Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Intel's first 10-core desktop CPU will cost $1,723

Now that the megahertz race has slowed down in the desktop processor world, the new race is all about cores. To that end, Intel just announced its first 10-core desktop CPU, the Core i7-6950X Extreme Edition, today at Computex. (It's had 10-core Xeon CPUs for servers since 2011.) The new processor will run at 3GHz (with boost speeds up to 3.5GHz), pack in 25MB of cache and feature Intel's new Turbo Boost 3.0 technology. Just but be prepared to pay through the nose for the privilege of owning it, as the 10-core i7 Extreme Edition will cost $1,723.

So what does such an expensive processor get you? Intel claims it's twice as fast as the quad-core i7 6700K when it comes to 3D rendering, and 35 percent faster than the last-gen Core i7-5960X. When it comes to editing 4K video, it's 65 percent faster than that same quad-core chip and 25 percent faster than the previous i7. On the gaming front, it's 25 percent faster than the 5960X when it comes to gaming in 4K while encoding and broadcasting a 1080p Twitch stream. Basically, if you're dealing with massive amounts of content on a daily basis, it could be the ideal CPU for you.

The new Extreme Edition of i7 processors will also be available in an 8-core version (the i7-6900K for $1,089) and 6-core variants (the $617 i7-6850K and the $434 i7-6800K). Naturally, they're completely unlocked, so you can overclock them to your heart's content. All of the new chips also support DDR4-2400 RAM, a slight bump in speeds from the previous-gen processors.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/31/i...treme-edition/

Still won't run WoW over 60fps multitcore ftw.
    I'm guessing this new chip would run WoW worse than my i5 3570k due to slower single-core speeds.

Chips like this will get more popular when DX12 becomes standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    Still won't run WoW over 60fps multitcore ftw.
    I'm guessing this new chip would run WoW worse than my i5 3570k due to slower single-core speeds.

Chips like this will get more popular when DX12 becomes standard.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. While the clock speeds might be slower, the extreme i7s have much higher and faster caches and that also plays a huge role in performance in CPU heavy applications, CPU caches performance is probably the defining factor of the entire CPU's performance, if I'm not mistaken. The new i7 Extremes feature bigger and faster caches, I wouldn't be actually surprised if they shat on the 3570K in single core performance simply because of that sexy cache.
    Last edited by mauserr; 2016-05-31 at 06:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets just hope AMD's Zen will deliver what they claim (which unfortunately is a big if with AMD), and then let's just see for how long a decent 10-core CPU can cost that much

I do lots of data crunching. 10 core means 20 threads with hyperthreading. It's a dream CPU for mainstream PCs doing data crunching on the side, but too expensive.

Deleted
    mjeh kinda want but not with x99 chipset , need to wait and see the "skylake-e" version or even longer.... dying of old age before they get something exiting out, really could use some competition on desktop cpu world.

hmpph some new "information" on LGA 3647 around the web, true or false who knows.
    Last edited by mmoc198caea9b6; 2016-06-01 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crista View Post
    mjeh kinda want but not with x99 chipset , need to wait and see the skylake version or even longer.... dying of old age before they get something exiting out, really could use some competition on desktop cpu world.
    There never going to release a enthusiast level CPU on a mainstream board, it will only be enthusiast boards like the x99. So keep waiting until you die

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliddqvist View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. While the clock speeds might be slower, the extreme i7s have much higher and faster caches and that also plays a huge role in performance in CPU heavy applications, CPU caches performance is probably the defining factor of the entire CPU's performance, if I'm not mistaken. The new i7 Extremes feature bigger and faster caches, I wouldn't be actually surprised if they shat on the 3570K in single core performance simply because of that sexy cache.
    I'd probably guess that a 5775C is the best candidate for "best WoW CPU". L4 cache wins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would a Haswell single thread performance cpu with 8 cores be better than a skylake 4 core in games that support multicore well? Like, would a Haswell like 8 core Zen get better fps in a battlefield 4/1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Would a Haswell single thread performance cpu with 8 cores be better than a skylake 4 core in games that support multicore well? Like, would a Haswell like 8 core Zen get better fps in a battlefield 4/1.
    Compare the 5960X to the 6700K and you'll have your answer.

But really, for gaming it doesn't matter. You can go with a Pentium and do fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if Zen will be 199.

I wonder if Zen will be 199.
    Probably more towards $300 if the performance rumors are true. If it can compete with the extreme editions we might even see $400+ for the 8 core version.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't expect 8 core Zen to be cheap. It's supposed to be a high performance premium CPU and they'll most likely price it accordingly.

In any case they'll undercut Intel, Broadwell-E prices are ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    4 core zen 149.99
    6 core zen 199.99
    8 core zen 279.99
    10 core zen-399.99

idk.

Aren't there better (unlocked) xeons for far less $$? And since they're moving to LGA3647 in a year...

Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    I'd probably guess that a 5775C is the best candidate for "best WoW CPU". L4 cache wins.
    It's a great cpu when comparing freq to freq, but a terrible overclocker - can barely do >~4.4ghz.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2016-06-01 at 06:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    4 core zen 149.99
    6 core zen 199.99
    8 core zen 279.99
    10 core zen-399.99

idk.
    Unlikely to have 6 core option this time, unless it's a defective one with disabled cores. 10 is also impossible, the full die has 8 cores. And the 16 core Zen is double die like the Core 2 Quad.

It'll probably be 4 core at around 200 USD and the 8 core around 350~400 USD.

Wow, it very big, my PC costs $2000

Deleted
    thing is not many games take advantage of multicore tech it will be decades before this CPU is even put to good use atm its just a waste of money as you dnt need 10 cores most apps and games use around 1-4 4 being the extreme max maybe some newer games have upped it to 5 or 6 i dunno

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    thing is not many games take advantage of multicore tech it will be decades before this CPU is even put to good use atm its just a waste of money as you dnt need 10 cores most apps and games use around 1-4 4 being the extreme max maybe some newer games have upped it to 5 or 6 i dunno
    It's only really for content creators that would benefit from the increased speed, at which point $1700 is not really much. That said, I have a really hard time seeing this selling a whole lot outside of those people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    It's only really for content creators that would benefit from the increased speed, at which point $1700 is not really much. That said, I have a really hard time seeing this selling a whole lot outside of those people.
    The issue is that... You could get a better specced Xeon Broadwell with ECC and such for less. Better for content creators. The prices just don't make sense.