Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/eRGASFH.gif[IMG]
    gonna talk spyro into translating this, it's my new mission in life since staying alive until oregairu LNs are finished means i'm basically immortal now

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Violet Evergarden art speaks romance/drama, this scene speaks CHICKS RIDING FUCKING AXES MAN. I'm confused.
    Think that might be a reference to her past. She used to serve as a soldier before the whole mail thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    gonna talk spyro into translating this, it's my new mission in life since staying alive until oregairu LNs are finished means i'm basically immortal now
    Did spyro go out of hiatus? Iirc his laptop got stolen. You'd be my god if you'd manage to do that.

He's been out of hiatus for a little while now. We just did a big dump of Joukamachi no Dandelion on 4chan about a month ago. I mentioned it but haven't heard anything back. Idk if he wants to do LNs anymore because they're so time intensive, and especially after someone snaked Oregairu vol 11 out from under us.

- - - Updated - - -

I've actually been searching online, trying to see if I could find a hard copy of the VE LN and can't find a single one. Amazon JP is out of stock.

I've actually been searching online, trying to see if I could find a hard copy of the VE LN and can't find a single one. Amazon JP is out of stock.
    Somehow I think KyoAni's cm might have something to do with that.

Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    Somehow I think KyoAni's cm might have something to do with that.
    Probably. If I could get a hold of a copy I could probably take a stab at translating and enlist the gf's help (i.e. see if she'll do it for me).

Probably. If I could get a hold of a copy I could probably take a stab at translating and enlist the gf's help (i.e. see if she'll do it for me).
    While I'd appreciate the effort, I honestly don't think that's such a good idea. In my opinion translating and understanding are very, very different things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asetotti View Post
    While I'd appreciate the effort, I honestly don't think that's such a good idea. In my opinion translating and understanding are very, very different things.
    His gf could secretly be a 10/10 translator

10+ Year Old Account
    3-4 hour delay on Re:Zero

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    His gf could secretly be a 10/10 translator
    Or she's Japanese.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm actually reading quite a few things in Japanese now. Mostly manga, but I've read a volume of S&W and several volumes of Oregairu in Japanese. There are definitely a lot of tricky things I come across but nothing I've not been able to solve without using a EN-JP dictionary or asking friends/gf. I get what you're saying, though.

Or she's Japanese.
    How anime is her life on a scale from 1 to magic high school anime?

10+ Year Old Account
    Or she's Japanese.
    I know she is, but just being able to understand both languages isn't the same as being a good translator.

I know she is, but just being able to understand both languages isn't the same as being a good translator.
    Being a native Japanese speaker it would be easier for her to translate to English than someone that learned Japanese as a secondary or tertiary language though.

Or she's Japanese.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm actually reading quite a few things in Japanese now. Mostly manga, but I've read a volume of S&W and several volumes of Oregairu in Japanese. There are definitely a lot of tricky things I come across but nothing I've not been able to solve without using a EN-JP dictionary or asking friends/gf. I get what you're saying, though.
    Reading in Japanese does not equal translating from Japanese. I'm not trying to be discouraging but let's just say that I would struggle with en->fi / fi->en.
    Now you can, ofcourse, do as you wish but I dare say that translating and just reading while checking dictionary will be whole different experiences.

edit: Though, I also think that if you are both good with your secondary languages and both of you put a lot of effort to it, it might just work out fine.
    Last edited by Asetotti; 2016-05-29 at 06:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reading in Japanese does not equal translating from Japanese. I'm not trying to be discouraging but let's just say that I would struggle with en->fi / fi->en.
    Now you can, ofcourse, do as you wish but I dare say that translating and just reading while checking dictionary will be whole different experiences.

edit: Though, I also think that if you are both good with your secondary languages and both of you put a lot of effort to it, it might just work out fine.
    Vale, probably the best translator in the community, has Japanese as his third or fourth language, after Hungarian and English. It also didn't even take him too long, and he says his English is better than his Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Vale, probably the best translator in the community, has Japanese as his third or fourth language, after Hungarian and English. It also didn't even take him too long, and he says his English is better than his Japanese.
    He has worked hard for it, he has probably put a lot of work to translating specifically.

I'm not saying it's impossible but I am saying it's very different from regular learning language to understand and produce it.

10+ Year Old Account
    He has worked hard for it, he has probably put a lot of work to translating specifically.

I'm not saying it's impossible but I am saying it's very different from regular learning language to understand and produce it.
    Of course, but he's only in his 20s and is translating from his tertiary to his secondary language (Jp > Eng), so with a bit of hard work it should be very possible. I think a lot of it comes from just translating over and over, and you'll get better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Of course, but he's only in his 20s and is translating from his tertiary to his secondary language (Jp > Eng), so with a bit of hard work it should be very possible. I think a lot of it comes from just translating over and over, and you'll get better and better.
    Agreed.
    There's also one thing I'd like to point out about him. Not sure about Sj but Vale had actually learned another language before Japanese. And Hungarian is probably his native so he had made one big leap already when he started Japanese (Hungarian and English are pretty different, as in they are from entirely different families, English being Indo-european and Hungarian is Uralic).
    But yeah, I have no idea about Sj's "language history" so I wouldn't know about that, but already being bilingual holds an advantage when it comes to speed.

and again, I'm not trying to be a cunt even if I come off as a little over sceptical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Inb4: She actually is a 10/10 translator and Sj is going to come up with something great.

Inb4: She actually is a 10/10 translator and Sj is going to come up with something great.
    She could be. Dunno.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed.
    There's also one thing I'd like to point out about him. Not sure about Sj but Vale had actually learned another language before Japanese. And Hungarian is probably his native so he had made one big leap already when he started Japanese (Hungarian and English are pretty different, as in they are from entirely different families, English being Indo-european and Hungarian is Uralic).
    But yeah, I have no idea about Sj's "language history" so I wouldn't know about that, but already being bilingual holds an advantage when it comes to speed.

and again, I'm not trying to be a cunt even if I come off as a little over sceptical.
    Oh nah I agree with you on your points. You're not coming across as that at all.

If I remember correctly I think he started learning English in grade school, so he was bilingual by High School, and started learning Japanese in HS, so it would definitely give him a one up.