Page 50 of 128 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I liked it. Nothing grand, but the CGI was cool and overall it was better than I expected.

Comparing Warcraft to LotR is an insult to LotR, as Warcraft's writing and lore isn't anywhere near the same ballpark, more in the area of saturday morning cartoon cheese, or black metal booklets. Of course making a movie that is true to that level of writing will make critics throw rotten tomatoes at it. That's not why some of the fans enjoy it though, they're giddy from recognizing all the stuff from the game.
    Last edited by metzger84; 2016-05-30 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Radeghost View Post
    I have seen this movie, CGI is good, but everything looks fake as hell and really it does resemble some iPhone/Android p2w game ads. Garona is a big joke, well, most of the characters are a joke. It's like they wanted to outdo Lord of the Rings but they've lost their itch to do it when movie was 20% complete and then they just wanted money from tickets.
    I don't think Duncan Jones even believes that they're gonna make next parts of the warcraft movie.

I agree with most of negative reviews.
    Then you've at least given the movie a chance, I may or may not agree with you when I see it but if that's truly what you feel I'm not going to try and change your mind. That's the movie's job to make you like it, not mine, mine's to see it and see if it succeeds for me.

I bet Blizzard (and especially Chris Metzen) would be really embarrassed right about now...

Quote Originally Posted by TyrianFC View Post
    I bet Blizzard (and especially Chris Metzen) would be really embarrassed right about now...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryOwayI8ee0
    He appears to be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Except that there were nearly 7000 people on IMDB that gave it a 10, while only 400 people gave it a one. So it looks like there are a LOT more fans skewing the number there than these "haters" you like to blame for everything.

But hey, don't let things like facts get in the way of what you believe.
    What are you on?

Facts? Fact is what people/audience will say about the movie. If movie critics give low rating, but movie goers say it's nice and enjoyable, than movie critics were wrong, movie critics are just people like us who tell us if they enjoyed or not the movie and what they liked/disliked about it. It's entirely subjective and based on their own impression.

I will watch it and let myself form an opinion. I actually expected bad reviews because the movie is made to be an homage to players, to the game. so for people outside the game, it may come as weird or hard to get.

But the main complaint about videogame movies was always that they went away from the actual game, doing some crazy stupid storyline which had almost nothing to do with the game. This movie actually sticks to its roots, how can i take serious some idiot reviewer who never played the game, has no clue about the style/look of the blizzard Warcraft universe etc..?

watch the movie yourself and decide on it, i would not take reviews serious because of the fact that the movie is faithful to the game, so non fans probably will have a hard time with it or understanding it.

Quote Originally Posted by FilthyDrood View Post
    I think we all expected something like this.

I have not seen the movie yet - not open here, yet. When it opens here I'll give it a chance for sure, but I still have my own speculations.

These reviews though - speak for themselves. Blizzard is still trying to push the movie on their players/fans, I think they're aware of their... mistake.
    I didn't expect one country to be such an outlier to the others, no. Well - maybe if it was china.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    I didn't expect one country to be such an outlier to the others, no. Well - maybe if it was china.
    Not even Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Except that there were nearly 7000 people on IMDB that gave it a 10, while only 400 people gave it a one. So it looks like there are a LOT more fans skewing the number there than these "haters" you like to blame for everything.

But hey, don't let things like facts get in the way of what you believe.
    If you ignore all the 10 rating, you end up with 7.14 score, and if you take out all the 10 and 9 ratings it's 6.32.

If you take out all the 10 and 1 ratings, the score is 7.51.

So even if we remove the potential scores from fans and haters the movies score for now is still decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You know that video is from before the movie opened right?
    Yep,but you would be happy 2 if something you made became a movie.I honestly don't think they are losing their sleep because some critics say the movie is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Darktbs View Post
    He appears to be happy.
    He probably doesn't know yet that his character and half of the set were cut out

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You know that video is from before the movie opened right?

- - - Updated - - -

Canada is included with the US in the North American box office. We rarely see it separately.
    It's not apart of the WoW movie promotion, and I do believe Quebec has a different screen time (June 10th).

Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    NO SPOILERS ALLOWED UNLESS CENSORED.

Disclaimer: Just because the critics gave it a good/bad rating doesn't mean it'll be the same for you.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/warcraft/

10 Rotten Reviews

10 Fresh Reviews

Other Sites:
    Metacritic: 29% SN. They gave WoD a 9/10. Food for the thought.
    IMDb: 9/10
    Kotaku: Not Good
    Can you please change the IMDB rate from 9/10 to 8/10 since 9/10 isnt correct.Thank you.

As I've said before, I'll wait until the movie actually comes out in NA to watch it and judge the movie.

The CG looks amazing, from the trailer, some of the lines look pretty generic, but there does appear to be a lot of emotion in them, so it's not like some high school Romeo and Juliet play.

