Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dr2022 View Post
    there is a reason you don't leave four-year-olds by themselves. Ask yourself, wouldn't a four-year-old get close to something they see for the first time and explore it?
    So the child was by itself now?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    It is normal behavior for a 4 year old to be overly curious and explore things. Children that age don't really understand just how dangerous things can be. It's why we see young children running out into the middle of street with no regards to traffic. They just don't have the thought process or realization to danger that older kids and adult have.
    Again, if that were 100% the rule... this sort of thing would be happening much more often than it does.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hydrium View Post
    You beliefs are irrelevant to the matter. In no situation would any rational person let a human die to save an animal if they had the option to only save one. Which is exactly what happened.
    I don't think YOU are being rational.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I don't agree. You can't say that he's acting like a four year old, when that isn't a usual four year old behavior.
    You've never spent any time around a 4 year old have you? They'll literally do anything to get what they want as they have no concept of self-preservation. I think you'd be surprised at how many times small children get themselves into really bad situations due to their inability to recognize potential danger and the consequences of entering that danger.

I would never, ever agree to this. What makes this true?
    What about it isn't true? Unless you're talking about the lowest level of scumbag that are animal abusers, every Human life is more important than every Animal life (Barring personal connections, anyway.. I'd kill a million people if I had to choose between them and my pup) especially talking wild animals (Yes this Gorilla is a wild animal. It's held captive sure but it's still a wild animal and will act like one.)

Either way, this situation was dealt with the best way it could have been. To argue otherwise is ridiculous honestly and anyone who thinks shooting a 400 pound Gorilla with a dart when it's holding a small child is a good idea should just stop talking.

Quote Originally Posted by volkanik View Post
    Sounds like the gorilla would make a better parent then his actual parent(s) whom let him wonder into the exhibit. At least the gorilla would have parental instincts.
    Hahahah so true.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hydrium View Post
    You can always tell who the non-parents are.

Bad shit happens, kids slip out of their parents hold and run off, one glance to the side is all it takes.

Now there are absolutely inattentive parents who just let their kids do whatever, but even the greatest of all parents never watch their kid 100% of the time. It's easy as hell to throw stones when you've never done it before yourself.
    Hahah we get it mate, you're a parent or something, so you know better than the rest of us.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HavelTheRock View Post
    You've never spent any time around a 4 year old have you?
    Yes, I have. And guess what? I've taken them to the zoo as well. And guess how many of them climbed in any exhibits?

- - - Updated - - -

Again, if that were 100% the rule... this sort of thing would be happening much more often than it does.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, your belief is irrelevant as it holds absolutely no power outside of your own narrow purview.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    people decide to enter their enclosures?
    IF that's what happened here, then I'd probably have more of an opninion favoring the gorilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

So you agree?
    year olds are stupid and will die if you don't keep an eye on them. Doesn't mean we should let them die when it happens.

Hahahah so true.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I have. And guess what? I've taken them to the zoo as well. And guess how many of them climbed in any exhibits?
    Would you like me to point out how many logical fallacies you've just committed and how many statistical errors there are in your argument?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

First, you are misconstruing what he is saying. He is saying that kids tend to do dumb shit. Not that kids ALWAYS WILL do dumb shit. Also this wouldn't have happened if the kid's parents were watching him closely, which is what people have been arguing this whole time.

So you just have no empathy whatsoever? Imagine if one of your children did manage (somehow) to climb into an enclosure.. Would you tell the Zookeepers "ah well, he obviously doesn't matter as much as the Gorilla just let him die"? Or would you tell them to shoot the huge animal that has claimed your child as its own? I have a sneaking suspicion that you'd tell them to get your child to safety whatever they have to do. Which is exactly what they did. But please, tell me that you would sacrifice your child's life to punish your own negligence.. Prove once and for all that you're a psychopath.

Endangered Animal>1 million humans.

Should've tranq it.

10+ Year Old Account
    How the fuck did he get into the god damn enclosure? Where the fuck was the parents? Bad enough that they ain't in their natural habitat but now that gorilla gotta die because someone wasn't paying attention they kid.....

Quote Originally Posted by HavelTheRock View Post
    So you just have no empathy whatsoever? Imagine if one of your children did manage (somehow) to climb into an enclosure.. Would you tell the Zookeepers "ah well, he obviously doesn't matter as much as the Gorilla just let him die"? Or would you tell them to shoot the huge animal that has claimed your child as its own? I have a sneaking suspicion that you'd tell them to get your child to safety whatever they have to do. Which is exactly what they did. But please, tell me that you would sacrifice your child's life to punish your own negligence.. Prove once and for all that you're a psychopath.
    I would never put myself in that situation. If his feet were touching the ground he would be holding my hand.
    "I have friends, many friends. I have friends in China, India, Russia." "I will make deals, lots of deals. I'm good at making deals. Deals, deals, deals."

Deleted
    There's no point discussing what should have been done. In 10/10 cases this is what will happen if you jump into the enclosure. Because animal life doesn't matter to humans and it never will. A single human life has much more potential than any other species. This is both true and false. Our potential is almost limitless but then again, not even a fraction of our population takes advantage of that potential. But the potential for potential makes human life far more valuable than any other species of animal. And that's why animals will always be killed in favor of humans no matter how endangered or critical to their environment they are. So there's really only one way this can go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shitty fucking parents with a shitty fucking kid. Should have let Darwinism take its course; we have plenty of people who don't hop into fenced off enclosures even though they're told not to.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    Shitty fucking parents with a shitty fucking kid. Should have let Darwinism take its course; we have plenty of people who don't hop into fenced off enclosures even though they're told not to.
    It was a four year old. Do you have kids? Four year olds aren't very good at doing exactly what they're told 100% of the time.

Yeah, the parents are shitty. They should have had better control of their children, but it's not the kid's fault. He was being a kid. He's four, for fuck's sake.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Statistically speaking, we're far from endangered, but I can't blame someone for prioritizing their own species.

Do things really ever recover from that "critically endangered" point? It's not going well for the pandas, I think they get sick of all the incest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Statistically speaking, we're far from endangered, but I can't blame someone for prioritizing their own species.

Do things really ever recover from that "critically endangered" point? It's not going well for the pandas, I think they get sick of all the incest.
    Rarely, and it takes many many years of controlled breeding and protection but I'm sure there are a few species that have come back from the brink of extinction.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did the gorilla really need to be shot, surely there could be have been another way? I feel more sorry for the Gorilla than the stupid human...
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post

Animals have recovered from it before. With western lowland gorillas most groups only have one male with multiple females. So if there are enough females, they have a shot. Unlike pandas who just refuse to fuck to save their species
    Last edited by Chumpkin; 2016-05-29 at 09:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Did the gorilla really need to be shot, surely there could be have been another way? I feel more sorry for the Gorilla than the stupid human...
    It's hard to say. There isn't raw video showing exactly what the gorilla was doing - various news reports have said that he was throwing the child.

I understand why the zoo employees did what they did. I don't like it, but I understand it. I just think it's absolutely shitty that the gorilla paid the ultimate price for inattentive, foolish parents.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama