it arrives. So yes the chip is a very good thing. They should have been implemented in the US 2+ years ago, but retailers pushed back and dragged their feet.
    It always bemuses me that such an advanced nation is so slow to adopt things the rest of the world takes as standard. It's almost as if the U.S. takes pride in doing things awkwardly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    Yes. I got a new bank card with a chip before it became more wide-spread to need where I live, and the damn thing doesn't work anymore. Most places I check out have to insert chip, swipe, insert chip, swipe, and so on until the swiper do-hickey allows me or the check-out person to just swipe the damn card.
    Your chip and pin cards still require swiping? That's stupid. The whole idea of chip and pin is you shouldn't need to do any swiping. These cards are extremely reliable in Europe. You put the card in the reader by pushing it in until it won't go any further. You get asked for your pin. You enter your pin. You press OK. You get told to remove your card. Done. Whole process takes 5-10 seconds. Trust Americans to take a technology nobody else in the world has a problem with and make it overly-complicated.

10+ Year Old Account
    About 90% of the purchases I've made in the past year have been done via tap. As in, I tap my card on the debit machine, and I'm done.

If I'm spending over $100, it's not an impulse buy, and I can't really get mad that I had to stand at a register for 12 seconds to buy my SSD, for example.

Use Tap or carry cash, I guess.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    No. It's easy, you put card in, you put in pin, you take card out. Why is this hard?

Also chip technology is like 15 years old, we've moved past that and are onto "touch" pads now.
    Haha, this is the US, where we don't even have pins with our chips, so if you steal the card you can still use it.

And we still have the card data on the mag stripe, so you can easily clone a card and use it at places like gas stations where they got a several year extension to the deadline for installing chip readers.

But in general a chip card is much more secure and better for you than the old style.

And yeah, Europe did all this YEARS ago. It's one area where the US is woefully behind.

Even after reading through this topic, I still have no idea what this chip is you people are talking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    I can't even begin to imagine the paper trail involved every time someone has to sign something. That combined with cheques/checks must make retail work so tedious ...
    No one takes cheques/checks anymore, because fuck that during close.
    [/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Your chip and pin cards still require swiping? That's stupid. The whole idea of chip and pin is you shouldn't need to do any swiping. These cards are extremely reliable in Europe. You put the card in the reader by pushing it in until it won't go any further. You get asked for your pin. You enter your pin. You press OK. You get told to remove your card. Done. Whole process takes 5-10 seconds. Trust Americans to take a technology nobody else in the world has a problem with and make it overly-complicated.
    No.

Insert chip, says invalid.
    Swipe, says need to insert chip.
    Swipe, says insert chip.
    Etc. until it FINALLY allows a swipe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    No.

Swipe, says need to insert chip.
    Swipe, says insert chip.
    Etc. until it FINALLY allows a swipe.
    I've been there dozens of times in the past with customers that have old/heavily used cards. And sometimes, new cards, too.

You should be able to go get a replacement without much trouble. My bank (TD here in Canadaland) had zero issue with giving me a new Visa-Debit when I cracked it in half. Same thing with credit cards, just takes a couple days instead of a visit to the branch.

Get a card with Tap and you'll live easier.
    [/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzek View Post
    Its funny, because I have chip cards now but a lot of places around here still make us swipe. I keep getting corrected by putting the card in the chip reader and they tell me "No, you have to swipe it."
    The whole rollout has been a pretty big clusterfuck. As a means of pushing adoption, the card providers declared that unless merchants switched to a chip reader, they would be liable for fraudulent transactions. Merchants have to get their hardware and their network setup certified in order to accept the chip. Whether it's because of poor planning, a rush at the last minute or, as a recent lawsuit suggests, the card providers taking their damn sweet time making the certifications in order to run up fees and make millions not paying off fraudulent charges in the meantime, there is a huge backlog to get certified.

Thus "no, you have to swipe it" even when the terminal clearly has a chip reader as well.

As far as the OP: No, it doesn't bother me at all.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

Quote Originally Posted by MonsieuRoberts View Post
    I've been there dozens of times in the past with customers that have old/heavily used cards. And sometimes, new cards, too.

