Poll: Technologically Advance and Environmentally Friendly?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neyze View Post
    As long as all the insects are exterminated
    10 years ago my town chopped a wholle avenue's trees because of that, the freaking trees became hazardous because of the insects.

Just a reminder that the veer away from ornament was birthed by convictions as strong as any faith, which should be clear to anyone reading Ornament und Verbrechen:
    Freedom from ornament is a sign of spiritual strength
    Pattern appeals only to degenerates and plutocrats, aiding the latter’s control of the former.
    In a highly productive nation ornament is no longer a natural product of its culture, and therefore represents backwardness or even a degenerative tendency

Loos is exposing, of course, ancient rhetoric. Salted with deeply held cultural and ethnoracial stereotypes. He was trying to build a society better for all, free from the shackles of opulence. While simultaneously showing a clear disconnect with reality, and an uncomfortable desire to direct culture and society. Not too different from some progressive rhetoric we see everyday on this forums, but I digress...

But his teachings are well in the past. The schism against ornament is not an architectural one, but a societal one. Architects were rarely concerned with ornament: we designed spaces and experiences, not façades, not the filigree. We offered the ordered canvas on which other professions casted their art: sculptors and painters. That folks today are not hiring sculptors/painters is the product of developers cutting corners, not the will of architecture.

Heck, the orderly Chandigarh, designed by concrete-lover, box-producer Le Corbusier, is covered today with ornament; placed there by companies advertising their trade, just like sculptors placed gargoyles in Notre Dame to advertise their trade.

But let's inspect ancient popular architecture: piled boxes, boxes in a row, a flat-colored cone, some featureless pyramid, a pile of bricks, unnaturally vitrified bricks, a dirt box with a roof.
    Looks all unnaturally geometric to me.
    Of course, when owners let other arts pollute the pure forms, we get interesting and appealing results.

Just like folks living in some contemporary boxes, make them their own sprinkling it with their ornaments, and their greenery.

It's not different at all. We just have an skewed sense of what the old architecture was at their time; and we're preserving it entirely devoid of context.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2016-05-31 at 03:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Strong welcomes a green future!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    After humanity dies the ugly death it richly deserves, Earth will enjoy a green future.
    Would you like some cyanide with your edge?

Nature is beautiful, but it's not like your domesticated cat, it's a lion.

The Earth will simply take it's Green future, when the time is right.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by Narwal View Post
    Nature is beautiful, but it's not like your domesticated cat, it's a lion.
    Yeah, we're not talking about reintroducing species in populated areas.

There's thousands of miles of Siberian wilderness, so plenty of space to reintroduce mammoths or gmo elephants if we succeeded in creating them.

That's why I included that picture.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Greevir View Post
    Strong welcomes a green future!

Strong is strong!

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Form3r View Post
    Would you like some cyanide with your edge?
    WOOOOEEE Watch out, careful dude, you might cut yourself on that posters edge!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    Coal and oil were never substandard energy sources, they were just harder to obtain before a certain technological threshold. Solar is not and never will be as viable a power source as coal and oil.
    Spoken from someone who knows nothing about Space Based Solar Power. Willful ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    You know a green future doesn't just dictate the type of architecture. I assumed that was common sense. Any building can house solar panels or greenery on it.
    Many forms of ancient and historical architecture was arguably more efficient with their resources, mainly because they did not have the technical skill to use stored energy in fossil fuels to heat and cool their homes. The construction of the Hacienda and Spanish Missions for example tended to use thicker more insulating walls and place windows so they might catch regular breezes and avoid excessive sun, also the use of white coating isn't an accident.

Our cities are definitely ugly wastes today. Just the black top road pavement absorbs so much heat ect.

I think though the architecture debate comes up, mainly because when futurists try to sell the green future its always through the lens of some futuristic and thus hard to picture vision of what such cities would look like. If anything that sense that its a "future thing," and not a "Now thing," is what hurts green technology because its depicted solely as this sci-fi future thing when all cities look like Star Trek film sets and for some reason all the old original architecture is gone and replaced with this sleek stream lined kinda generic "ITS THE FUTURE!" look.

