Thread: Support Love!?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lora Twinblade View Post
    I play pretty much nothing but Mercy and it's outright awful when people pick Roadhog thinking they are filling the tank spot. =/

There's nothing wrong with Roadhog as a hero but he's definitely not a tank.
    Then you have some cowardly people playing Roadhog with a Mercy on them.

Support, like in every game ever, is expected, thankless and not one person EVER makes sure you're ok. They let you die to everyone who literally walks through the team to kill you and then complain about a lack of support. That is why people will steer clear 99% of the time. If you want more supports, start looking out for them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Then you have some cowardly people playing Roadhog with a Mercy on them.
    The problem is that I'm too easy to kill with a Roadhog, he can't protect me. All other three have different kinds of shields they can use to keep me alive while I keep them alive, Roadhog has nothing, he can heal himself which is counter productive with me since it gives me less to heal thus less power to my ultimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lora Twinblade View Post
    The problem is that I'm too easy to kill with a Roadhog, he can't protect me. All other three have different kinds of shields they can use to keep me alive while I keep them alive, Roadhog has nothing, he can heal himself which is counter productive with me since it gives me less to heal thus less power to my ultimate.
    And yet, I've gotten all sorts of thank you so for murdering tracers, reapers, and genjis that try to fuck with my health friend.

I don't have a shield. But I can one click most people. I'm not a tortoise, but a ferocious mama bear protecting her support babies.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Support is usually the last or second last to lock in, but I never see anybody really complaining about it honestly.

I typically play offensive characters or tanks, but if nobody is picking it up I don't mind picking a support. Mercy, Lucio and even Zenyetta are pretty fun to play, although I gravitate towards Mercy most of the time as I like zipping around the map (especially if you have a Pharah).

Quite humorous observation though about people instantly locking anything but tanks and support though. I have loads of play time and pretty much have the same experience. I mostly play in groups of 3-6, and when we have a spot or two for a pug, I'd say there is a 90% chance that one of them instant locks Widow, Hanzo or Genji within 2 seconds of character select being open.

It be a lot worse if support wasn't fun, but I think it's designed pretty well in the game TBH. It can be frustrating playing it when you literally have your entire team roaming though, leaving you open to get utterly molested by a decent Tracer or Genji. Then your team wonders where the healing is.

Roadhog is a fine tank, but he's usually best served doubling up with another traditional one. While he isn't going to be able to stand out in the open like a Reinhardt, he can pretty easily run around a payload for an annoying amount of time before ever risking death.

Roadhog pairs up really well with Mercy in my opinion. While he can self heal, a lot of people really like to pelt him to build up ultimates (which is one of his major weaknesses). If you aren't in danger, it's way better for Mercy to just heal the damage so your entire team can be way more aggressive, as you're going to have her ultimate up an absurd amount of the time. It's not ideal but you can play around him because most flanking heroes can't kill him, and the ones that can (Reaper notably) still risk dying if he ends up landing his hook. Also it's fun to hide behind him if 76 uses his ultimate, because it's pretty hard for 76 eat through 600-900 health of Roadhogs, in addition to whatever Mercy would heal during that time.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like playing support (mainly mercy); you get focused an awful lot though, which may be why people don't like it. You're not only not shooting anyone, you also have a huge target on your back. You're also really dependent on your team actually sticking together. If everyone is off somewhere you're completely ineffective and get stomped, which is frustrating.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a couple of problems here. First, there are only 2 real healers. You don't want to run a solo Zen or Symmetra especially in uncoordinated groups. And second, for me personally, there is an issue where if you're forced into a role just to carry, it's going to take a ridiculously long time for you to get good at the roles you actually plan on playing most. Basically, to get really good at offensive and sniping roles you need to practice a LOT if you don't already come from another competitive FPS and already have the aim.

So right now I'm playing Widow on almost every map with some Hanzo thrown in for flavor (lol @ people complaining about "attack snipers"). I'll switch every now and then for a break because I still like playing the others (supports included) but I'm spending most of my time practicing my aim. I'm sure I'm not the only one eager to get the practice in, especially if you plan on doing ranked.

Here's to hoping we get another support really soon and it's another healer.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Quote Originally Posted by ZealousBlade View Post
    I see a lot of people telling other people to play support... after already picking Genji or Widowmaker. Those are my favorites personally
    that happened non stop in beta, my response to those people was always "ok, you do it" then i would choose reaper.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

its like playing support in dota, ull get ur medals for doing the right stuff but with idiots it doesnt matter how much u support u will lose

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf View Post
    that happened non stop in beta, my response to those people was always "ok, you do it" then i would choose reaper.
    Better plan. Pick Zenyatta. Do as little healing as possible while getting a card for doing 42% of the teams damage.

I already regret that I bought this game. It has exactly the same major flaw than League of Legends (or any other Moba) : You can't play the character you want to if you really want your team to be optimal. For me it's a major flaw for solo queue in all those games. If you don't have 5 friends who wants to play overwatch, don't buy it.

7+ Year Old Account
    If I'm solo queueing, I pretty much pick Mercy ASAP because I actually love her playstyle. I also love playing a support in every game I play. o.o;

When I'm in a group, 99.9% of the time I'm the support, though I'll change up to other supports to try and get a feel for all (four) of them.