I think I'll probably be more interested in the orcs. Not because I don't like humans, I'm just not a fan of the human subplot in every 'human vs. Y movie'.

Like in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes I was just waiting for the human scenes to be over so we could get to the apes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    Maybe that's because you went to see it already set to hate it / not like it. I don't expect anyone of the haters to change their minds after actually seeing the damn thing. I prefer to remain neutral until I see it myself, especially since after watching a whole day of normal people reviews on youtube I couldn't find any of it saying that the movie is shit, which is exactly what Rotten Tomatoes would want us to thing at 29%...
    Trust me, i was set to love it. In fact, it was supposed to be the highest point of the whole damn week.

However, the movie didn't really give me much to love. I'm too old for fanservice and seen too much CG to care about it, and there was nothing else at all to care about in there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garthul View Post
    This is one of the first negative audience responses I've read. I can respect that it didn't resonate with you, though I wish there was a bit more detail in your critique.
    Bad acting, bad casting, bad pacing, bad dialogue? What was weak and what was strong about it? That's the main problem I have with the excessively negative critic reviews. They spend half of their review bitching about some pet peeve of theirs that they project onto the film (Hollywood selling out to make a buck, political overtones, etc) and spend very little time giving a proper critique of the film on its own merits, then slap a ludicrously low score on it. Alonso Duralde can blow me, there's no way this movie is a 10/100, he's just a shit critic. I can respect all the critics giving scores in the 40-60 range because their reviews usually have some substance and their score feels like a fair reflection of their final thoughts. Anyone giving a score less than 30 probably made up their mind before they even started the film.
    Fair enough.

The acting was flat. So were all the characters. The story, for all the war, had very little worthwhile conflict in it. There were maybe two conflict-ey scenes i found myself to be even remotely invested in, and that investment had nothing at all to do with the rest of the movie. If anything, they actually contradicted the rest of the movie.

A lot of interesting fanservicey moves, to be sure. For example, the scene with the deer (you know the one if you saw it) was very interesting. However, it also had no in-movie consequences whatsoever. Might as well not have happened at all. So engagement gained, engagement lost.

For a total rewrite of the story of the first half of the First War, it managed to add exactly nothing new or interesting (and lose most of what was interesting in WC2 manual version).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    As I've said before, I'll wait until the movie actually comes out in NA to watch it and judge the movie.

The CG looks amazing, from the trailer, some of the lines look pretty generic, but there does appear to be a lot of emotion in them, so it's not like some high school Romeo and Juliet play.

I think I'll probably be more interested in the orcs. Not because I don't like humans, I'm just not a fan of the human subplot in every 'human vs. Y movie'.

Like in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes I was just waiting for the human scenes to be over so we could get to the apes.
    I felt the opposite after watching all the trailers, CGI felt very cheap. BUT, after seeing the movie, it was a lot better than the trailers. There were a few scenes where it felt very fake, but other than that, it was good.

Overally it was a decent movie, except for some bad acting(Llane, Garona(at times), moments where it felt "fake"(esp stormwind scenes). Character depth was pretty bad as well. But since i went to the movie with really low expectations(from watching trailers), and had a positive feeling, im happy. I would give it a 6/10.

I dont think IMDB's rating atm is fair, since the crowd who has watched it by now are 95% true wow fanboys(even more than 95% at the screening i went to).

I saw it today and it was OK. Certainly the best video game movie made but overall it fell short. I am no good at writing reviews of movies so here some of my thoughts.

They nailed the Orcs, their motivations, presence and emotions. Maybe they were a bit too big and thick but acting wise they done a great job. I really felt for Durotan and Draka and the path Guldan was leading them on.

Unfortunately the same cannot be said about the humans. I felt they were all miscast. None of them had the gravitas to come across as holding positions of authority or great knowledge. I also think the script was weakest during these scenes.

Having only played WoW and not the RTS there were times where I wasn't sure who was who and what was actually happening as they jumped from scene to scene trying to set up all the many moving parts of the movie.

In all a good attempt which ultimately felt a bit messy and disjointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Felnoire View Post
    How about watching first, then looking at the reviews and seeing if you agree with them?
    I think the point of reviews is so that everyone can judge if it's worth it to pay for the ticket. Not so that people can pay first and then see if the reviews were correct.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

I'm gonna watch it and then judge myself. I was told by my friends that it was fun to watch, specially i 3D. So I'll give it a try and check it out on my own, and then form opinion. What critics say doesn't matter to me.

I also have a weird feeling that them being negative is also tied to the fact that this moie is based on game.
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    I think the point of reviews is so that everyone can judge if it's worth it to pay for the ticket. Not so that people can pay first and then see if the reviews were correct.
    That only really works if you happen to know the reviewer and you have the same preferences, which is not always possible. If you and the reviewer tend to agree on everything, then you could put more weight in their view in future reviews. But I still find personal experience wins out, it's just more stimulating to do something.