Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xar226 View Post
    The whole rollout has been a pretty big clusterfuck. As a means of pushing adoption, the card providers declared that unless merchants switched to a chip reader, they would be liable for fraudulent transactions. Merchants have to get their hardware and their network setup certified in order to accept the chip. Whether it's because of poor planning, a rush at the last minute or, as a recent lawsuit suggests, the card providers taking their damn sweet time making the certifications in order to run up fees and make millions not paying off fraudulent charges in the meantime, there is a huge backlog to get certified.

Thus "no, you have to swipe it" even when the terminal clearly has a chip reader as well.

As far as the OP: No, it doesn't bother me at all.
    To be fair, the MAJORITY of fraudulent debt being charged off by banks prior to the liability shift was as a result of negligence or human error at the retail location. Yes, this means that the banks were eating massive chargeoffs that were no fault of their own, nor avoidable by any reasonable means by the bank.

Furthermore, most retailers and retail finance institutions have a profit sharing agreement so if fraudulent charges are being written off, it's going to impact the gain share on the back end for the retailer. The retailer is losing the money regardless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zergin8r View Post
    How exactly does taking 2 seconds to press your card to the machine take longer than trying to find a pen and signing the reciept + waiting for the cashier to verify that it is the same as on the card?
    Because in the united state of insanity, you have to do both ("Chip & signature").

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vynestra View Post
    If everywhere had apple pay, i'd be using it -everywhere-, but I never use it because I don't have the time to figure out who is and isn't accepting it.
    Yeah exactly. It's incredibly convenient where it's actually accepted. So the few places I know take it, I always use it.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zergin8r View Post
    How exactly does taking 2 seconds to press your card to the machine take longer than trying to find a pen and signing the reciept + waiting for the cashier to verify that it is the same as on the card?
    Merchants don't hand you a pen?

They actually check the sig?

I've had about 6-7 ATM cards, only ever signed one. My first one.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Not just the swiping, we don't have chip and pin. We have chip and signature, which is just as worthless as old school swiping, just takes 15s more to finish a transaction.
    I usually sign with a smiley face. The signature is literally irrelevant.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    (I dont mean potato chips.... or fries.... I know someone would post this)

Credit cards have those super annoying chips now. It takes longer for me to buy stuff, I now stand awkwardly waiting to put my card back into my wallet, and worse of all.... why the fuck can't I just swipe my damn card without something going wrong??? THE SWIPE IS STILL THERE!

Anyone else annoyed with this?
    The rest of the world (or specifically Australia and NZ) have had these for like 5 years now. USA is just behind in Credit Card security.
    You guys need to get paypass - it's kickass.

Or use Apple pay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I usually sign with a smiley face. The signature is literally irrelevant.
    You can challenge transactions where they accept your signature without checking it is close to the signature on the back of your card.
    All you would have to do is report it stolen a couple hours later and, provided the store lacks an ability to confirm it was actually you (i.e Cameras) you can likely get the amount refunded.

This is fraud, and illegal btw. But so is downloading movies.
    Use once.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Jesus. You people still use chips? The only time I have to use the chip and enter a pin is when i want to take money out of the local ATM, or when I cross the border into the states and are forced to travel back in time 5 years beccause you people havent discovered Tap yet.

Seriously, get the hell out of the stone age with your goddamed magnetic swipe dinosaurs and get with the times. Tap is where it is at. Hell, give it 4 or 5 more years, and you wont even need cards, RF tap from your phone or smart watch will be the go-to method.

It varies by store. Plenty will accept touch/tap, but there are some stores that are compelled by law to use certain payment methods.

The law rarely keeps up well with technology.

The chip is only disorienting because you have a damn device in your store where the swipe slit lights up and you swear you gotta swipe, and instead it wants the chip.

You then put in your chip, and when the transaction goes through it makes this misleading buzz sound that's usually associated with errors and not something positive.

