Page 13 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Yes, thats exactly what I just said. I have no idea why you think I somehow am a fan of Fox news.
    Then demand it by refusing to read/watch either one.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glorygores View Post
    When you sign the TOS, you waiver your right to spew whatever bullshit you want. If someone at Facebook etc genuinely wanted to you could be banned for saying " I like poop ". Time to grow up.
    A customer signed TOS doesn't release Facebook from all of their obligations though.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Pretty much exactly this.
    Ironically, Endus does not feel the same way when it comes to how other businesses operate.

7+ Year Old Account
    You're right, I am. Because what they're doing is dishonest.
    How is it dishonest?

"stopping it" requires them to enforce it.
    Good luck.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

free speech means you have the right to say some hateful shit if you want, and I have the right to tell you to shut up

what we're seeing here is that a critical mass of people are not particularly interested in hear from bigots, and companies (being profit-interested) are responding to that.

frankly a lot of vile stuff gets posted on twitter and I don't find anything remotely objectionable about the company saying 'we don't want to be associated with this'

Why do you think Governments are more than eager to listen to all these SJW morons ? They'd like nothing more than censorship...

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    A customer signed TOS doesn't release Facebook from all of their obligations though.
    Without forced government intervention, it's not really an obligation, is it?

Free speech does not and never has meant that you are allowed to say anything and everything.
    There are some limits and they need to be enforced. I am sick to death of all the shithead racists, for example. Cutting their access to posting shit is beneficial.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where did Theo mention legally forcing something?
    Well in the absence of using legal force, my response to people wanting to use my publishing platform (if I'm a company like Facebook, Twitter, or even MMOC) to spew their hate speech is going to be to tell them to fuck off, to delete their content, and to ban them from the site. It is my right, as the company, to determine what I want published on my site, and I'll encourage meaningful debate, not venomous hate speech.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    If you are demanding social change via government intervention, then you are opting for authoritarianism. It reduces freedom, it does not increase it.
    Where did I write that? Maybe be less like Fox News please. Time to stop being dishonest.

Once again, that's appealing to their bottom line, which is the way to deal with such things.
    With "their wallet" I assume you meant someone buying him out. I missed the "bottom line" parentheses.

Then demand it by refusing to read/watch either one.
    Umm, I do? Where are you getting this stuff? You assume too much, and you overestimate yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bollocks View Post
    How is it dishonest?
    How isn't it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Well in the absence of using legal force, my response to people wanting to use my publishing platform (if I'm a company like Facebook, Twitter, or even MMOC) to spew their hate speech is going to be to tell them to fuck off, to delete their content, and to ban them from the site. It is my right, as the company, to determine what I want published on my site, and I'll encourage meaningful debate, not venomous hate speech.
    You didn't answer my question. Where did Theo mention legal enforcement?

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Obligation to what? Freedom of Speech? Whose Freedom of Speech? Britains? USAs? Mexicos? France? Italy? Internet isn't owned by America, son. It's a free range of every country in this world. When you sign to that TOS. You agree to obey THEIR rules. IF you don't like you have two options. Protest. Don't use the site. Don't, however, just mindlessly bitch about it and complain that they're infringing on "muh freedoms".

7+ Year Old Account
    I didn't assign anything.

And again, its exactly the same thing. People boo at Fox just like people are booing at Facebook.
    It's not the same position, while we are both criticizing them, I am not demanding nor expecting that they they change their model. You are. I have repeatedly explained this to you. Your repeated statement of "they are the same thing" does nothing to actually demonstrate that they are and instead demonstrates a difficulty you appear to have in reading and understanding.
    What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

Where did I write that? Maybe be less like Fox News please. Time to stop being dishonest.
    I'm not being dishonest, not at all. You are demanding they change, I'm simply inquiring how you wish to make such a demand.

7+ Year Old Account
    Without forced government intervention, it's not really an obligation, is it?
    Yes it is. Obligation to government is not the only obligation.

10+ Year Old Account
    You didn't answer my question. Where did Theo mention legal enforcement?
    He didn't in what I quoted. So I answered his comment without involving legal force. Done playing gotcha yet?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    With "their wallet" I assume you meant someone buying him out. I missed the "bottom line" parentheses.
    If you don't like how a company operates, don't spend money on them. Companies care about profits, so if they lose profits, they will change their business model.

Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    I'm not sure how curbing hate speech online disproportionately affects the poor over the rich. I'm not sure you're doing that analogy any favors.
    Non whatsoever. But I won't accept that their speech is equal in the highly abstract approach that "their platform, their rules" folks are taking.

And it swings both ways: Facebook is fighting hatepeach because of market pressures. They were content with hatepeach in their platform; some pressure group took to criticize that freedom, and they're changing policy. That, in the "muh platform" world, is a blatant attack on Facebook's freedom of speech. This, of course, is tacitly ignored.
    Last edited by nextormento; 2016-05-31 at 08:08 PM.