Page 38 of 138 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    A bunch of people who have never played a video game in their life and a guy that things dragonball evolution is good aren't really the intended audience.
    Studios don't spend $100 million dollars (which doesn't include marketing) to make a movie just for video game nerds. "A bunch of people who have never played a video game in their life and a guy that thinks dragonball evolution is good" are, in fact, the intended audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Studios don't spend $100 million dollars (which doesn't include marketing) to make a movie just for video game nerds. "A bunch of people who have never played a video game in their life and a guy that thinks dragonball evolution is good" are, in fact, the intended audience.
    Ahh yeah the warcraft movie isn't for warcraft fans, that's a solid argument.

PS - it's in like 9 "smaller" markets and it's already made 1/6th of it's budget back.

It made 9.3 million on the launch day in the first 11 countries. The projection for this weekend was 20 million - but on current estimates will be closer to 30 million (it's now open in over 20 countries).

Ahh yeah the warcraft movie isn't for warcraft fans, that's a solid argument.

PS - it's in like 9 "smaller" markets and it's already made 1/6th of it's budget back.
    It's a better argument than "A professional movie studio spent a fortune on this summer tentpole film only hoping it would appeal to a niche audience."

It's a better argument than "A professional movie studio spent a fortune on this summer tentpole film only hoping it would appeal to a niche audience."
    No it isn't, I cannot take the "warcraft movie isn't for warcraft fans" argument seriously. Also you're ignoring the fact that it's filled with blockbuster/popcorn fluff to bring in that audience so it will make money.

but don't pretend for a second that a warcraft film wasn't intended for warcraft fans, that's flimsy at best.

No it isn't, I cannot take the "warcraft movie isn't for warcraft fans" argument seriously. Also you're ignoring the fact that it's filled with blockbuster/popcorn fluff to bring in that audience so it will make money.

but don't pretend for a second that a warcraft film wasn't intended for warcraft fans, that's flimsy at best.
    There is something to be said about having precaution over the movie's success so far abroad. It's doing better than expected, yes, but there's no guarantee that success will translate well domestically.

Summer tentpole films are, almost by definition, intended for a general, mass audience. They are made to appeal to as many people as possible in order to make as much money as possible. That includes "people who have never played a video game before." Get over yourself and stop making shit up just because you want to believe it.

Summer tentpole films are, almost by definition, intended for a general, mass audience. They are made to appeal to as many people as possible in order to make as much money as possible. That includes "people who have never played a video game before." Get over yourself and stop making shit up just because you want to believe it.
    The movie wasn't even intended to come out in the summer, that was a choice by legendary pictures AFTER THE FACT, it was a winter film. Talk about being dishonest and then calling this a "summer tentpole film" that's laughable.

Stop using logical fallacies and lying about stuff. I'm not making anything up, I stated factual numbers and said that "a film about warcraft is meant for warcraft fans" If you can prove the quote wrong I'll buy you a ticket to see the warcraft film.

See how aggressive and petty you get when someone disagrees with you. welcome to my blocklist. You're shameless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    There is something to be said about having precaution over the movie's success so far abroad. It's doing better than expected, yes, but there's no guarantee that success will translate well domestically.
    That's fair, but the Warcraft fanbase seems to like the film and it's doing pretty well right now.

The reviews on RT are ridiculous, they are comparing it to things that it isn't meant to be like, half of them are downright insulting blizzard and duncan jones. Some aren't even veiled insults.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    I believe the new Alice in Wonderland movie and X-Men are opening in the same markets (curiously both have been slammed by critics as well), though again far fewer people in the countries go see movies so it's a bit of a skewed sample size.
    Do you honestly think us Europeans live in a 3rd world country or why the fuck are you spewing that nonsense? In what fuckin world do you live in? Warcraft premiered in France and Germany that together have over 130 million people (roughly a third of the US) and are under the top industrial nations in the world. Not even counting in other rich but smaller countries like the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden or Norway. Also don't forget whole Eastern Europe + Russia. Europe as a whole is a far bigger market than the US. Get some education, bro.
    Last edited by chooi; 2016-05-29 at 03:38 AM.
    #MakeBlizzardGreatAgain

Quote Originally Posted by chooi View Post
    Do you honestly think us Europeans live in a 3rd world country or why the fuck are you spewing that nonsense? In what fuckin world do you live in? Warcraft premiered in France and Germany that together have over 130 million people (roughly a third of the US) and are under the top industrial nations in the world. Not even counting in other rich but smaller countries like the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden or Norway. Also don't forget whole Eastern Europe + Russia. Europe as a whole is a far bigger market than the US. Get some education, bro.
    You know that US and Canada make up 28-33% of all box office sales ... and the REST OF THE PLANET, make up the other 3/5ths-2/3rds right?

http://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploa...stics-2014.pdf

Or here where you see that France and Germany despite having 1/3 of the population of the USA only generate 1/4 of the revenue that the US does, meaning that less people DO in fact see films in those countries.

Speaking of spewing nonsense.
    Last edited by deadman1; 2016-05-29 at 04:54 AM.

The implication wasn't that Europe is a third world country (what the fuck, really?), just that the markets which the movie opened tend to have fewer moviegoers than their North American counterpart. Jesus dude.

The movie wasn't even intended to come out in the summer, that was a choice by legendary pictures AFTER THE FACT, it was a winter film. Talk about being dishonest and then calling this a "summer tentpole film" that's laughable.

Stop using logical fallacies and lying about stuff. I'm not making anything up, I stated factual numbers and said that "a film about warcraft is meant for warcraft fans" If you can prove the quote wrong I'll buy you a ticket to see the warcraft film.

