Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    OP you are scared of dogs. You should look up "exposure therapy", it is what therapists generally recommend for individuals with phobias.

The problem is you, not the dogs. Unless you live in some terrible neighborhood where all of the dogs you walk by are poorly trained attack dogs...which I very highly doubt...sounds to me like you're making the dogs nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Yes, but engineered to be smart. Not engineered to be a shrunken, mentally deficient ball of fluff that can conveniently fit in a purse.

Completely agreed on the owner aspect, but here on the west coast of Canada we tend to have pretty good dog owners.
    Actually, those "mentally deficient" balls of fluff can be pretty damned smart. I don't see the reason to blame the dogs for something that humans bring out/fail to bring out in them due to laziness and lack of interest.

/did obedience with a pomeranian.

10+ Year Old Account
    they must sense how much of a nervous beta you are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Actually, those "mentally deficient" balls of fluff can be pretty damned smart. I don't see the reason to blame the dogs for something that humans bring out/fail to bring out in them due to laziness and lack of interest.

/did obedience with a pomeranian.
    Pocket breeds have been sown many times to have vastly inferior intelligence to herding breeds like Australian Shepherds and Border Collies. Not really arguing with you, but it's fairly well documented that breeding to get pocket sized dogs causes a really large array of mental and health problems for them (I think the dog in the video wasn't a Pomeranian puppy but a full-grown pocket Pomeranian).

Pocket breeds are actually kind of just another example of humans not caring much for the quality of life of the things they create.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2016-05-30 at 11:37 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    So I might've posted many months ago before about an unpleasant owner and his two big ass dogs, but now I've had enough of this shit. To make this short: Where I jog or go walk for breakfast, it's dog central. Everyone pretty much has a dog. Now the little puppers like chihuahuas and pomeranians will never bug you, they just wanna play or they're being held and not walked. Never had any issue ever. However, every fuckin time with big dogs it boils down to them suddenly staring my way, frozen in place while their owner is too busy fuckin jerking off. If you walk by them even slightly hesitantly, they WILL growl at you or bark at worst. I've never been attacked yet but a lot of the time the owner is like "no, bad dog!" or "sorry, he's just nervous."

Like fuck off I'm so tired of this shit of being scared to walk down my own goddamn lane. A lot of these "dogs" don't even look like dogs they look like goddamn wolves if they're not pitbulls because god knows why they're allowed to roam free. And I'm paranoid these big dogs are just out to get ME because I see them interact with the little doggies and they never get violent. I saw said pitbull looking at me suspiciously have fun with a passing by Yorkie for example...which is how I snuck by when he was distracted.
    sounds like you are socially dumb with dogs. stop staring at them weirdo, that's a challenge, think about how you look to them compared to other people

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Pocket breeds have been sown many times to have vastly inferior intelligence to herding breeds like Australian Shepherds and Border Collies. Not really arguing with you, but it's fairly well documented that breeding to get pocket sized dogs causes a really large array of mental and health problems for them (I think the dog in the video wasn't a Pomeranian puppy but a full-grown pocket Pomeranian).
    To be frank, those tests usually go by how trainable a dog is. The "stupid" races on those lists, are usually just very independent by selective breeding thanks to their historical tasks, and require more motivation to train and handle.

I'm not one for the "teacup" breeding within breeds that are already small enough and shit like that, but I've never met a small dog that didn't respond to training. We don't get many "teacup" varieties here, thank Dog.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2016-05-30 at 11:36 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    they must sense how much of a nervous beta you are.
    Nervous betas are protected by law in just about every state in the US if not in all. Anyone who lets their dogs run loose with disregard for others is not only violating the law here, but is also irresponsible and in a lot of cases, are the same people who should not have children.

The dogs sense your beta level and deem you unfit for their pack. So naturally, they don't want you near them or their owners.

Dogs can be jerks sometimes.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

I can totally understand you got the dog at #4 and the Human at #2 and there probably has to be some mosquitos nearby.

10+ Year Old Account
    "huge" being keyword. Aka, you make the wrong fucking step and they can rip your throat out. Now the friendliness aside, if it were a little dog that was pissed for some reason, what'd he/she do? They'd nibble your legs at worst. Which is why I don't fear those dogs.
    They're barking at you because you're scared of them. They can smell it. Just ignore them.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

We have a small dog. Currently, she keeps chewing everything in the house, as of late, she's been chewing the corners of our walls. We keep giving her bones and toys, but she keeps resorting to chewing other things. When we put up our things, she goes for the walls of our house. I'm pretty damn close to getting rid of her. When I catch her chewing the wall, I go and give her a bone and tell her chewing the wall is bad.

