Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

Super-rich Swiss village opts for $290k fine instead of accepting 10 refugees

Link: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7053826.html
    Link (DE): http://www.bayern-depesche.de/politi...fzunehmen.html

A Swiss village, one of the wealthiest in Europe, has refused to take in its government imposed quota of asylum seekers, voting to pay a fine of £200,000 instead.

The residents of Switzerland’s alpine resort Oberwil-Lieli, where there are 300 millionaires among a population of 2,200, voted “no” in a referendum over whether to accept just 10 refugees.

Swiss government proposals had outlined a quota across its 26 counties in order deliver on promise to take 50,000 asylum seekers across the country, but Oberwil-Lieli voted by 52 per cent to 48 to reject the refugees.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2016-05-29 at 02:21 AM.

Can't blame them. 290k is pocket change for them.

I like this village.
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD
    PROUD PROUD PROUD PROUD

Sooooooooo?

Who cares. Super-rich people generally don't like anyone new moving in, much less anyone, native or not, that is not their class. News-worthy in-fucking-deed.

Deleted
    Seems kinda absurd that they are forced to pay or put up with migrants. Kinda proves the whole refugee thing is a dirty business and someones getting rich off it.

Deleted
    How much would those refugees cost to house, feed, educate and get into the workforce?
    Last edited by mmoca51a6f9f4d; 2016-05-29 at 12:40 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like this town. I hope more Swiss towns will do the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    How much would those refugees cost to house, fee, educate and get into the workforce?
    Probably a lot more than 290k.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Deleted
    How much would those refugees cost to house, fee, educate and get into the workforce?
    Bingo! Someone's done the math.

I am not sure how Canton vs national politics works in Switzerland, but I am guessing if they had really wanted to force the issue nationally, there would have been some other option.

Perhaps this way they don't risk offending anyone powerful directly ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Swiss government proposals had outlined a quota across its 26 counties in order deliver on promise to take 50,000 asylum seekers across the country...
    I would have thought Switzerland would take more like 5,000, not 50,000.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Can't blame them. 290k is pocket change for them.
    And they're avoiding all those problems.

- - - Updated - - -

How much would those refugees cost to house, feed, educate and get into the workforce?
    My thoughts too.

Deleted
    Cheaper in money and lives this way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Well at least someone is standing against the refugees. It's ridiculous that these people got fined though.

Good for them, gotta keep the riff raff out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Sooooooooo?

Who cares. Super-rich people generally don't like anyone new moving in, much less anyone, native or not, that is not their class. News-worthy in-fucking-deed.
    I agree with you. But I think what's more to discuss is the fact that the townsfolk had a choice. Apparently every Swiss Canton has this voting rule of whether to accept new immigrants to the neighborhood and it's denizens vote based on background etc... Anyways, the discussions should be on how much more emphasize needs to be applied on what the people choose, rather than forcing these refugees on neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Well at least someone is standing against the refugees. It's ridiculous that these people got fined though.
    Well to be fair, they can more than afford it.

The residents of Switzerland’s alpine resort Oberwil-Lieli, where there are 300 millionaires among a population of 2,200, voted “no” in a referendum over whether to accept just 10 refugees.
    The fine is a small paltry amount in comparison to their wealth AND how much the refugees would cost in the long term.

But, now that their government knows this town would rather pay huge fines...I wonder if there is anything to keep them from trying to put refugees there like every week, just to collect massive fine amounts.

7+ Year Old Account
    I still can't get over governments forcing refugees on its people.

Saw a video not too long ago that I was reminded of when I read this:

Is it really considered evil/racist if you don't want or criticize immigrants?

Not going to hate on a Village for having standards. Entirely on their right to do so.

Can't blame them. Look at the areas the refugees end up. They turn to crap real fast and cause all kinds of trouble. I hope that others who want to can keep them out too.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?