Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Bill Kristol tweets hint about an "impressive" Third Party Candidate, who will it be?

Bill Kristol of the Weekly Standard tweeted the eminent arrival of a new third party candidate. Can anyone realistically throw their hat in the ring at this point? Or is it the chattering class howling at the wind?

@Billkristol 2PM
    Just a heads up over this holiday weekend: There will be an independent candidate--an impressive one, with a strong team and a real chance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mitt Romney maybe?

If Romney runs as a third party candidate, Hillary will be our next president.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Bernie is the only one who would make a difference, so it's probably him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    If he doesn't take any votes from Hillary maybe.

From this supposed conservative third party candidate's perspective, the disdain for both Hillary and Trump would hopefully allow them to obtain enough votes that neither Hillary nor Trump can achieve 270 electoral college votes. And then the House will pick the president...

If it were Romney, for example... He could probably win Massachusetts away from Hillary... Maybe a couple more small states like NH and he could theoretically prevent either of them from winning. The House would love to vote Romney in if such a scenario played out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    Kristol is a far right guy.
    That candidate runs independent but will be a Republican.

To the other comments, I don't think it's Romney.
    No clue who they could drag out of the woodwork though.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Libertarian party nominated this weekend. They chose Gary Johnson.

Kristol's one of those pundits where if he says the sky is blue you should probably check anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    If he doesn't take any votes from Hillary maybe.

From this supposed conservative third party candidate's perspective, the disdain for both Hillary and Trump would hopefully allow them to obtain enough votes that neither Hillary nor Trump can achieve 270 electoral college votes. And then the House will pick the president...
    That idea, the outcome, has been tossed around already and discarded for the Republican primaries.
    Do you really believe that a house pick that is neither Trump or Hillary would go over peacefully with the voters?
    The people made this pretty clear that they're pissed. If there was a pick that would not reflect the people's will, this would mean a lot of trouble.
    Quite honestly, I would not want to be a congress member in such scenario then.
    No, the idea of fucking the voters over like that, that's a very bad idea.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    That idea, the outcome, has been tossed around already and discarded for the Republican primaries.
    Do you really believe that a house pick that is neither Trump or Hillary would go over peacefully with the voters?
    The people made this pretty clear that they're pissed. If there was a pick that would not reflect the people's will, this would mean a lot of trouble.
    Quite honestly, I would not want to be a congress member in such scenario then.
    No, the idea of fucking the voters over like that, that's a very bad idea.
    Like that hasn't already been happening :P

People are idiots though... They will piss and moan, but they will still elect those guys afterward. They will cry and shout and protest and all that bullshit, but then two years later during the mid term, when they look at their ballot and see the same Republican that has run in their district for 20 years and a no name random Democrat, if someone even tries to compete there... Who are they going to vote for?

Any upstart conservative that challenges the incumbent isn't going to have the money to compete with the establishment.

If it is Bernie then Trump will win in a landslide. Much like if it is Romney as others had said Clinton will cruise to victory.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Libertarian party nominated this weekend. They chose Gary Johnson.
    Same nutbag they picked in 2012, he isn't going to do anything.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Isn't it not possible to get on the ballot for the general election at this point?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    He will just take the anti-Trump vote, IMO.

They are becoming increasingly desperate. It's not a good sign.

But I am glad they have finally revealed their true colors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    If it is Bernie then Trump will win in a landslide.
    If it's only Hillary vs Trump then Trump is going to win in a landslide anyway. Makes little difference.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    If it is Bernie then Trump will win in a landslide. Much like if it is Romney as others had said Clinton will cruise to victory.

- - - Updated - - -

Same nutbag they picked in 2012, he isn't going to do anything.
    While those might be your views on him, I'm solidly sure tweeting about a third party candidate the same weekend that the Libertarians are doing nominations is a solid lead on who he's talking about. I'm like 95% sure he's tweeting about Gary Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    If it's only Hillary vs Trump then Trump is going to win in a landslide anyway. Makes little difference.
    Time will tell, but as disliked as Hillary is Trump is hated by far too many and not supported by enough as it stands now.

10+ Year Old Account
    While those might be your views on him, I'm solidly sure tweeting about a third party candidate the same weekend that the Libertarians are doing nominations is a solid lead on who he's talking about. I'm like 95% sure he's tweeting about Gary Johnson.
    Why would he give a nod to a Green Party candidate? The Green Party is basically 95% the same as the Democratic Party?

The guy hates Trump, so a Green Party candidate can literally only hurt his position by taking votes away from the Democrat running?

He recieved less then 1% of the vote last election in half of the states. The only state he received more then 3% was New Mexico his home state and that was 3.5%. He isn't known by many and to overcome such dismal numbers from his last effort he is going to need some real magic. This very well might be who Bill Kristol is talking about, but it matters little. Johnson is a non factor when it comes to POTUS.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Third-party candidates never get more than 10% of the vote, and at this point far too many are already committed and have made up their minds. Plus my guess is that a third-party candidate would pull pretty equally from both Clinton and Trump so it would be pretty moot. It's more of a conservative talk show topic for the ones like Glenn Beck that are anti-Trump rather than it being a realistic chance to win. The time to do it would have been 6 or 9 months ago when enough people that were willing to consider an Independent candidate (which is already a small subset of voters) were still undecided. Too many people consider themselves red or blue. It's unfortunate really since it leaves us with a fairly rigged exclusive 2-party system, and going against that machine is a major uphill battle.

That would come as a shock! LOL!