Page 40 of 139 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Just played my first 3 rounds and I'm already a little pissed about the fact that you can recruit and replenish units while being encircled... what the hell?
    Why would they design it that way. Not only that, the population continues to grow.

I didn't check the numbers, but it probably takes like 5 rounds or so until starvation kicks in, I'm able to recruit 3 units/round in my capital, eh... I don't know, if the enemy can do that too - that would mean I'm facing 15++ units (+ garrison) when they try to break the siege. How is that any easier than assaulting a weak garrison.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-05-28 at 03:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    Just played my first 3 rounds and I'm already a little pissed about the fact that you can recruit and replenish units while being encircled... what the hell?
    Why would they design it that way. Not only that, the population continues to grow.

I didn't check the numbers, but it probably takes like 5 rounds or so until starvation kicks in, I'm able to recruit 3 units/round in my capital, eh... I don't know, if the enemy can do that too - that would mean I'm facing 15++ units (+ garrison) when they try to break the siege. How is that any easier than assaulting a weak garrison.
    Do you think people in a real city would just chill there and do nothing if encircled for months?

You could always just assault the city.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Do you think people in a real city would just chill there and do nothing if encircled for months?

You could always just assault the city.

Uhm... yes? That's how it works and exactly why you do it?
    I mean... I don't even need to defend my postion, we have about one thousand years of history that prove it.

You'd encircle the city, the city can't produce enough food and is completely reliant on it's stockpile, it can't be reinforced from the outside, due to the encirclement. If they wanted to get free, they'd either have to fight in front of their walls, or hold out long enough until a relief force comes to rescue them and breaks the siege.

If they can produce and multiply like mad, the whole idea of encircling the town/fortress becomes pointless (especially because I can't reinforce/recruit like they do).. it's also not how it worked in every other Total War game I've played so far (shogun, medieval)
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-05-28 at 08:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhm... yes? That's how it works and why you do it?
    I mean... I don't even need to defend my postion, we have about one thousand years of history that proof it.

You'd encircle the city, the city can't produce enough food and are completely reliant on stocked up food, they can't be reinforced from the outside, due to the encirclement. If they wanted to get free, they'd either have to fight in front of their walls, or hold out long enough until a relief force comes to rescue them and to break the siege.
    To be honest, I don't really even understand what you are complaining about, your message is pretty jumbled other than complaining about recruitment and growth still continuing while encircled.

And with regard to history, if they didn't surrender right away garrisons did try to break sieges by various means... Most didn't just sit still and reserve themselves to a starving death.

Deleted
    so whats everyones opinions of this game? how does it compare to rome 2? rome 2 got a lot of hate, but i enjoyed it much more than shogun.

Deleted
    To be honest, I don't really even understand what you are complaining about, your message is pretty jumbled other than complaining about recruitment and growth still continuing while encircled.
    I'm complaining about them being able to recruit units while being cut off from absolutely everything, that's bullshit.

And with regard to history, if they didn't surrender right away garrisons did try to break sieges by various means... Most didn't just sit still and reserve themselves to a starving death.
    Yes (well, actually no, most garrison would surrender without a fight), but if you start your siege against a garrison of 5.000 men, you won't face 20.000 after a few months. The idea of that mechanic is/was always to weaken the garrison, it always blocked recruitment and population growth in Total War and that's also the most realistic approach.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-05-28 at 08:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm complaining about them being able to recruit units while being cut off from absolutely everything, that's bullshit.

Yes (well, actually no, most garrison would surrender without a fight), but if you start your siege against a garrison of 5.000 men, you won't face 20.000 after a few months. The idea of that mechanic is/was always to weaken the garrison, it always blocked recruitment and population growth in Total War and that's also the most realistic approach.
    And I said as much, most surrendered right away, as it was common to be generous and merciful if they surrendered quickly. But when they didn't surrender they made it hell for the attackers. And garrisons would easily increase in size during a siege... Peasantry that made it within the defenses were literally pressed into service, improving fortifications, defending the walls, etc. The non-military population didn't just sit and wait for death if there was something they could do.

Sieges break when it becomes to costly, it doesn't become costly if the defenders just stand around doing nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    And I said as much, most surrendered right away, as it was common to be generous and merciful if they surrendered quickly. But when they didn't surrender they made it hell for the attackers. And garrisons would easily increase in size during a siege... Peasantry that made it within the defenses were literally pressed into service, improving fortifications, defending the walls, etc. The non-military population didn't just sit and wait for death if there was something they could do.

Sieges break when it becomes to costly, it doesn't become costly if the defenders just stand around doing nothing.
    Except in Total War: Warhammer the peasentry doesn't come out to fight in a desperation attack but a complete elite army that build up during the siege itself.

KrayZee is entirely correct in this case. The point of a siege is to force a city that you cannot directly beat in an assault (because of the fortifications) to surrender.
    If that city is able to build a force while encircled it simply builds reinforcements to allow it to beat you on the field.

What use is there to siege at this point?
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Lorewise, only human and elves would be stagnant when sieged. Vampires/tomb kings can raise new undead, greenskins and skaven multiply really fast, dwarfs' karaks are almost impossible to cut off from world (dwarfs can mine new tunnels in matter of days), lizardmen are born fully grown from spawning pools.