See how aggressive and petty you get when someone disagrees with you. welcome to my blocklist. You're shameless.
    No, what's shameless is spouting off without having a clue how the business works, based entirely on being a fanboy. $100 million (or even $160 million, going by Wikipedia) movies don't get made - and they don't get released during the summer - to appeal to niche audiences. $100 million movies get made (and released during the summer!) to make as much money as possible by getting as many people as possible to see it, not just people who play video games. Legendary bankrolled "WarCraft" anticipating it would be a blockbuster and make a huge profit, not to make Blizzard fanboys feel good about themselves.

And by the way, tentpole blockbusters can come out during the winter as well. Unless you think Disney decided to release "Star Wars" in December by throwing darts at a dartboard? These release dates were chosen to maximize box office earnings. Legendary even moved "WarCraft's" release date so as to not compete with "Star Wars" because they want to make as much money as possible.

@OP, who gives a crap what other people think on RT about a fan movie? Are you just a mindless parrot repeating what others are saying or are you going to actually give the movie a fair shot?

At the end of the day, was the movie entertaining to *YOU*? That is what determines if it is a success or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    so warcraft fans are going to be the next BvS and x-men apocalypse fans denying the critical consensus vehemently if it comes to that?

You know that US and Canada make up 28-33% of all box office sales ... and the REST OF THE PLANET, make up the other 3/5ths-2/3rds right?

http://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploa...stics-2014.pdf

Speaking of spewing nonsense.

Yeah, thanks for proving my point with that data:

Europe > USA
    Europe <= USA + CAN (both around 10.5 billion in 2014, impact of Middle East & Africa is negligible)

Education, bro, education.
    #MakeBlizzardGreatAgain

No, what's shameless is spouting off without having a clue how the business works, based entirely on being a fanboy.
    Not a fanboy, I haven't defended the quality of the movie once, all I've said is that it's intended for warcraft fans. Go ahead link where I said the film is good or bad, you literally can't because I haven't stated it.

$100 million (or even $160 million, going by Wikipedia) movies don't get made - and they don't get released during the summer - to appeal to niche audiences. $100 million movies get made (and released during the summer!) to make as much money as possible by getting as many people as possible to see it, not just people who play video games. Legendary bankrolled "WarCraft" anticipating it would be a blockbuster and make a huge profit, not to make Blizzard fanboys feel good about themselves.
    I have evidence that they do, the warcraft film. You are simply conflating primary/intended audience with ONLY audience, I never said it was the only audience. Also to put this into perspective the WoW playerbase at the start of WoD could have funded that film alone in one month of sub fees.
    And by the way, tentpole blockbusters can come out during the winter as well. Unless you think Disney decided to release "Star Wars" in December by throwing darts at a dartboard?
    Yeah because star wars is a first time film franchise that a lot of people don't know anything about ... lol

These release dates were chosen to maximize box office earnings. Legendary even moved "WarCraft's" release date so as to not compete with "Star Wars" because they want to make as much money as possible.
    Ok of course they want to make money, but that doesn't mean the primary audience isn't warcraft fans.

Again since you cannot finish a sentence without A lie, a logical fallacy or an insult, this will be the last time I will be responding to your dishonest drivel.
    Last edited by deadman1; 2016-05-29 at 04:20 AM.

What a sad life one must live to champion a MOVIE to fail.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, thanks for proving my point with that data:

Europe > USA
    Europe <= USA + CAN (both around 10.5 billion in 2014, impact of Middle East & Africa is negligible)

Education, bro, education.
    The WHOLE PLANET COMBINED is only 33% higher than 2 countries (USA and canada) in box office sales. Where as it's OBJECTIVE fact that per capita movie viewings are less than the USA and Canada which I proved here.

Or here where you see that France and Germany despite having 1/3 of the population of the USA only generate 1/4 of the revenue that the US does, meaning that less people DO in fact see films in those countries.
    You failing to read actual sources isn't my fault, don't insult me when the only thing you are using to back up your claims is your misguided opinion.

You simply didn't read what I posted and used confirmation bias to confirm your existing thoughts.

All you are saying is 842 million>320 million (population of europe/russia and the usa) which is useless stats when we are talking about percentage of movie goers.

Reading comprehension bro, reading comprehension.

- - - Updated - - -
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    What a sad life one must live to champion a MOVIE to fail.
    Also this, I don't understand why a fan of blizzard or even someone who used to be a fan of blizzard would have the energy to wish ill will on them.
    Last edited by deadman1; 2016-05-29 at 04:53 AM.

Reading comprehension bro, reading comprehension.
    http://imgur.com/muVfmcC

Your numbers prove you wrong.

(and just in case: ME & Africa are practically non-existent for the charts.)
    #MakeBlizzardGreatAgain

http://imgur.com/muVfmcC

Your numbers prove you wrong.

(and just in case: ME & Africa are practically non-existent for the charts.)
    If you argument was that Europe has a higher population than the USA, then yes, my numbers did prove me wrong, but if your argument was the following statement, (which it was since this is a direct quote from YOU)

Warcraft premiered in France and Germany that together have over 130 million people (roughly a third of the US) and are under the top industrial nations in the world. .
    Then my numbers do in fact back me up.

Please use context to the conversation if you are going to take part in it. The part of your quote about you saying that the Euro market is larger is irrelevant because the person you responded to wasn't talking about the whole European market, they were only talking about the markets that Alice in Wonderland, Xmen and Warcraft were out at the same time.
    Last edited by deadman1; 2016-05-29 at 04:53 AM.