Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Furlong View Post
    I think it's an anti-cloning device.

Cloning the magnetic band is trivial. Chips can not be cloned.

Hopefully in the future we will all be paying with our phone, but we're not there, yet.
    I was in the UPS store returning my textbook rentals last week and the people in the store couldn't figure out how to get Apple Pay to work for the lady in front of me. I was able to pull it up on her phone, but the UPS people were clueless as to where the reader was since clearly the normal location wasn't working. Like the employees should have known how to use it....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Teflonsavior View Post
    I pity you if that's the kind of problem you consider worth of making a thread for.
    Or do you envy him since that is a huge problem in his life versus a multitude of other things that people have.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    (I dont mean potato chips.... or fries.... I know someone would post this)

Credit cards have those super annoying chips now. It takes longer for me to buy stuff, I now stand awkwardly waiting to put my card back into my wallet, and worse of all.... why the fuck can't I just swipe my damn card without something going wrong??? THE SWIPE IS STILL THERE!

Anyone else annoyed with this?
    Not at all. I wish all of the card readers would use the chips. It eliminates the whole skimmer problem (for now).

BTW, I've timed it a few times...the chip readers actually take about the same amount of time as swiping. But most people are busy putting their card away to notice that after the swipe, it takes 5 to 10 seconds for the communications with the CC servers to complete...the same as for the chip.

chips can be shit, i prefer the swipe myself, or tap as its called where you just waive your card infront of the machine and it beeps and your done. i wish every store had the tap/swipe machines.

honestly, I'm more annoyed at this being seen as some sort of security panacea... whereas in reality they are as bad if not worse than regular swipe cards.

http://thehackernews.com/2015/10/hac...pin-cards.html

at least it seems like they fixed another vulnerability that allowed RFID cards to be hacked remotely without ever having to touch them at all. at least I think they fixed it?

basically, the only real credit card security is keeping a close watch on your transactions and immediately disputing anything that you yourself haven't charge, should that happen to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    chips can be shit, i prefer the swipe myself, or tap as its called where you just waive your card infront of the machine and it beeps and your done. i wish every store had the tap/swipe machines.
    yeah, those are the ones that are easiest to hack. far easier than swipe OR chip.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's annoying because most people are idiots. Every line I've been in with people using them has slowed things down. Most codes, more security, more waiting, it's about as effective as the TSA.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

For the short time I was using a card without chip and pin, most retailers barely even glanced at the signatures to see if they matched. Also, a lot of places had pens attached with a bit of string, so people didn't nick them, and they were always on the right of the flat bit they put the receipt on for you to sign... rather annoying as a left hander, the string got in the way so much. Given those things, I'm rather glad they went with chip and pin, as it may be a fraction slower, but it's a lot more secure.

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Everyone should have a PIN no? Need that safety, it'd be insane to have something as valuable as one's bank card be unprotected!
    You can use it as debit OR credit for a transaction. Credit doesn't need a pin.

Not really since its added security to fight people trying to steal your credit card information.