Page 44 of 138 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianus View Post
    you can suck my dick same as critics
    You know, my younger brother had a similar line about The Phantom Menace. It was "the critics are wrong and they can all blow me."

Then I saw it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Swing and miss, high grossing movies (which is what "flop" is related to) aren't very common on the main categories. But hey, considering the praise of the CGI, I would be surprised with technical Oscars.
    I can picture Billy crystal dusting his tux down as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I was under the impression marketing costs were typically not included. Marketing isn't done yet, for one thing.
    Do you even know what a budget is? They budget a certain sum of money into marketing before they even begin filming. The whole movie is considered a "project", and said project has a total budget, which includes everything from salaries to catering to marketing. If the bosses say they are going to spend $50 million on marketing, then that is included in the total budget of a movie.

Talking about a flop when the movie isn't even out in a lot of countries. GG. June 1 comes Warcraft out over here.

as i said in the other thread, this is the best video game to film adaptation there is to date. nice to see something break the trend of bad game movies for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by un_known View Post
    as i said in the other thread, this is the best video game to film adaptation there is to date. nice to see something break the trend of bad game movies for a change.
    I agree with this. It's much better than all the other video game movies. I still think it's a really bad movie from a story perspective but it's way ahead of all the other movies of this subgenre.

Deleted
    Warcraft movie is cool. It feels like a Harry Potter or Ironman, which is nice - I guess. It's not bad at all, but it's not really deep and wont be considered as a meaningfull movie.
    It is what it is. You see an adventure and that's allright.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucro View Post
    Do you even know what a budget is? They budget a certain sum of money into marketing before they even begin filming. The whole movie is considered a "project", and said project has a total budget, which includes everything from salaries to catering to marketing. If the bosses say they are going to spend $50 million on marketing, then that is included in the total budget of a movie.
    If you go to the wikipedia page on Film Budgeting, you will not find marketing listed as a cost in any of the budgets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_budgeting

The cost up to but not including promotion/marketing costs is called the "net negative cost" (negative meaning film negative). This is typically what is listed as the cost of a film in lists of most expensive films.

According to http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lis...-office-895244 the film cost $160M to make, so that figure is the negative cost.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Right now, sitting at a disastrous score in RT. It begs the question to what Blizzard was thinking with this shit again.

What was the point?
    Although I think the movie looks like hot garbage, it's too soon to tell if it is actually a bad movie or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop reading reviews and do what this guy says

Quote Originally Posted by monkmastaeq View Post
    Here's a fun idea people should grow a brain watch it themselves and form their own opinion~!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    I agree with this. It's much better than all the other video game movies. I still think it's a really bad movie from a story perspective but it's way ahead of all the other movies of this subgenre.
    The story doesn't get interesting until second and third war anyways. The only 2 characters that ever intrigued me in the first war were Gul'dan and Medivh and I hear those are pulled of marvelously so far.

As long as I get the epic fun adventure I expect, I'm content.

If you go to the wikipedia page on Film Budgeting, you will not find marketing listed as a cost in any of the budgets.
    I said the project has a budget, not the film. Obviously the film alone is a post of its own in the overall budget of a movie project. But either way, don't think for a second they don't budget for marketing when making a movie. It's not like they just throw money around without a plan, and see in the end how much it all cost, with absolutely no vision of their projected spendings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucro View Post
    I said the project has a budget, not the film. Obviously the film alone is a post of its own in the overall budget of a movie project. But either way, don't think for a second they don't budget for marketing when making a movie. It's not like they just throw money around without a plan, and see in the end how much it all cost, with absolutely no vision of their projected spendings.
    But we aren't talking about numbers they use internally. We're talking about the publically reported number of $160M, and this number appears to be the net negative cost of production, which does not include distribution/promotion costs.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by daywalker02 View Post
    I am predicting close to 580 million or even more

what would be your prediction?
    $580M is a bit optimistic but if it does that well, I'm sure we'll see a sequel.

My prediction is a modest $400M total worldwide cume. While I personally do not think the US opening weekend will be as spectacular as other more mainstream summer tentpole productions, I believe positive audience word-of-mouth should give the movie a lasting, consistent theatrical run.

Deleted
    The movie is an international box office hit. I wouldn't call that a flop.

Quote Originally Posted by Monomate View Post
    The movie is an international box office hit. I wouldn't call that a flop.
    It's too early to say that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rottentomatoes, wasn't it that site which ranked Jurassic World higher than Interstellar? Yeah, I thought so too. Great source for unbiased reviews.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope it makes enough that Duncan will go ahead and make the extended edition like he wants too so badly.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awelon View Post
    Rottentomatoes, wasn't it that site which ranked Jurassic World higher than Interstellar? Yeah, I thought so too. Great source for unbiased reviews.
    I don't think you understand how that site works. It's a review aggregator.

Also: You liking one movie more than another doesn't mean that everyone else did. For example I thought both of those movies were awful, but I liked JW more than interstellar. I recognize that a lot of people enjoyed both movies however.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's too early to say that.
    The early openings were very impressive internationally. Deserving or not, I want sequels even before seeing it. Though I'll happily stick to books, if not.

Off topic, good avatar and choice of sig quotes!
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.