Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Honest review of Warcraft *spoilers*

Ok, I watched the movie yesterday and was throughly enjoying the beginning but as the story developed it got more and more clear that they were not following the lore what so ever, and as a lore buff this annoyed me more than it prolly should have.

But other than that everything looked great the orcs especially, the CGI eyes was abit wierd but hey they made it work in the story.

So if you dont really care about the lore and just want to see some of the known warcraft characters doing some awesome stuff, this movie is deff for you.

Also i listened to alot of the people going out of the cinema, and i didnt hear a single negative comment, i dont figure most of them being hardcore wow/warcraft players.

TLR.

Doesnt follow lore, if you dont care about lore you are gonna enjoy the movie.

Pretty much like "if you did not like the books, you will like the movie" for other franchises. *cough cough Hunger Games and Harry Potter (only ones I could think of off the top of my head) cough cough*

I agree. It doesn't follow the lore exactly BUT it keeps the same general idea.

"Gul'dan is the bad guy, fel is bad. Durotan is good/thrall is being "captured by humans". Garona is forced to kill King Llane but not by the shadow councils but it will lead to a hatred towards the Orcs anyway.

I guess if you're really a lore fan, it might irritate you. I am not (because I don't think it's that bad of a change) but anyway, the movie was great to see.

- - - Updated - - -

Also we see our strongest ennemy in the river at the beginning of the film... his roar was so petrifying... ! grwlrlwrlwrlwrl !

(also baby thrall is so cute)

Homophobia is so gay.

I watched the movie yesterday .. I was disappointed tbh.

Not only lore wise, the story telling wasn't that good, the dialogues wasn't powerful ..

The most annoying things I found the change of Doomhammer, the Killing of Black Hand, and of course Guldan being known to the horde as the main leader!

They could have done it better.

CGI and visual effects were extremely good, sound and music are good too.

Overall I give it 4/10.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Saw it yesterday.

I was very, very entertained. I thought it to be really brilliant, as in 8/10. There were a few things that bothered me, such as the complete downplay of Orgrim, I mean, the guy is pretty pointless. Lothar seemed a bit off, he was too quirky really. Medivh could've used a few more scenes, as his character needed a bit of fleshing out, but that's about it.

It does follow the lore though, as in basically everything that is supposed to happen in Warcraft 1, happens. Sure, it doesn't happen in the exact same way, but it does happen.

Also, as a long time fan, I very much enjoyed some of the fan services; like the murloc, polymorph and being able to spot Grommash, Kilrogg and Kargath amonst the Horde. And Daniel Wu did an amazing job as Gul'dan.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Saw it yesterday.

I was very, very entertained. I thought it to be really brilliant, as in 8/10. There were a few things that bothered me, such as the complete downplay of Orgrim, I mean, the guy is pretty pointless. Lothar seemed a bit off, he was too quirky really. Medivh could've used a few more scenes, as his character needed a bit of fleshing out, but that's about it.

It does follow the lore though, as in basically everything that is supposed to happen in Warcraft 1, happens. Sure, it doesn't happen in the exact same way, but it does happen.

Also, as a long time fan, I very much enjoyed some of the fan services; like the murloc, polymorph and being able to spot Grommash, Kilrogg and Kargath amonst the Horde. And Daniel Wu did an amazing job as Gul'dan.
    I never even noticed them, what scene ?

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Venedia View Post
    You see Kilrogg at the end, side-by-side with Grommash, I think it's the point where they carry Llanes body? Kargath you see once the portal to Stormwind closes down, he's on the other side.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    Pretty much like "if you did not like the books, you will like the movie" for other franchises. *cough cough Hunger Games and Harry Potter (only ones I could think of off the top of my head) cough cough*
    I thought Harry Potter was pretty a pretty good adaptation of the books. Warcraft I expect to be more like Marvel movies with alternative retellings of the old stories.

Deleted
    I think i remember kargath now that you mention it, i will have to look for grommash and kilrogg once its online

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    I thought Harry Potter was pretty a pretty good adaptation of the books. Warcraft I expect to be more like Marvel movies with alternative retellings of the old stories.
    Harry Potter was alright. The comparison I should have made was to the amazingly awful Hobbit trilogy. A forty minute animated version was more true to the book than the three two hour and some odd minutes long each movies...

With all due respect, "It didn't follow the lore" really doesn't provide a helpful review of the movie. I mean, you could tell that from the trailers; Durotan was on Azeroth. That didn't happen in the actual lore story. Still, the original Warcraft 1 story was very sparse and not well built for a movie, they would have either made the movie suffer or adjusted the lore, and as frequently as Blizzard retcons this doesn't bother me much.

I'd rather know about the flaws (of which this movie clearly has many) and how well the story is told. I'm worried this is just going to be a warcraft-flavored generic fantasy action flick, and that would be disappointing (but not entirely unexpected).
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2016-05-27 at 05:26 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    With all due respect, "It didn't follow the lore" really doesn't provide a helpful review of the movie. I mean, you could tell that from the trailers; Durotan was on Azeroth. That didn't happen in the actual lore story. Still, the original Warcraft 1 story was very sparse and not well built for a movie, they would have either made the movie suffer or adjusted the lore, and as frequently as Blizzard retcons this doesn't bother me much.