Im not sure what else to do at this point.
    Yes, I draw my own avatars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demona3 View Post
    We have a small dog. Currently, she keeps chewing everything in the house, as of late, she's been chewing the corners of our walls. We keep giving her bones and toys, but she keeps resorting to chewing other things. When we put up our things, she goes for the walls of our house. I'm pretty damn close to getting rid of her. When I catch her chewing the wall, I go and give her a bone and tell her chewing the wall is bad.

Im not sure what else to do at this point.
    Crate train her.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by stomination View Post

I can totally understand you got the dog at #4 and the Human at #2 and there probably has to be some mosquitos nearby.
    This list is missing the stingray that got Irwin....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    Crate train her.
    She is crate trained. We do use it.
    Yes, I draw my own avatars.

Deleted
    So I might've posted many months ago before about an unpleasant owner and his two big ass dogs, but now I've had enough of this shit. To make this short: Where I jog or go walk for breakfast, it's dog central. Everyone pretty much has a dog. Now the little puppers like chihuahuas and pomeranians will never bug you, they just wanna play or they're being held and not walked. Never had any issue ever. However, every fuckin time with big dogs it boils down to them suddenly staring my way, frozen in place while their owner is too busy fuckin jerking off. If you walk by them even slightly hesitantly, they WILL growl at you or bark at worst. I've never been attacked yet but a lot of the time the owner is like "no, bad dog!" or "sorry, he's just nervous."

Like fuck off I'm so tired of this shit of being scared to walk down my own goddamn lane. A lot of these "dogs" don't even look like dogs they look like goddamn wolves if they're not pitbulls because god knows why they're allowed to roam free. And I'm paranoid these big dogs are just out to get ME because I see them interact with the little doggies and they never get violent. I saw said pitbull looking at me suspiciously have fun with a passing by Yorkie for example...which is how I snuck by when he was distracted.
    Wait so you got dogs growling at you and owners jerking off? I'd be more scared of the latter tbh....

10+ Year Old Account
    My experience is the total opposite, it's usually the small dogs that are barking at you while the big ones are much calmer.

7+ Year Old Account
    As soon as they growl - they need to be taken away to another room as punishment. You'll sit down, relax, be normal. The handler will bring the dog back into the room... if they start growling it's back to another room and repeat. Keep some treats in hand to reward them when they stop growling or barking and to let them know you're good.

- That owner needs to take control of their dogs, right now the dogs are being dominate and taking over!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandraudiga View Post
    Sounds like you are the problem, not the dogs.
    Some people should not have dogs, and some dogs should be put down.
    Mother pus bucket!

Animals can sense and see your fear / negative emotions much better than any Human. You seem to have either a Phobia of larger dogs or have had an experience that scared you a lot at the time.

Don't blame them, they aren't the issue. Plus, you even said nothing ever happens.

It is alright if you aren't a fan of animals or "big dogs", that is your right. But when you go out into the public world you honestly have no right to complain about people or their pets unless they are actually hurting you or seriously posing a threat.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    People in this thread has already nailed the most likely reason for the behaviour of the dogs towards you.
    Dogs are highly intuitive in many ways, especially when it comes down to nervous, scared or angry people. Many smaller races do not pick up on these traits as much, as they are often very nervous themselves and will act in a dominating fashion just in case. Big dogs however often react the way you describe, they become uncomfortable and scared or feel like they must protect themselves or their owner, if they feel like you are angry or annoyed with them, they WILL pick up on it. This is generally the accepted norm, but is of course not always the case. Dogs can be unstable, traumatized and generally fubar aswell.

If the dogs become that nervous around you when you run past them, try slowing down? I dunno. I wouldnt bother trying to interact with them at this point however if this is something that has been going on for some time. Suck it up and try to get over your fear of big dogs, isnt easy, but doable. (I was terrified of bigger breeds for years when younger).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Demona3 View Post
    She is crate trained. We do use it.
    When you can't directly supervise her, keep her in her crate. Chewing the walls sounds like a nervous thing.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama