Whether they ran it on an emulator or not Blizzard had a reason for wanting to talk to them. They don't just randomly invite guys they put their lawyers on to Blizzard HQ. What that reason is only they know.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Whether they ran it on an emulator or not Blizzard had a reason for wanting to talk to them. They don't just randomly invite guys they put their lawyers on to Blizzard HQ. What that reason is only they know.
    Well it's interesting also since Mark basically stating things were brought up he couldn't discuss and the technical things he couldn't discuss. There is a plethora of things and reasons, but in terms of specifically Legacy and speculation it really does make your mind run all over with what Nost can possibility bring to the table for Legacy servers. What you mentioned for example it doesn't make sense for Blizzard to do everything they are doing, especially after mentioning to Mark they want to know how they dealt with the technological challenges, for nothing. Some people have tried to claim just a PR stunt, which it could ultimately end in if Nost can't assist with anything in the Legacy department.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Goremonger View Post
    I heard that the nostalrius team was invited to blizz hq for a meeting. What ever became of that?
    As announced previously, we are also in contact with Blizzard representatives. We are excited to announce that the meeting date has been decided: it will occur at the beginning of June at Blizzard HQ, Irvine. No precise date nor schedule will be provided for security reasons, expect a report within a few days after this meeting.

Something will definetly happen within next 2 weeks. I can see few scenarios coming from this:

1) Blizzard gives a definite NO. The private server scene will remain, but since people will wish to figure out what the deal is all about the awareness of private servers will only grown.

2) Blizzard gives a definite YES. The private server scene will notably shrink when it comes to Vanilla servers as Blizzard will offer stability for $15/month which will entice people especially after what happened on Kronos some time ago.

3) Blizzard wont say anything. The private server scene will remain and a lot of suspicions/conspiracy theories arise. The resulting atmosphere of distrust will revenge push people even harder into private servers and cement Blizz reputation as just another greedy corporation that doesnt give a fuck about their own playerbase's enthusiasm.

"Legacy" wow would bring back a 10 year content drought. People are already dying from HFC's 1.5.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by swango View Post
    "Legacy" wow would bring back a 10 year content drought. People are already dying from HFC's 1.5.
    sorry, what?
    Classic would not replace live ... if anything it would shut up the people wanting to go back to previous expansions. So this would very much be a win-win for both parties.
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    Well, if nothing else they succeeded in making a very popular game server, so they must have been hitting some of the right buttons on what the 'legacy' audience wants..
    Really? They had the Legacy server with the least bugs / most acurate emulation of Vanilla WoW. It still had shitoads of bugs / broken quests, it just had less then the others. That is literally the only button they really had to push. Coincidentally, that is also pretty much completely meaningless if Blizzard has all of their old source code for Vanilla, since that means that blizzard has pretty much nothing at all to learn from them in regards to geting a Vanilla server up and running because they could literally start one that was 100% Vanilla any time they wanted to (ignoring the fact that it would be completely incompatable with their current server harware and all of their software infrastructure of ccourse).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    Blizzard knows something you dont, obviously. Nostalrius knows stuff you don't.

Again, Blizzard knows something you don't. Also, Nostalrius knows stuff you don't.
    And ALL OF US have, in reality, absolutely NO FREAKING CLUE what Blizzard actually wants to talk to the Nost team about. Yet you guys are convinced that somehow nost is going to give Blizzard magical insight into running Vanilla servers that the bloody people who BUILT THE GAME somehow havent already figured out on their own......... it's mind boggling really.

At least I actually attempt to provide plausible reasoning as to why the Nost team isnt really going to contribute anything meaningful, if anything at all. But you just stick your fingers in your ear and go "lalalalalala, Nost Devs know! We have no idea what they know, but they KNOW! And blizzard knows they know! Thats why Blizzard is so desperate to talk to them". If you had anything even remotely approaching a reasoned arguement we might take you seriously, but all you have is "they kno1!!" and nothing else at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Really? They had the Legacy server with the least bugs / most acurate emulation of Vanilla WoW. It still had shitoads of bugs / broken quests, it just had less then the others. That is literally the only button they really had to push. Coincidentally, that is also pretty much completely meaningless if Blizzard has all of their old source code for Vanilla, since that means that blizzard has pretty much nothing at all to learn from them in regards to geting a Vanilla server up and running because they could literally start one that was 100% Vanilla any time they wanted to (ignoring the fact that it would be completely incompatable with their current server harware and all of their software infrastructure of ccourse).

- - - Updated - - -

And ALL OF US have, in reality, absolutely NO FREAKING CLUE what Blizzard actually wants to talk to the Nost team about. Yet you guys are convinced that somehow nost is going to give Blizzard magical insight into running Vanilla servers that the bloody people who BUILT THE GAME somehow havent already figured out on their own......... it's mind boggling really.

At least I actually attempt to provide plausible reasoning as to why the Nost team isnt really going to contribute anything meaningful, if anything at all. But you just stick your fingers in your ear and go "lalalalalala, Nost Devs know! We have no idea what they know, but they KNOW! And blizzard knows they know! Thats why Blizzard is so desperate to talk to them". If you had anything even remotely approaching a reasoned arguement we might take you seriously, but all you have is "they kno1!!" and nothing else at all.
    You come across very butthurt for some reason mate, relax a little.
    About the bolded part. Having actually played the server myself i found very very few broken quests on nost. I know i came across 2 of them. It makes me wondering if you actually know what you are talking about ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chrno View Post
    About the bolded part. Having actually played the server myself i found very very few broken quests on nost. I know i came across 2 of them. It makes me wondering if you actually know what you are talking about ...
    I said it had bugs and broken quests. I said it had fewer then other Private servers. You pointing out that you only managed to find 2 of them doesnt exactly disprove my point........ But yes, continue to believe that your anecdotal evidence just totally shut my argeuemnt down if it makes you feel a bit better.

Also, the butthurt comment was cute. Pointless, irrilevant, and completely off base, but cute none the less. I would honestly love to know what exactly makes me "butthurt" other than that I said something you disagree with, but given how well you just totally shut down my previous point, I am not expecting much in the way of an explanation for that one either.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2016-05-30 at 08:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I said it had bugs and broken quests. I said it had fewer then other Private servers. You pointing out that you only managed to find 2 of them doesnt exactly disprove my point........ But yes, continue to believe that your anecdotal evidence just totally shut my argeuemnt down if it makes you feel a bit better.
    You said it had shitoads of broken quests. I simple found out that was incorrect due to actually play time ... i actually remember finding more broken quests when WoW first released ...

I am glad we can all trust you on your anecdotal evidence that it has a 'shitoad' of broken quests and bugs.

Also, the butthurt comment was cute. Pointless, irrilevant, and completely off base, but cute none the less. I would honestly love to know what exactly makes me "butthurt" other than that I said something you disagree with, but given how well you just totally shut down my previous point, I am not expecting much in the way of an explanation for that one either.
    Protip: Posting lot's of stuff in capslock makes people come across as trying to shout to someone.

Really? They had the Legacy server with the least bugs / most acurate emulation of Vanilla WoW. It still had shitoads of bugs / broken quests, it just had less then the others. That is literally the only button they really had to push.
    Some people see learning opportunities everywhere, others think they know everything there is to know already. There is much more to getting a great community server than 'fixing bugs'. It involves a lot of choices and trade-offs.

Protip: Posting lot's of stuff in capslock makes people come across as trying to shout to someone.
    Would it have made any difference if I had used Bold tags instead? I mean, its not like people havent been using Capital Letters in text media for damn near forever to indicate emphasis or anything. Nah. Couldnt be that. They must be butthurt ragers. A handfull of words in all caps. Feel that rage!

Deleted
    sorry, what?
    Classic would not replace live ... if anything it would shut up the people wanting to go back to previous expansions. So this would very much be a win-win for both parties.
    And eventually all the ignorant 2012 players will try vanilla and realize... wow for the first time i can actually have friends because there is no crossrealm and the server has an actual community... i'll quit legion!

You said it had shitoads of broken quests. I simple found out that was incorrect due to actually play time ...
    Your playtime is subjective. Bug trackers are not : report . nostalrius . org/plugins/tracker/?tracker=14
    Coming back to the topic, while I am a supporter of Classic gameplay, anyone that believes Nostalrius's meeting will be different than Mark Kern's one ("Hi, yeah we know what you're talking about, yeah we'll think about it, have a nice day, bye) is a naive fool. It's just not how the world works. Meetings are very codified, their content is predictable and does not give any information about the plans of those involved.

10+ Year Old Account
    The chances of getting a time machine and going back to the glorious days of Vanilla WoW are probably greater than Blizzard asking for help from the Nostralrius guys on a game that they made themselves.

The part you need to understand is that not all players tastes have devolved. Plenty of former players just left the game, others stayed on but watched in horror the 'new' direction taken. New players came aboard and liked the new style, other new players just flat out laugh at what this game had become and never even played past the initial month. There is no homogeneous audience in this respect. There is a whole spectrum of players. These discussions clearly show that 'one wow' isn't enough anymore to satisfy the needs.
    But going back to limited poorly designed systems and archaic mechanics like drinking after every pull is also not a good alternative lol. Vanilla was never complete, they released in pretty much beta state to get it out the door.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    But going back to limited poorly designed systems and archaic mechanics like drinking after every pull is also not a good alternative lol. Vanilla was never complete, they released in pretty much beta state to get it out the door.
    Yet many of us decide to go back to that beta for some reason...

Neither old nor new is 'ideal', but, playing both now side by side, my vote goes to the vanilla style without hesitation.

Because the vast majority of the wow player base never ever experienced vanilla at the time to me is new content. It is less, well insanely less complicated than legion mechanics, but way more time consuming. This is their fear. People will get so bogged down by vanilla content once they start the population of live realms will go down causing more mergers and when they return to live either hating it and quiting or bogging down the servers. I won't ever return to live since I was able to see all the boss mills in a month of LFR on live but I would drudge into vanilla for months

Quote Originally Posted by Sähäri View Post
    Yet many of us decide to go back to that beta for some reason...
    Oh it is fun, but I would never pay monthly for it if it was more than 2$ a month, I will stick to my private server version of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Neither old nor new is 'ideal', but, playing both now side by side, my vote goes to the vanilla style without hesitation.
    The thing is I cannot invest as much into it since DK came out, they are the single most amazing thing they added to the game for me.
    Last edited by Unholyground; 2016-05-30 at 03:53 PM.

Deleted
    Oh it is fun, but I would never pay monthly for it if it was more than 2$ a month, I will stick to my private server version of it.

- - - Updated - - -

The thing is I cannot invest as much into it since DK came out, they are the single most amazing thing they added to the game for me.
    I personally hated it when they came out They fit the lore well and all. I guess the opness of them ruined it for me when they came out