Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    Canada has hate crimes laws, so there isn't freedom of speech as Americans know it. You're free to say what the government deems is worthy.
    That is a very sharp two edged sword. I understand reasonable laws on restricting freedom of speech, but what the government thinks is socially acceptable? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dd614 View Post
    Canada has hate crimes laws, so there isn't freedom of speech as Americans know it. You're free to say what the government deems is worthy.
    Bad jokes are hate crimes!!?!?!?!?!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    But there are laws which do. Like yelling fire in a building filled with a lot of people when there is none.
    Thats different, and not really comparable here.

Deleted
    But there are laws which do. Like yelling fire in a building filled with a lot of people when there is none.
    We'll suffer a few disruptions if there's a huge net gain.

I don't believe someone should go to prison for telling a joke. A few disruptions is a small price to pay to be free of tyranny.

Edit: fixed a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbariangreataxe View Post
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...unal-1.3461693

I've seen a few of these types of cases where comedians are being dragged into court battles over jokes. Do you not have speech protections up there?
    You can take anyone to court, it doesn't mean you'll win.

That's murder isn't it?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    I live in Quebec and I've known the kid at whom the joke was directed toward when I was a young teenager (I didn't go to school with him, but his father was a Taekwondo teacher - my brother & I had classes with him and his father, basically).

It's a rather touchy subject here and it's certainly something the population is divided. Personally I don't think the humorist's joke was anywhere close to funny. However, I'm against any type of censorship - because then you get on a slippery slope.

You have those who likes Mike Ward jokes, which tend to be rather dark. Then again, that's his style and his selling point - he basically go and say stupid/mean things in a light tone, so you know it's jokes and anti-PC. Think Louis CK in the US, but more direct. In any case, going after someone like him isn't something new he does - but usually, he goes against a group and not individuals.

You have those who put free speech above anything else - I'm part of that group - who may or may not like Mike Wards' jokes, but who believe that the day you start censoring is the day where morality become a thought police (and it's already hard enough to have opinions that goes against mainstream).

Then you have those who put psychological safety first, who cannot understand how someone can joke around someone disabilities and cause real-life trouble to someone just for a show.

Now, what happened is quite simple. Mike Ward laughed at Jeremy Gabriel, who suffer from Treacher Collins syndrome, which cause a lot of disabilities (mainly physical) as you can see from the article. Now, he laughed at him because he's:

1. Not that good looking
    2. Sang in front of the pope
    3. His parents tried to use his disability as a method to make their child popular.

Now, in itself it's a pretty tough situation. But it goes beyond that; comedians started speaking publicly against censorship and openly supported Mike Ward, which then led to some public platforms apocalypse (Radios, Journals and Cables were flooded with that for days on).

Since this, we haven't heard from the whole situation. We don't know if there has been a verdict - we don't even know if there's a date. All we know is that we don't know what's going to happen.

I also want to state that this happen in QUEBEC, which mean FRENCH CANADIANS and not the major part of Canada. Just thought I should precise this for OP.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

Thats different, and not really comparable here.
    It is applicable to the extent some restrictions need to be in place and are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    I don't believe someone should go to prison for telling a joke.
    And they won't. The Human Rights Tribunal does not have that power. They can issue orders to cease a practice and they can levy fines.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    You can take anyone to court, it doesn't mean you'll win.
    True but if comedians are taken to court everytime someone doesn't like a joke we'd live in a very dark society that no one would like.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    That's murder isn't it?
    Depends. There may not be any physical harm done to anyone if a persons causes panic unnecessarily. It is still unlawful however.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    -snip-
    I appreciate the personal insight and I agree with you. Its a horrible slippery slope.

remember if you kill your enemies they win - justin the cuck trudeau
    mr pickles

It is applicable to the extent some restrictions need to be in place and are.
    But, again, doesn't really apply to this case. Yelling bomb or fire is known to create public panics.. making fun of people generally does not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    you can have freedom of speech, but that doesn't mean there aren't consequences for what you say.
    That's exactly how it works. They can hate you for what you are saying, but you won't be dragged into a court to defend yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    They can issue orders to cease a practice and they can levy fines.
    People should not be fined by their governments for bad jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    He's saying it sucks that a person hasn't died yet.
    Ooh, the humour!
    Didn't say it was funny.

Said he should not be in court because of it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...unal-1.3461693

I've seen a few of these types of cases where comedians are being dragged into court battles over jokes. Do you not have speech protections up there?
    Can I start a "Whats' going on in the US" thread?

http://theweek.com/articles/467899/5...-over-material

My favorite though was Trump suing Maher for an orangutan joke:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/06/showbi...ll-maher-suit/

I'd argue lawsuits are 'Muricas specialty.
    Retired GM of Temerity - US Top 50 raiding on a strict 3 nights since Ulduar. Check us out!
    https://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/hyjal/Temerity

Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    True but if comedians are taken to court everytime someone doesn't like a joke we'd live in a very dark society that no one would like.
    It would suck but you could travel to live shows or stream.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    But, again, doesn't really apply to this case. Yelling bomb or fire is known to create public panics.. making fun of people generally does not.
    Different restrictions for different actions. Making fun of someone should not result in any government fines or such. But it can result in you getting fired from your job. And understandable.

10+ Year Old Account
    People should not be fined by their governments for bad jokes.
    So "It's just a joke brah!" is a free for all card?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gyrados View Post
    remember if you kill your enemies they win - justin the cuck trudeau
    Yeah, let's just indiscriminately fire off explosives anywhere there might be a "bad guy". It's not like killing the parents/children/siblings/etc. of previously neutral people would cause them to join the enemy or anything.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    So "It's just a joke brah!" is a free for all card?
    It should be from any action by the government. If you make fun of your boss however , you should expect being fired for showing disrespect. And if you say something about someone else which can be damaging to their reputation and they feel it is false, they should be able to sue you.