Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I play her all the time. Awesome at defense, like others have said. I've def been a noticeable factor in winning games on defense and she can be super fun if you have enough time to setup your turrets well.

Make sure shields are always up on everyone (pretty easy) and put the turrets up above players (to help avoid dying from regular gunfire). I like to use upper corners in smaller buildings or in odd places that aren't out in the open.

She can be really fun; however I do kind of hate her weapon. The charge up shot seems like it could use a little buff and you have to be pretty close for the other and it takes a couple seconds before it gets good.

After playing her for a while now, the only thing I'd actually like to see is the charge up shot buffed a little. Either it charges faster, is bigger, or does more dmg. Pref it charges faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Kheirn View Post
    Wait what? I'm autistic, definitely not retarded and Symmetra is definitely not poking fun at autistic people.
    Last I'll say on this: aren't autism and retardation the same thing? Given how people mock and generalize them both, figured that way. I just don't see why Blizzard would be so bold but then again, Fallout explicitly made fun of retarded people in earlier installments.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    Also I just found her character to be poking fun at autistic (retarded) people which is pretty controversial on a lot of OW boards but I just find it interesting.
    Really? Pretty much all feedback I've seen about her being on the autism spectrum has been positive rather than negative, so I'm wondering where you've been browsing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Last I'll say on this: aren't autism and retardation the same thing? Given how people mock and generalize them both, figured that way. I just don't see why Blizzard would be so bold but then again, Fallout explicitly made fun of retarded people in earlier installments.
    They are absolutely not the same thing. Yes, Symmetra does show signs of autistic traits, and she's also seen to be compassionate and caring, even if she can't understand how the people living in the slums could want to continue living in that way. This sign of compassion is actually something that the (often mocking) generalization of autism lacks, as autistic people are sadly often seen as cold emotionless robots. I can definitely relate to Symmetra and her struggles to relate to the people in the slums, yet clearly she understands that even though what she sees as the right thing to do it might not be what they wish for.

Her character does in no way mock autistic people. I actually find the reverse to be true, if she even is autistic at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz
    Holes means you have less of a food to plate ratio, you can get more net weight of pancakes into the same volume and area as you could with waffles. Therefore pancakes win.

Quote Originally Posted by Malenky View Post
    I generally only take her on defence, and only on some maps AND only sometimes for the first defence point. If the other team are somewhat coordinated, they're going to destroy your teleporter, and if that happens, you may as well be playing lucio. A good Symmetra can definitely do work (I've seen a few pushing really far in with the right team setup), but generally she is only useful in specific situations.
    thats the point you get increasingly imaginative with teleport locations or make sure YOUR team coordinate to keep it safe.

This just shows your ignorance and lack of knowledge to the subject making it quite funny you would even bring it up in your OP at all...

Basically you want to have a go at Blizz, but have no idea what you want to have a go at them about, so took a stab in the dark at the autism route... lol
    Last edited by Zelendria; 2016-05-31 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNeverLucky View Post
    Symmetra is insane at the start of a defense. The teleport device won me many games and the drones are killers if positionated correctly.
    Even if they don't do insane damage, the drones deal damage constantly and make chaos of enemies that are attacking your team mates.
    The only things that are bad are the second fire of the pistol, it's too slow and does low damage and the shield that's pretty useless.
    The strength of the orb is in how slow it is and the fact it moves through shields. it does 25 - 125 depending on charge and hurts on sustained touch. It forces people to avoid it for a prolonged period. Plus spamming it turns the battle into a game of mario for the enemy.

The shield is more useful than you think (though they really should not have nerfed it). A lot of players depend on scratch damage and the shields mitigate that. They also regen no matter your hp which is insanely useful for cover fire players. Plus regular heals regen the shield, meaning team ups with Lucio will result in your team taking even less damage to their actual HP
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2016-05-31 at 10:20 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Symmetra is an easy character to know how she plays, but I think hard to be good at ... I have seen some people pick Symmetra who don't shield people and if they put a turret up it is out in the open easily seen from a distance. I tend to hid them along routes of where enemies will come from.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Absolutely nothing about her implies any form of humor or mockery in any manner or function. She is THEE most no nonsense character in the game. Even her "joke" against Torbjorn is actually just a straight analytical insult where the only humor to be found is from him and his response, not even herself.

So given that, her existence doesn't poke fun at people with autism if she is infact a high functioning savant rather than"just" a prodigy.

If anything. it would be a positive representation.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2016-05-31 at 10:34 AM.

She is usually my go-to pick when I'm defending. I can usually find a good spot for my turrets and ambush people. Very aggressive playstyle, and if the opponent team actually spends time switching to winston/dva/roadhog just to chase me, that's a bonus because then they are not supporting others who are trying to push the objective.

In my eyes she is more like torbjorn than a support, but with a better chance in 1v1 without the turret(s). If you're great at movement in close range, you can 1v1 other supports, reaper, genji, sometimes even snipers.

Easy to get play of the game if you're not countered. Playing against a Winston who's focusing you is a nightmare.