You should be able to go get a replacement without much trouble. My bank (TD here in Canadaland) had zero issue with giving me a new Visa-Debit when I cracked it in half. Same thing with credit cards, just takes a couple days instead of a visit to the branch.

Get a card with Tap and you'll live easier.
    Sure, I know it can be replaced. I requested as much a few days ago.

It's currently a small incovenience that I was venting frustration over; an inconvenience not proven to be avoided by just ordering a new card.

I will admit, though, that the only reason I was prompted to get a replacement (currently non-working) card was because my card info had been stolen and some fraudulent charges had been made.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It is easy and not that much longer. What annoys me is not many of the stores around here support the chip technology. They need to get with the times!! They are more secure.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    We use tap/paywave for credit cards and mobile apps to pay with in Denmark now. It is very handy and quick for purchasing goods at the supermarket. We do not have to enter our pin code after tapping the card if the total amount is below 20 EUR. Nobody slides it anymore, you grandpa.
    Last edited by DJ117; 2016-05-29 at 01:49 AM.

Chip didn't stop someone from cloning my girlfriends credit card and using it to buy gas and Wendy's in Florida 3 weeks ago.

I was actually at a WalMart earlier, never had this issue with either bank cards or credit cards but I put in a chip credit card and it kept saying "Last Pin Try" on the terminal. First of all, why in the hell did it think (as in I'd assume there'd be some other error message if the terminal didn't understand the card or something) it was even a debit card to where a pin would work.

The worst part is, unless the high-school drop-out didn't know, she said they can't even manually swipe the cards selecting credit anymore on their side... I just ended up using another credit card, with the chip. ha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Guy4123 View Post
    Chip didn't stop someone from cloning my girlfriends credit card and using it to buy gas and Wendy's in Florida 3 weeks ago.
    Nor should it have, in it's current implementation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    It is easy and not that much longer. What annoys me is not many of the stores around here support the chip technology. They need to get with the times!! They are more secure.
    Plastic will not be secure until there is no more mag stripes on them and the numbers aren't on them as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DJ117 View Post
    We use tap/paywave for credit cards and mobile apps to pay with in Denmark now. It is very handy and quick for purchasing goods at the supermarket. We do not have to enter our pin code after tapping the card if the total amount is below 20 EUR. Nobody slides it anymore, you grandpa.
    Yea, the US (stores?) seem to be implementing that although the amount seems to vary wildly by store. Local convient it under $10, chain gas stations seem to be $20 and under and WalMart, I swear, is like $50 and under or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Yup.

And I also hate them thar new fangled horseless carriages.
    You kids, with your new things like Fire and The Wheel.

EDIT: also chips are the Mark of the Beast.
    Last edited by Poopymonster; 2016-05-29 at 02:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

The real problem with what I'm reading is how many people still input a pin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy4123 View Post
    Did said gas station and Wenchies have chip readers or just basic swipes?

If the merchant is dragging ass because "muh costz" and not using chip readers, a chip means dick all.

With the new rules, mentioned above, said gas place and Wenchies are liable for the money since they weren't up to speed.

Fun fact: 2 out of 3 of my chipped cards ask for my PIN for most purchases when it uses the chip reader instead of swiping. Target and my debit card. Third is my new CC with chip arriving soon(tm) to replace chipless CC, will see how that works.

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    With the new rules, mentioned above, said gas place and Wenchies are liable for the money since they weren't up to speed.
    Actually, for gas stations and ATMs the liability shift is 1st October 2017. So, its coming, and this among other reasons is why wide EMV rollout is guaranteed even in the US, but it is not there yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Actually, for gas stations and ATMs the liability shift is 1st October 2017. So, its coming, and this among other reasons is why wide EMV rollout is guaranteed even in the US, but it is not there yet.
    I stand correct about gas, but that lil red headed bitch is still on the hook for it!

How exactly does taking 2 seconds to press your card to the machine take longer than trying to find a pen and signing the reciept + waiting for the cashier to verify that it is the same as on the card?

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    It always bemuses me that such an advanced nation is so slow to adopt things the rest of the world takes as standard. It's almost as if the U.S. takes pride in doing things awkwardly.

- - - Updated - - -

Not just the swiping, we don't have chip and pin. We have chip and signature, which is just as worthless as old school swiping, just takes 15s more to finish a transaction.