If I built a "green city?" It would have a very Spanish and Minoan Crete feel to it. With solar paneled tiled roofing, but just simply better and thicker walls for insulation, since unfortunately most American cities are shit in this regard and bleed energy and water constantly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I think though the architecture debate comes up, mainly because when futurists try to sell the green future its always through the lens of some futuristic and thus hard to picture vision of what such cities would look like. If anything that sense that its a "future thing," and not a "Now thing," is what hurts green technology because its depicted solely as this sci-fi future thing when all cities look like Star Trek film sets and for some reason all the old original architecture is gone and replaced with this sleek stream lined kinda generic "ITS THE FUTURE!" look.
    I feel this is overstated. For instance, here's a video that's explaining some of Philadelphia's new policy and future plans for their own green programs;

There's nothing particularly "future-y" about it. It's eminently practical, and it's not some theoretical future; they're building towards those goals today. Well, it started a couple years back; I attended a talk by their head City Planner on the program just as they were implementing it.

If you want more info than just the video, here's the city's website on the program; http://www.phillywatersheds.org/what...m_control_plan

I never understand why vids with this green every where only have non eatables...grow food, not grass.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    I never understand why vids with this green every where only have non eatables...grow food, not grass.
    Urban gardens are part of it, but green roofs are "better" than non-green roofs, even if they're "just" grass. You also can't really use streetside greenery to farm eatable food.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean cities akin to those shown in stuff like the Venus Project?

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    Probably because the food forest concept is relatively new and just planting a garden row on the roof or sidewalk is silly. We'd really need to step up the construction of bat houses though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    No, vehicle fuel is not "power generation".
    Yes, vehicle fuel is power generation. Otherwise said vehicle wouldn't go anywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Spoken from someone who knows nothing about Space Based Solar Power. Willful ignorance.
    Science fiction/fantasy. I love it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    What does having more trees and bushes around and having most things run on electricity or solar power akin to the life of a Third Worlder?

I respect your opinion, just a little put off.
    Don't you see? If we stop using fossil fuels the communists win, then they force trees and grass and shit on us.

- - - Updated - - -

Your posts often make me wonder if you're a time traveler from the 60's who knows nothing about modern tech, and has decided that despite living in another time where all of this stuff exists, it's all a lie by the communists, because McCarthy said so.

O time traveler, would you believe me if I told you that the box you are posting on is not just a training device to fight the communists, that you are actually using an invention that allows nigh instantaneous communication with people from around the world?
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2016-06-01 at 01:35 AM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, vehicle fuel is power generation. Otherwise said vehicle wouldn't go anywhere.
    "Power generation" is a term that refers to the power grid, not independent sources like vehicles. Otherwise, you're gonna be claiming that batteries are "power generators", that gravity is a "power generator". It's a silly use of the phrase. When we talk about a "generator" in common parlance, we don't mean human legs powering a bicycle.

That's right, almost all the satellites we've used for the better part of a half-century are science fiction. That's totally a rational position.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    "Power generation" is a term that refers to the power grid, not independent sources like vehicles..
    Okay, but that's not a restriction I put into this conversation. Once again, you moved the goalposts, not me. I've stated that solar power is supplemental power at best and that it can't replace "fossil" fuels, natural gas and nuclear. Then you come along and want to pigeon hole the discussion into just talking about power grids. I'm not talking about just power grids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Your posts often make me wonder if you're a time traveler from the 60's who knows nothing about modern tech, and has decided that despite living in another time where all of this stuff exists, it's all a lie by the communists, because McCarthy said so.

O time traveler, would you believe me if I told you that the box you are posting on is not just a training device to fight the communists, that you are actually using an invention that allows nigh instantaneous communication with people from around the world?
    If you don't agree with me, just say so Bats. Don't bore me.