Maybe limit recruitment to basic troops only?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Except in Total War: Warhammer the peasentry doesn't come out to fight in a desperation attack but a complete elite army that build up during the siege itself.

KrayZee is entirely correct in this case. The point of a siege is to force a city that you cannot directly beat in an assault (because of the fortifications) to surrender.
    If that city is able to build a force while encircled it simply builds reinforcements to allow it to beat you on the field.

What use is there to siege at this point?
    Its useful if you have multiple full stacks and don't want to take massive casualties? They aren't going to force a battle with two or more full stacks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I used a few mods and I broke it on medium. Just demolished The chaos army. I used speed up research and improved veteran mods. The combo was savage, was getting gold grave guards by about turn 60 and just walking over armies. Even had 1 gold chevron zombie army and it was easy as.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Well, I used a few mods and I broke it on medium. Just demolished The chaos army. I used speed up research and improved veteran mods. The combo was savage, was getting gold grave guards by about turn 60 and just walking over armies. Even had 1 gold chevron zombie army and it was easy as.
    Cheating results in the game being easy? Mind = blown.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    Cheating results in the game being easy? Mind = blown.
    Yeah, the level of DERP is great in this one :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I just... I... Well...
    <walks away>
    Ryzen 7 5800X - RX 6900 XT
    Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO - Crucial Ballistix DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz - Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
    Corsair 4000D Airflow - 1x ASUS 27" VG27AQ - 2x iiyama 24”

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure what's got everyone knickers in a twist I was only saying what I did, I wasn't making some grand point. Also it was faction wide speed research and veteran mod so it wasn't my intention to 'cheat' it was just to speed up the game, I inadvertently broke it instead. (The Varg also had multiple gold chevron armies)

You guys are special though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Yeah, the level of DERP is great in this one :P
    I don't know what you're talking about, what has derp got to do with anything in my post?

I found the anti-agent mod quite helpful now, I kept getting manfred taken out by agents and yet I couldn't even attempt to assassinate anyone even with a 3* banshee. Agents were not quite as broken in TW2.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2016-05-29 at 06:05 PM.

Not sure what's got everyone knickers in a twist I was only saying what I did, I wasn't making some grand point. Also it was faction wide speed research and veteran mod so it wasn't my intention to 'cheat' it was just to speed up the game, I inadvertently broke it instead. (The Varg also had multiple gold chevron armies)

You guys are special though.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know what you're talking about, what has derp got to do with anything in my post?

I found the anti-agent mod quite helpful now, I kept getting manfred taken out by agents and yet I couldn't even attempt to assassinate anyone even with a 3* banshee. Agents were not quite as broken in TW2.

You could have attempted to explain slightly better in your original post, because it reads like "I used two OP mods, game's easy as shit yo lolz". This one explains more clearly what you were going for.

Agents are silly though.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2016-05-29 at 06:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    You could have attempted to explain slightly better in your original post, because it reads like "I used two OP mods, game's easy as shit yo lolz". This one explains more clearly what you were going for.
    Well I thought the fact that I admitted to 'breaking' it was a fairly clear indicator that I was acknowledging nothing except that I broke it, meh i'll try better next time. Tbh it was on medium too, which theoretically shouldn't be that hard anyway, although I still struggle, I'm bad at this game.

I started my first Dwarf game today, hated it. Everything flees and lives because you can't catch them, then next turn they double back with a buddy and take you back on >< I'm used to chasing everything down with vargheists.

So... anyone know how "Curse of Undeath" and "Life Leeching" passive skills work exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    So... anyone know how "Curse of Undeath" and "Life Leeching" passive skills work exactly?
    Assuming they do what the tooltip says they are only active while the character is casting a spell.

- - - Updated - - -

A level 3 banshee is hardly high level. you only have an 8% bonus at that point instead of 24.

I was aware of potential agent problems from watching some streams so I went for quickly unlocking banshees and leveled them up by using them in my army until they had the full assassination bonus.

Haven't really had agent problems the entire game (turn 97 orso atm).

The only slight annoyance I had was with Empire Captains who seem to have an enemy failure bonus but even then I'm near 50%.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Assuming they do what the tooltip says they are only active while the character is casting a spell.

- - - Updated - - -

A level 3 banshee is hardly high level. you only have an 8% bonus at that point instead of 24.

I was aware of potential agent problems from watching some streams so I went for quickly unlocking banshees and leveled them up by using them in my army until they had the full assassination bonus.

Haven't really had agent problems the entire game (turn 97 orso atm).

The only slight annoyance I had was with Empire Captains who seem to have an enemy failure bonus but even then I'm near 50%.
    I meant 3* in assassinating, it's a level 16, which I know isn't that high but to not even get an option is still off imo when my legendary hero can be taken out by random agents..

Either way, not having the actions is preferable for me at the moment having to specifically spam banshees because of unfavorable odds in the ai favour is just not fun.

Now hero's are fun in battles or used for their deeply function.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2016-05-30 at 06:24 AM.