Nothing quite so yummy as getting a five man res for PotG. XD

Deleted
    The amount of times I picked tank or support and the rest of the group just said "Fuck killing the enemy Mercy, let's all focus fire on Reinhardt's shield" made me avoid picking tank or support

Oh or what about the obvious Widowmaker/Reaper standing somewhere waiting for the Payload to go past them to rape us from behind while Bastion is nuking us from the front, meanwhile our Genji is running around the Payload rather than taking care of either problem

Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    Edit: And hell, half the time I dread when someone else plays tank. Apparently leading the push or taking care of the payload or whatever isn't what you should be doing, you should in fact be playing that Reinhardt as if you were a Tracer, flanking and stuff. Brilliant! No. Anyway, sometimes you just have to pick Reinhardt because it's a Payload map and your team has nothing else that can babysit the payload. I'm sure you're a great Hanzo, Widow, Genji and whatever else, but you aren't pushing the Payload any because you can't sit around there.
    Fun fact:

Often when I play Reinhardt I'm forced to do this because our Tracer isn't killing the Mercy that's about to rez their entire team
    Last edited by mmocf1858d9362; 2016-05-29 at 11:25 AM.

Deleted
    I often find myself playing Reinhardt, Lucio or Mercy - or switching to them because we need tank/healer. When I'm playing an offensive hero I mostly give my vote to a tank/healer or tell them they did a good job (if they actually did).

Deleted
    I love playing support, I'm support or healer in all games I play and it's not different in overwatch.
    I must admit tough that having only two real healers: Lucio as aoe healer and Mercy as targetted healer is getting a bit boring.
    Lucio and Mercy are nice chars to play with, they have a good toolkit, and Lucio is even a lot of fun. But having to play him over and over when I'm playing solo is making it very boring for me.
    Now I try to be very quick when picking my hero, and wait to see if someone else (usually in the last available spots) is picking one of those two.
    Sometimes it happens, but most of the time I have to switch mine to support.

I love symettra as well but to me she isn't really a healer, she is a very very good support char tough.
    I keep luring annoying people into my turret rooms and beam them to death The portal if placed correct can save my teammates very valuable time.

After a game I find that compared to beta, I get less votes from teammates on my card, even if I did amazing things.
    Even if my Lucio bumped 5 people of a cliff and healed amazing as I'm wallskating all around the objective while blasting enemies out, there is no love
    If the Bastion gets the upvotes I can even become very frustrated.

The pug teams I'm in usually have very wierd setups, and even when asking nicely it's very hard to make people change their chars.
    They have their mains or their 'I-wanna-be-awesome-with-this-char'-char and that's it.
    Even on maps where we have to play an objective, a lot of times my team is made up of chars that all go hide in buildings, trying to hit any enemies that are camping around the objective, often failing. And nobody is there to play the objective so we get defeated.

Please people play supports and tanks, I'm very happy the OP posted this video
    It can be a lot of fun!
    Make sure you can play one or two chars from each category, take them through VS AI on easy and medium, get to know those chars inside out, and use them to make a sensible team setup. The game would be more awesome if more people did this.
    Also: upvote your supports if they made a difference for you, or if they have something very good on their card, like most objective time it means they almost carried the objective to victory.
    Read some guides, there are good guides with each char's counterchars, switch your char to one of those counterchars if you have a tracer that keeps annoying you, or a junkrat.
    Check out on who's bugging your healer if Mercy yells: Get them off me!

If you are allready a good player: keep giving your teammates orders.
    Sometimes you have people in your team that can be a good addition, but they just need orders.
    It may be obvious to you to push the objective, but maybe not to your teammates.
    Just yell out names: Yo McCree and D.va get on the objective to keep it moving, I'll heal you.
    After a while we have a while new generation of people that know what to do and give orders themselves.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by ZealousBlade View Post
    I see a lot of people telling other people to play support... after already picking Genji or Widowmaker. Those are my favorites personally
    I'll be the first person in a match to choose something (say, Tracer, Junkrat) and then 5 other people come in and...nobody picks a tank or a healer. Most of my games I end up playing a tank or healer (I really enjoy it, but sometimes you want to do something different), so I do point it out that not one person picked a needed role.

...Then I give up and pick one.

It's just frustrating to see people not pick a needed role, or not change up when clearly their character isn't working/helping the team.

support (specifically lucio) definitely feels the best to play. your teammates may not appreciate you but you know whos winning your team the game

Quote Originally Posted by Bromeo TTG View Post
    Nearing a week into Overwatch's release and I'm starting to see a trend of what I like to call 'Support avoidance'. Anyone else noticing a lot of players avoiding support roles (even when they are suggested in the tool tip!)?
    I'm gonna post my personal opinion on Supports Heroes :

Mercy is boring as hell.
    Lucio would not be better in the fun department if not for his KnockBack.
    Zenyatta (Main) is fun as hell, you can heal and also deal a great amount of damage. Problem ? 150 health = One shot by Widowmaker Body Shot, you die pretty much to anything.
    Symmetra, I guess people don't really like to be relying so much on Turrets.
    Last edited by MrTharne; 2016-05-29 at 12:19 PM.

I've found Symmetra can be fun as a distracting nuisance, with proper set up of sentries you can get people to follow you into a laser filled frustration chase. Replacing any you lose asap to continue the death by a thousand stings approach. You'll typically end up fine (Either you've killed them or they've gotten killed by a team mate who notes that target's vulnerable position) if you don't run out into the open for a sniper to paint your face red. If you note the package is left unguarded, she can pop her turrets over it and use it as moving cover to great effect. And who doesn't like the ability to place a portal to avoid having to run from a scouted spawn zone to the objective.