Deleted
    I try to play Symmetra any setup which allows it, she's a very powerful answer to reinhardt main pushes and can hurt people really bad with well placed sentries. The shield HP she adds onto people is also constantly being regenerated, which means a ton on lighter heroes like Genji and Tracer (it's why it had to be nerfed hard, she enabled a very high flanker ratio).

Cool tip: Her primary fire can actually charge up it's effect on Mei's icewall, meaning an enemy Mei can make you far more dangerous for her own team.

Overwatch is about area denial. Symmetra is actually quite strong at area denial in confined spaces. In practice the confined spaces are typically alternate paths to the objective. Due to this she's reliant on having teammates who can deny the main path. In Quick Match Symmetra will frequently end up in games where the enemy team is able to avoid alternate paths (and her) entirely because her team are unable to cover the main path. Unreliable teammates seems to affect Symmetra more than other Heroes.

It feels like a banal thing to point out, but Symmetra's strength goes up considerably if she has a teammate with her who can stand safely in her area and shell another area with his weapon. Both players should notice a good power increase if this is done correctly. I've had some incredible defenses as Symmetra, so I'm not convinced she's underpowered. She could use better indication in order to tell which teammates have Photon Shield and not, and sometimes her beam feels a bit short.

Half the problem is that in a random game, most team mates see support role filled and choose everything else. She really needs a second heal orientated support.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to think she was just useful for the teleport.. Then I started playing her. She does a fuck ton of damage if people don't pay attention. I've been in situations where I'm 3v1 and come out on top (Granted I had like 10 health left, but still). That said: You have to be very creative with your turret placement or they're useless.

Her Teleporter is still the main reason I pick her though. A very aggressive teleporter can cut down run times from 20+ to ~5 seconds on some maps, which makes a HUGE difference, especially when the enemies still have to run for the full duration.

And the biggest problem I have with her is that no one picks an actual healer if Symmetra is picked (unless I play with friends).

10+ Year Old Account
    Her Overwatch Wiki does say "Some of Symmetra's traits, many of which were presented in A Better World, such as trouble socializing, dislike of crowds, an obsession with structured environments, and inability to empathize, are traits commonly associated with autism. This theory is further supported by the mention "where [Symmetra] fits in the spectrum, which might allude to the autism spectrum."

I'm not really sure that's relevant to how she plays as a character?

She's absolutely my favorite character, I have the highest win rate with her, but I only play her on defense maps. Even without a second support, sometimes with the right team composition it's still possible to win. With a Mercy or Lucio, it's pretty much definitely a win. I find in quick match even where people know where the sentries will probably be most of the time they still run straight into them and end up dying. Especially if they see someone standing on the other side of that door that they desperately want to kill. Irresistible bait.

The beam is amazing, can bring a full health tank down from 100-0 if you can dance around them properly. Most people I go running at with my beam freak out as soon as she's in their face and end up dying.

She doesn't work that well against full premade teams when you're on a pug team. I find they push too fast and there isn't time to get sentries and such set back up. At that point I usually switch to Lucio if we don't have one or another character if we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivelle View Post
    Her Overwatch Wiki does say "Some of Symmetra's traits, many of which were presented in A Better World, such as trouble socializing, dislike of crowds, an obsession with structured environments, and inability to empathize, are traits commonly associated with autism. This theory is further supported by the mention "where [Symmetra] fits in the spectrum, which might allude to the autism spectrum."

I'm not really sure that's relevant to how she plays as a character?
    Someone said something about the turrets and positioning them properly akin to some obsession with order, but hey I dunno too much there.

Symmetra is character I play the most and while it is true she is awesome defense character, I really love to pick her in offense too. It is different playstyle for sure, more hectic when pushing your line of turrets forward, it is still amazing character if played right. More interestingly, this is character I have play of the game the most often.. in most cases as a killing machine...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    This is the problem I've found with most Symmetra players: They never want to get in there and use her STRONGEST ability. You can destroy people with it.
    I'm just an average player, not great by any means, but I've started saving my PotGs with Symmetra just because they're more rare than someone else just running in and popping an ult and getting it. You can definitely see where people still run into sentries, and how close my character comes to dying when using the beam sometimes, but she still usually melts people before they can kill her.

None of these show melting a full health Reinhardt or Winston which she's incredibly good for if you can avoid the hammer and angry monkey paws. I had one before I downloaded a game recorder that had someone tell me "solid Symmetra play" and add me to Bnet friends.

She really is such an amazing character, it's a shame that more people either won't choose her or don't know how to play her correctly. Her shields are pretty weak, but they do stop teammates from getting one shotted by abilities that would normally one shot them (like a Widowmaker head shot). I would argue that there are definitely characters weaker than she is. Zenyatta is amazing for damage but he needs to have shields/armor packs/other heals to stay alive sufficiently because otherwise someone could throw a cold glare in his direction and he'd fall over dead.

She had to be nerfed because her win rate was the highest of any character, and still remains extremely strong as a defensive pick. She has the highest win rate for me still.

I have no idea how OP hasn't been banned for his ridiculous shitposting.
    By Blood and Honor We Serve!