View Poll Results: Are you afraid of speaking in front of a big audience?!

Voters
64. This poll is closed
  • Yes

39 60.94%
  • No

25 39.06%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I hate it. I'm physically incapable of it. Even when I'm not that nervous my body reacts like I'm in imminent danger.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

10+ Year Old Account
    I've BSed my way through so many forced presentations in school, that I just don't care anymore.

As long as you look confident, people will just gobble up what you say if they haven't done any research on it themselves.

Yes, I hate it, I'm a very quiet and reserved person so it makes me quite uncomfortable. The college I went to required a small public speaking course to graduate, 45 minute presentation in front of about 10 people, then the company I worked for would make us get up on stage for fun team building activities during national meetings.

I don't mind it so much.

Deleted
    Yes. If I was supposed to do a presentation or something alone in front of the class in school, I would just flat out not do the assignment. With someone else with you it's a lot easier, but alone? Nope the fuck out of there. Can't even imagine what it would be like to address a group of 500 or 5000. Spaghetti would most likely burst out of my pockets while I stuttered in the mic and eventually just leave the place and never return.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Are there seriously people that aren't? It isn't that you stop being scared, it's just that you get better at handling it.
    Of course there are. Fear only exists when you consciously think about a bad outcome, focus on it; if you don't think about it, then fear is nowhere to be found. That's pretty much what people are taught on acting courses: "Focus on what you are doing and not on who is watching you" - with certain exercises and warm-ups, you can get to the state in which you just act and do not think about any fears at all; do that enough, and you don't need warm-ups any more. Some people get to it naturally.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate it. I avoid it at almost any cost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I can't do it. I physically can't manage it.

depends. I haven't spoken in front of the large audience in a very long time, but back in highschool I did a lot of on stage stuff and my anxiety was directly proportionate to how many people I could actualy see. when the light is on the stage and the rest of the room is dark - it was much easier for me to relax and just go with it. same when it comes to something like talking on the radio (which I did a short stint in - just local stuff, but still). now... speaking in front of a bunch of people whose faces I can see clearly and who are looking at me all at once? yeah... would take me a few seconds to compose myself and the entire time my knees would be shaking, my heart would be racing and once I'd be done, I would pretty much need a few minutes to get down from adrenaline rush

10+ Year Old Account
    Not spoken to a group larger than 25 and all of those in attendance I knew, however if it was a group of strangers I would get all nervous and fluster myself.

I try to avoid it, but if I have to... I deal with it.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I assume if its that many people there's a nice check with it...

If its something that I know about. Easy. Not some much then eh. I"ll make it through.

All you do is give me the topic. Let me a couple minutes to get three points in my head. Tell you what I'm going to tell you. Tell you. Then tell you what I told you.

Its that easy.

Speech in minutes.

1) Tell you that I'm going to talk about point A, B, C.
    2) Tell you about A then B then C
    3) Tell you what I told you about A, B, and C in summary.

Pfft. When and what topic?

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on what you define as afraid. It is normal to feel butterflies and be nervous. But if it keeps you from speaking in front of a large crowd, then that is letting those feelings control you. I have spoke in front of more than 100 at a time. Was nervous, but I did the speech and after a few seconds the uneasiness went away.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arberian View Post
    Do you like speaking in front of a big audience (for example 100 - 1million people)?! Does the confrontation with the public cause your fear, anxiety or negative emotions?!

I'd like to know also your reasons why you like/dislike having a speech in front of a big audience.

Thank you for the support in advance!
    Very. I think everyone is to some degree. You're always nervous before and if it goes well you warm up to it.

Deleted
    Im not affraid, but my body still goes into panic mode, making me shake like a leaf and I cant get enough oxygen when I breathe, basicly a panic attack I guess. This happens even when I speak infront of friends at times aswell, and its not like Im affraid to speak infront of my mates! Same thing when I have to speak in class, I have to get a bit drunk before giving a presentation to calm down my nerves.

To develop public speaking skills, and get over that fear, of standing up in front of an audience, join Toastermasters International. It's free, it's everywhere, and that's what it's for.

https://www.toastmasters.org

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Are there seriously people that aren't? It isn't that you stop being scared, it's just that you get better at handling it.
    It is interesting to see how it works. I was shitting bricks when I was best man last year. It went well and I was OK once I started it but beforehand it bothered me more than it should have. A lot of this is because I didn't want to ruin the bridge and grooms big day-on my own wedding I was much more relaxed.

I talk to much larger numbers of people regularly on youtube. That doesn't stress me out at all, which makes no sense. The lack of the audience's presence probably has some effect.

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Having severe anxiety and socialphobia speaking in front of even a couple of people I do not know well scares the crap out of me. When I was playing WoW still I hardly even talked in Vent for a few months are I joined a progression raiding guild, and that was several years ago before my condition worsened. Now if I had to be on coms at all I would probably never say a word. Also part of the reason it was years before I even made an account here on MMO Champ and why I don't post normally unless it is something that greatly interests me.

Considering I wear yoga pants or a thong when I make a speech. I'm always so relaxed.

Yeah. I tried to do the "pretend they are in their underwear trick" but I'm american. The sight of 100+ obese people in their underwear was... not pleasant.