It's disorienting.
    Last edited by Lucrece; 2016-05-29 at 04:06 AM.

Credit cards have those super annoying chips now. It takes longer for me to buy stuff, I now stand awkwardly waiting to put my card back into my wallet, and worse of all.... why the fuck can't I just swipe my damn card without something going wrong??? THE SWIPE IS STILL THERE!

First World Problems.
    [color=blue]This thread has lived beyond its life expectancy. ... It's also met the forum quota for posters insulting the intelligence of their peers to grasp the age-old upper hand in argumentation, I believe officially coined by Plato: "Ur, like, dumb and that's why I'm right." Zarhym

I just pay in cash.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Merchants don't hand you a pen?

They actually check the sig?

I've had about 6-7 ATM cards, only ever signed one. My first one.
    Yeah around here, they used to not even accept a card if there was no signature on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adp View Post
    The real problem with what I'm reading is how many people still input a pin.
    Inputting PIN is not there for technological reasons only, it's a legal confirmation as well. PINs are fine, signatures (in US, signature can be used in place of PIN) are not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...r-SECONDS.html

I don't care about it taking a few extra seconds to verify the card, I do care that they made it that much easier to rip peoples CC numbers without ever coming into contact with the physical card.
    That's not the same as standard chip and pin or chip and signature. Those are contactless cards (PayPass, Paywave or ExpressPay), using NFC or RFID remote technologies.

Not many people know that contactless cards are also trivial to permanently disable if you wish, to prevent accidental touches or malicious use. You just shine any bright lamp behind and through the card, and cut a very clear wire always around the outside edge, which also functions as an antenna, required to complete a circuit to the contactless chip.

Cutting that wire with any sharp blade does not interfere with the normal PIN chip or any other use, e.g. sliding it into an ATM, because the cut can be tiny and the chips are always independent.

Once you've done it once, you can do it in less than 5 seconds on any other card.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2016-05-29 at 04:54 PM.

my card has had a chip for a while but never used it until recently. the few places i go regularly now require you put the card in to read the chip, wait til it does its thing which is usually about 5-10 seconds longer than swiping. i dont really care about it though.
    Intel i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz | Asetek 550LC 120MM Watercooler | MSI Z97 PC MATE | XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB | ADATA 16GB DDR3-2133MHz XPG V3 |
    1TB WD Caviar Blue | 128GB Sandisk Z400S SSD | NZXT Phantom 410 | EVGA 750W SuperNova G1 80+ GOLD | External 2TB WD Elements

Quote Originally Posted by Adp View Post
    The real problem with what I'm reading is how many people still input a pin.
    Do you live in America?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I was talking about all the NFC things they're putting in people's phones and the like.
    You are right to be concerned to a point, but NFC can be done securely.

Apple is almost certainly by far the most secure, widespread NFC implementation since,

1. their latest phones (iPhone 5s and later) are strong encrypted from the very hardware and up
    2. their software security for cryptographic operations is independent from their app operating system and software. Even if your apps were somehow hacked, it would have zero impact on your financial transactions through NFC
    3. their software was designed from scratch to operate specifically with the secure Apple hardware (it is not a generic platform like Android)
    4. unlike other smartphone providers, Apple refuses to allow developers to use NFC. It is dedicated to the Apple Pay system and it acts passively like a dumb contactless card
    5. it cannot even be used by accident since it requires phone verification using secure biometrics. This is a huge win over contactless cards and many other implementations.
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2016-05-29 at 06:43 PM.

Deleted

I pity you if that's the kind of problem you consider worth of making a thread for.

Dude, the chip is an upgrade to the magnetic strip.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

Deleted
    I was shocked to discover people in the USA still use paper cheques, I have not seen one of those in maybe 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by taliey View Post
    Dude, the chip is an upgrade to the magnetic strip.
    Still easily hacked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been using chip for as long as I can remember. We're in the transition between tap and chip at the moment. Tap works about half the time, and when it doesn't I just pop my card in.