Poll: Would you like your country to become a new state in the United States?

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    Yeah, but that's the thing: I am living in Austria, and I don't see a single thing that would get (a lot?) better for us if we were part of the US.
    Blasphemy! You think crazy insurances, school costs and banktrupcies due to medical bills wouldn't improve your life?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Yeah, but that's the thing: I am living in Austria, and I don't see a single thing that would get (a lot?) better for us if we were part of the US.
    Yeah, Austria seems like a pretty nice place. I'd be in no hurry to make changes that would be potentially catastrophic when there's not any clear gain to be had. The problems that Austria does have aren't things that are improved by being an American state. Lots of downside, not much upside.

As an American ,I would rather not have anymore "states" .
    We have enough problems,issues concerns with the amount of people we have already, thanks.

Legal immigration? welcome my new kith and kin.
    Glad you are here.

The day that happens I'd join ISIS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Well, I guess France's per capita GDP does beat Mississippi, so congratulations to them on not being quite as poor as our most impoverished state! A bit more effort and they might catch West Virginia.
    The US can only dream of being as well off as France is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Well, apparently only Mississippi.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    It is much better if your countries were to be annexed by France.
    At least I know French already!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Yeah, Austria seems like a pretty nice place. I'd be in no hurry to make changes that would be potentially catastrophic when there's not any clear gain to be had. The problems that Austria does have aren't things that are improved by being an American state. Lots of downside, not much upside.
    Pretty much. Of course we do have problems, like most other countries, but overall we are in a pretty decent spot - and like you said, none of those problems would be fixed by becoming an US state.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Blasphemy! You think crazy insurances, school costs and banktrupcies due to medical bills wouldn't improve your life?
    I think I will stick with my (almost) free health insurance, and (almost) free studies/university.

Umm no thanks, we've had enough 'troubles' here with just being part of Britain.

As mentioned, let me know when France's economic production catches up to that of the second poorest American state. Personally, I do not dream of ascending to the living standards of West Virginia.

If you prefer other measures, the United States also has much higher disposable income, better universities, more diversity without as many problems from diversity, and far more economic opportunity and flexibility (especially for young people). To be fair, being poor and unskilled in the United States is worse than being poor and unskilled in France, so I guess France has that going for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post

Though I seriously have never understood why Americans seem to think the whole world wants to be like them, when the rest of the world just rolls its eyes at them and their absurd "patriotism", I mean its cute and all, but really.....
    Don't worry cupcake, we're rolling our eyes right back at you.

Think I'd give it a miss, sorry

On the other hand, there are a lot of young Norwegians who'd say "YES!" because they think America = Los Angeles/NY and they even want to work there and all I can think is "...why?" :| I'm pretty sure they woundn't even call it "Los Angeles", but "LA", as if they're familiar with the city already. And pensioners buying houses in Florida, they'd likely say yes too

Also, metric system and celcius. It can't be that hard?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

I think I will stick with my (almost) free health insurance, and (almost) free studies/university.
    I think I'll have to stay with mine too
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    Don't worry cupcake, we're rolling our eyes right back at you.
    I wonder if they will be changing their tune after another 10 years of unchecked "refugee" migration.

Quote Originally Posted by Faenskap View Post
    Think I'd give it a miss, sorry

On the other hand, there are a lot of young Norwegians who'd say "YES!" because they think America = Los Angeles/NY and they even want to work there and all I can think is "...why?" :| I'm pretty sure they woundn't even call it "Los Angeles", but "LA", as if they're familiar with the city already. And pensioners buying houses in Florida, they'd likely say yes too

Also, metric system and celcius. It can't be that hard?!
    Norway should probably be the country that should most strongly reject such a notion. Given American approaches to energy and finance, creating a Norwegian state would bleed dry all of the success that Norwegians have had in short order. Hell, I'm American and I'm appalled by screwing Norway like that even in a hypothetical

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I wonder if they will be changing their tune after another 10 years of unchecked "refugee" migration.
    One of two distinct possibilities exists. Either they stop being smug, liberal deuchbags and start standing up for what is left of their culture, or they they will cease to be to be a distinct culture and we'll have to go over there and start killing the people who replaced them. I'm holding out hope for the former, but not much hope.

One of two distinct possibilities exists. Either they stop being smug, liberal deuchbags and start standing up for what is left of their culture, or they they will cease to be to be a distinct culture and we'll have to go over there and start killing the people who replaced them. I'm holding out hope for the former, but not much hope.
    Naaaa, I see it going down like this.

Eu govts begin to raise taxes to provide benefits for an ever growing unskilled labor class that is more than happy to dig back and collect benefits while contributing nothing but crime and strife.

The European rich will begin leaving Europe for greener pastures and lower taxes in places like singapore, Costa rica, and the U.S.

Eu continues to decline into a civil war that the new refugees are more than happy to fight.

Eu govts begin to collapse and ask the American military for help.

The American military arrives and restores order while pushing the opposing, Islamic parisan armies South into Turkey.

America will provide financial aid to rebuild Europe.

Europeans will then begin to call Americans "war mongers" and criticize the harshness that was used to dispel the rebels.

The Eu will then reopen its borders to "refugees" from the war.

Americans will then do a collective facepalm.

This is only a prediction.

Deleted
    Far-right parties are on the rise throughout Europe, also because of the migrant crisis. The pendulum could very well start swinging in the other direction.

Far-right parties are on the rise throughout Europe, also because of the migrant crisis. The pendulum could very well start swinging in the other direction.
    Speaking of Austria, that's a good example of this phenomenon. Hopefully a happy medium on this can be found.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Naaaa, I see it going down like this.

Eu govts begin to raise taxes to provide benefits for an ever growing unskilled labor class that is more than happy to dig back and collect benefits while contributing nothing but crime and strife.

The European rich will begin leaving Europe for greener pastures and lower taxes in places like singapore, Costa rica, and the U.S.

Eu continues to decline into a civil war that the new refugees are more than happy to fight.

Eu govts begin to collapse and ask the American military for help.

The American military arrives and restores order while pushing the opposing, Islamic parisan armies South into Turkey.

America will provide financial aid to rebuild Europe.

Europeans will then begin to call Americans "war mongers" and criticize the harshness that was used to dispel the rebels.

The Eu will then reopen its borders to "refugees" from the war.

Americans will then do a collective facepalm.

This is only a prediction.
    You know, eventually you have to kick your lazy, shithead kid out of your basement and let him experience the real world on his own. It's tough medicine, but it has to be done.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been keeping an eye on it. Europe has a bad track record with populist movements though. I'm hoping there is a way for Europe to stop committing cultural suicide without resorting to genocide. I don't see a clear path towards them doing that though. The far left is so entrenched than nothing short of a populist far-right rebellion will unseat them.

You know, eventually you have to kick your lazy, shithead kid out of your basement and let him experience the real world on his own. It's tough medicine, but it has to be done.
    I'd have more to say, but it would result in a ban.