Quote Originally Posted by Birgwow View Post
    What? I think Duncan himself said that Garona is half orc, half human in the movie? Also afaik Aegwynn was the guardian for 500 years. Bet she didn't look like 500 years old (a skeleton) when she died.
    Yes, but that's because she used her magic to make herself immortal. That's not the case with Medivh, he's young.

Anyway, garona probably wouldn't understand Draenei language if she were half human.

10+ Year Old Account
    What? I think Duncan himself said that Garona is half orc, half human in the movie? Also afaik Aegwynn was the guardian for 500 years. Bet she didn't look like 500 years old (a skeleton) when she died.
    Well Garona was orc/human in WC1, then with more info added we find out she's actually orc/draenei, I bet they want to go the same route with the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Edit: Actually, Fellowship of the Ring is complicated shit. I mean, look at the cast list! I even have a friend who's not a fan of fantasy who watched the whole trilogy and said he was really, really confused by it. I'm starting to realize how that may be the case, with people thinking Warcraft's 10 characters is a lot.
    LotR is established in pop culture for a long time. As long as you don't fuck up with established things it's almost going to be seen as close to perfection.

In other news:
    ~450k tickets in Germany from may 26-30. About 5.2 million Euros. The german market isn't the biggest, might end up with around 2 million tickets around here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    Also, let's all be frank here, George R.R. Martin did not invent the idea of undead and necromancers. This stuff ancient: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich..._Demonic_Magic
    Good old Lovecraft is probably among the first to have dabbled in such fantasy elements.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2016-05-30 at 11:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    No, this is specifically relating to the Lich King.
    You do know that Sauron has an alternate name called the Necromancer right? If anything, the Lich King would be more considered an inspiration of that than the Night's King and the White Walkers, since JRR Tolkien's books actually came first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
    LotR is established in pop culture for a long time. As long as you don't fuck up with established things it's almost going to be seen as close to perfection.
    Well, was it really that established before the movies came? Was it being written by a British dude 50 years prior enough to let critics not have diarrhea all over the trilogy?

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    Yes, but that's because she used her magic to make herself immortal. That's not the case with Medivh, he's young.

Anyway, garona probably wouldn't understand Draenei language if she were half human.
    The scene in the beginning definitely made me think of her half-draenei origins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sweter View Post
    Ah, nah. I wouldn't read it like that. I'm not sure if I remember correctly, but in one of the books there's a mention of long lost romance of Medivh.

In any case, this would put Med'an, son of Medivh and Garona in the game/comic lore, in a weird spot.. :P But he has no chance of appearing in any of the movies ever, though.
    Let's hope that character never shows his face in any WarCraft related stuff ever.

Okay, I must've read too much into it. If they're supposed to have a child together I digress. Apparently the director's cut will show how she's half-human though
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    Why not? She's lived on that planet as a slave she could've communicated with the Draenei slaves. Also, if she's gonna be revealed as a half-draenei I think it's weird for her to be looking like a human.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    Well Garona was orc/human in WC1, then with more info added we find out she's actually orc/draenei, I bet they want to go the same route with the movies.
    Ye but if she's gonna be revealed as a half-draenei I think it's weird for her to be looking like a human. Doubt they'll change it but we'll see when the director's cut is released

Deleted
    Ye but if she's gonna be revealed as a half-draenei I think it's weird for her to be looking like a human. Doubt they'll change it but we'll see when the director's cut is released
    It's because the female draenei are way more frail than the female orcs. The wierd combination made Garona look almost like a human.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Well, was it really that established before the movies came? Was it being written by a British dude 50 years prior enough to let critics not have diarrhea all over the trilogy?
    Even Tolkien himself never saw the cult generated around his books in the late 50s, early 60s.

Adorable stretch. We're talking about the leader of an army of the undead who comes from the frozen north to wipeout the living...
    Right back at ye.

10+ Year Old Account
    Somewhat dissapointed with the movie. My friends who doesn't really follow the lore liked it a lot, but there were quite a few parts that just annoyed me.

It's a good movie, but not one of those "can't wait to see it again!" types.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    It's because the female draenei are way more frail than the female orcs. The wierd combination made Garona look almost like a human.
    Changing her to half-draenei would most likely confuse a lot of the audience though. Atleast in the game she looks like an orc more than a human. In the movie I'd argue she looks more like a human than an orc.

Deleted
    Changing her to half-draenei would most likely confuse a lot of the audience though. Atleast in the game she looks like an orc more than a human. In the movie I'd argue she looks more like a human than an orc.
    It's not changing, it's what she is in lore and how the chinese promoted the movie.

The game uses a generic female orc model with magic tattoos, which is wrong, her face should be more draenei like.

Anyway, what's the discussion about "ice undead"? No one invented anything, the Draugr are right from the Norse mythology.
    Last edited by mmoc516e31a976; 2016-05-30 at 11:18 PM.

Adorable stretch. We're talking about the leader of an army of the undead who comes from the frozen north to wipeout the living...
    How is that in any way a unique character?

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Somewhat dissapointed with the movie. My friends who doesn't really follow the lore liked it a lot, but there were quite a few parts that just annoyed me.

It's a good movie, but not one of those "can't wait to see it again!" types.
    What didn't you like about it? I thought it was fantastic!

As Tauror said, people barely invent stuff anyway: most of it comes from mythology. A bunch of Tolkien's stuff comes from Norse mythology, for example.

The Lich King has always been for me a reference to the Witch King of Angmar much more than the Night's King, including the helmet and the name.

Don't remember it in anything before GoT and then, subsequently, Warcraft. Much like they ripped off C&C they have always taken the best of what is already out there and incoporating it into their products.
    I'm not arguing if they ripped it or not because I don't know enough about GoT but if you look at what the Lich King is he has very basic characteristics aside from his backstory. Necromancy isn't something new. Frost and frozen lands are often associated with the absence of life (death). Putting the two together is pretty natural.

Deleted
    Much like they ripped off C&C they have always taken the best of what is already out there and incoporating it into their products.
    Now you are entering on a field clearly don't know nothing about. Warcraft I came before Westwood's Command & Conquer. Yes, it got the RTS concept from Dune II, but it went on a different way right with Orcs & Humans (Dune's one unit control vs. Warcraft's 4/6 units). Warcraft II and C&C came around the same time and they were two different RTS monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    It's not changing, it's what she is in lore and how the chinese promoted the movie.

The game uses a generic female orc model with magic tattoos, which is wrong, her face should be more draenei like.

Anyway, what's the discussion about "ice undead"? No one invented anything, the Draugr are right from the Norse mythology.

Which was invented by a person ... no ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
    As Tauror said, people barely invent stuff anyway: most of it comes from mythology. A bunch of Tolkien's stuff comes from Norse mythology, for example.

The Lich King has always been for me a reference to the Witch King of Angmar much more than the Night's King, including the helmet and the name.
    mythology Is still made up stuff that came from someone at some point