I'd rather know about the flaws (of which this movie clearly has many) and how well the story is told. I'm worried this is just going to be a warcraft-flavored generic fantasy action flick, and that would be disappointing (but not entirely unexpected).
    Ok, fair enough.

I will try to list as many as i can remember.

- Garona mindcontrol = Not a thing
    - Khadgar is forever young = no medivh youth sucking
    - Aldoi or w/e it was called = a giant box in dalaran which just exists to give exposition.
    - Sargeras in medivh = not a thing but he is fel corrupted instead.
    - Garona killing king Llane at the dark portal while they zerg the orc = just wtf.
    - durotan on azeroth.
    - Ogrim = doing nothing
    - Blackhand killed by lothar somehow.

There is more, i just cant think of them as of this moment

Deleted
    We actually can't be sure of it. Imo, when Medhiv is transforming itself as a demon, i'm almost sure that's Sargeras taking a physical form out of his body.

- Ogrim = doing nothing
    Doing a lot of things, but not exactly what he should lorewise.

Deleted
    I thought it was good! Pretty hard for people not familiar with Warcraft to understand who the people in the movie are though.

Ok, fair enough.

- Aldoi or w/e it was called = a giant box in dalaran which just exists to give exposition.
    - Garona killing king Llane at the dark portal while they zerg the orc = just wtf.
    - durotan on azeroth.
    - Ogrim = doing nothing

Wow. Yeah, I can see why you specifically pointed out that it's not following lore. It's starting to sound like they would have been better off if they just stuck with the simple original Warcraft story now.

I didn't really mean that I wanted spoilers, but I'm not upset or blaming you. I meant more as to the problems with the movie than the problems with the lore. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post

I would suspect most of the lore nuts are referring to the books, versus just the dialog popups in the 1st RTS game. As a book reader, I prefer the reviewer to at least mention there are differences, or big differences, if even they don't go into detail. Helps me to lower my expectation (regarding the lore), or at least attempt to make a mental reset understanding beforehand that the lore is being altered or retcon'ed.

Otherwise, I would agree, I would like to know about acting/writing/story/pacing/effects, etc, etc. I guess I'm trying to say I don't think it's an either/or, but can contain all of those things.

Ok, I watched the movie yesterday and was throughly enjoying the beginning but as the story developed it got more and more clear that they were not following the lore what so ever, and as a lore buff this annoyed me more than it prolly should have.

But other than that everything looked great the orcs especially, the CGI eyes was abit wierd but hey they made it work in the story.

So if you dont really care about the lore and just want to see some of the known warcraft characters doing some awesome stuff, this movie is deff for you.

Also i listened to alot of the people going out of the cinema, and i didnt hear a single negative comment, i dont figure most of them being hardcore wow/warcraft players.

TLR.

Doesnt follow lore, if you dont care about lore you are gonna enjoy the movie.
    how are ppl seeing the movie?

Quote Originally Posted by RedGamer030 View Post
    The first Potter movie was true to the book, but then the book was short, and capable of being fitted into a lengthy movie. The 2nd had distinctive changes, such as the urinals moving to reveal the opening into the Chamber of Secrets, not the sink drain expanding into a passage (as described in the book). Sequel books were too long, so shortcuts taken /sigh - I'd rather have a 3-4 hour movie honestly than a chopped one.

In this case, I believe the OP is saying the lore was modified, which is more drastic than a few details, or omissions from the original. Rewriting what is known, generally fares for the worst, especially when a fan base is involved.
    Last edited by Vineri; 2016-05-31 at 05:09 AM.

Ok, fair enough.

- durotan on azeroth.
    - Ogrim = doing nothing

1.They didn't zerg the orc. Orcs were slaughtering humans left and right after they got reinforcements from the Draenor,when the portal opened.
    2.And what makes you think,that Durotan didn't appear in the Azeroth?In the lore,they walked through the portal with the other clans,though they were exiled shortly afterwards.
    3.Orgrim saved Draka and Thrall and stood by the Durotan,when he challenged Gul'dan to Mak'gora,afterwards taunting the Gul'dan for being a coward,who fights against the rules of Mak'gora.Not sure if he was "doing nothing".
    4.Not somehow,but after he challenged the Lothar to Mak'gora.The main difference is that in the lore he was killed by Orgrim,but in current disposition it made sense,since Lothar came after his kings body and Blackhand denied him that chance,by grasping gryphons leg and challenging Lothar to Mak'gora.

Deleted
    Did you watch the same movie?

Grommash was there preety much all the time, standing by next to the chiefs and in the end he was also the 1st one to cheer at Garona. During the confrontation at Blackrock Mountain we even seen him fight for a bit and then grind his teeth at Callan, just before Blackhand came in and killed the little dude.
    Kargath was shown towards the end.
    Kilrogg... well that one i missed too.

Aldoi or w/e it was called = a giant box in dalaran which just exists to give exposition.
    From someone who claims to be a lore-buff i would expect this to look like:
    - Alodi being a female
    Last edited by mmocda667d9fcc; 2016-05-31 at 05:15 AM.