Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The 'legacy' revenue model?

'Retail' WOW has been moving from a 'purchase + pay for game-time' model to a 'purchase + in game cash shop' model. While the original (now much older) audience was fine with a subscription model, the current younger gamer sees this as a complete no-go, so the change was needed.
    All legacy people I spoke to dismiss the idea of an in-game cash shop, but 'subscriptions' are a dying revenue model. So where will the revenue come from?

(I am pro-legacy, but it needs a revenue model)

Something that will never exist will never have revenue.

Hope this clears it up for you.

There is no legitimate reason to have a cash shop. All they do it feed money out of a game, placing $$ into other projects, which does not serve anyone actually playing the game.

Instead of money going into cool content, it instead goes into cool cash shops with cool "payed-for" rewards? screw that.

If Legacy people cannot earn what they have within the game, then they should go back to retail. Get tokens there if need be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    'Retail' WOW has been moving from a 'purchase + pay for game-time' model to a 'purchase + in game cash shop' model. While the original (now much older) audience was fine with a subscription model, the current younger gamer sees this as a complete no-go, so the change was needed.
    All legacy people I spoke to dismiss the idea of an in-game cash shop, but 'subscriptions' are a dying revenue model. So where will the revenue come from?

Current WoW has a cash shop + monthly payment. Most people don't make enough gold to pay 80k gold per month, i sure as hell don't make that money.
    Classic server should be made available to everyone that pays the current montly payment (gold or money). So that everyone that feels like playing actually can, if you would make them pay extra money, or a different kind of sub chances are people will stop playing classic OR Live while you actually want people playing both
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

10+ Year Old Account

I don't mind the ingame store, nothing game breaking there. I like the subscription model and don't wish for F2P..

... What is 'legacy' people?
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Dont understand what youre trying to say, wow still has a sub fee and will have one for a long time to come. Buying a token with gold is still paying a sub because someone else had to pay $20 to make the token available to you. Blizz gets its sub money the same no matter how an individual pays for their sub, gold or cash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsara View Post
    Dont understand what youre trying to say, wow still has a sub fee and will have one for a long time to come. Buying a token with gold is still paying a sub because someone else had to pay $20 to make the token available to you. Blizz gets its sub money the same no matter how an individual pays for their sub, gold or cash.
    You're right, but people can't seem to understand that the token is more than just gold in someones pocket.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

If legacy servers are implemented, they should be "as-was" at the last patch of that era (classic, TBC, ect). You should have to have an active account and pay an extra 2-3 dollars per month on your sub if you want to access legacy servers. This provides the funds for blizz to maintain servers "as-was" and keeps over all subs up.
    Last edited by sociald1077; 2016-05-30 at 08:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sociald1077 View Post
    If legacy servers are implemented, they should be "as-was" at the last patch of that era (classic, TBC, ect). You should have to have an active account and pay an extra 2-3 dollars per month on your sub for accessing legacy servers. This provides the funds for blizz to maintain servers "as-was" and keeps over all subs up.
    If Legacy servers was ever to be a thing, there should be a function to opt-in and opt-out with a 2 month lock. That was, people who doesn't wish to pay for it, can avoid it and the ones who wish to, and play it, can pay for it.

paying + sub had worked until blizz wanted more money

Deleted
    The subscription model is absolutely fine... IF they actually made content for this game anymore. 1 patch every 2 years is absolutely terrible and a massive fuck you to their loyal subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    If Legacy servers was ever to be a thing, there should be a function to opt-in and opt-out with a 2 month lock. That was, people who doesn't wish to pay for it, can avoid it and the ones who wish to, and play it, can pay for it.
    That's kinda what I was going for. Edited my post to reflect that.

I don't think legacy servers should cost extra. If you pay the subscription you get to play both on legacy servers and retail. Legacy servers will bring back a lot of players who will pay their subscription and not play the retail version anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Making people pay extra for less (sub + 3 euro for example) would insta kill legacy servers before they would even start.
    Noone should pay that amount of money for keeping a server up wthout extra content being created for them.

in other words:
    it should be included in the normal sub

How many 12-16 yo do you know with a WOW subscription who are not the kids of veteran WOW players? (hint: they do not pay subscription games, even though they might spend the equivalent each month on LOL skins)

Deleted

Subscriptions may be a dying model, but this is targetted at a specific older section of the playerbase who are used to the concept and probably expect to pay a premium for something they feel passionately about.
    The "buy a fluffy pink pony for 30 dollars" thing is directed at a younger audience, that will only have relevance on retail.

If you go to Starbucks you can buy a coffee for $10 dollars. Most people don't want to pay $10 for a coffee. However, some people do. The $10 coffee costs much the same to produce as a $4 coffee, so it makes sense to offer it.
    Last edited by mmoc1414832408; 2016-05-30 at 09:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Something that will never exist will never have revenue.

Hope this clears it up for you.
    you think blizz are just stringing us along in the hopes we forget? We will never forget.
    Hi

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrno View Post
    Making people pay extra for less (sub + 3 euro for example) would insta kill legacy servers before they would even start.
    Noone should pay that amount of money for keeping a server up wthout extra content being created for them.

in other words:
    it should be included in the normal sub
    so why should blizzard keep the server up without getting paid for it.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Paying and sub works fine. I would have unsubbed and waited for Legion if I couldn't buy time with gold. The current model got more money out of me than the alternative. I have bought nothing from the cash shop unless you want to count transfers or faction changes and I am not the kind of person who buys pets/mounts from it because again, gold's easy to get and lots of people sell nice things for gold.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    so why should blizzard keep the server up without getting paid for it.
    - as a extra service to people who already invested 100's on dollers into the game;
    - as a way to keep people playing live to not unsub during content luls
    - to attract new players who are interested in playing classic
    - to attract old schoolers to return to play classic
    - .... anything i missed but fits the above ...

Pick one of the above reasons. These should keep the legacy servers profitable. If the above doesn't do it, then getting them up has no use if you ask me