Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I know a lot of people are going to blame Islam on this, but as far as I know, there's really no religious precedent at all for this.
    Isn't this part of Sharia law though (the allowed to 'lightly beat' them)? If so, then doesn't that go hand in hand with their religion?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    You're right there is a certain group that has it out for women and "it's all too common amongst them": men.
    Please don't start... -.-

Saudi Arabia does't have a rape problem. Are you aware of just how strict and overhanded their sex crime laws are?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_in_Saudi_Arabia
    In Saudi Arabia, rape cases usually target both the defendant and the victim, and in some cases, the victim can be sentenced to even harsher punishment than the assailant.
    ya no problem, wonder why it would not get reported much....... /s

Quote Originally Posted by Skalm View Post
    Isn't this part of Sharia law though (the allowed to 'lightly beat' them)? If so, then doesn't that go hand in hand with their religion?
    It's a cultural thing, and religion deeply influences it... these acts and such would be under the category of "honor killing", which is incredibly common in that region.

Oh yeah I remember reading about that on CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/28/asia/p...light-beating/
    "I have friends, many friends. I have friends in China, India, Russia." "I will make deals, lots of deals. I'm good at making deals. Deals, deals, deals."

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not false. You can google it if you think my source is not good enough (scroll up).

Violence against women in the name of honour is not a new thing and it's definitely not a Muslim or Asian ideology.
    How about we all stop living in the past and being all "Oooh Crusades!" "Ohhhh! Slavery" "Oooooh Internment Camps"!

I'm more interested in the things happening now. I don't give a shit what happened 300+ years ago. Cope with it and help resolve the current issues, or shove your bleeding hearts and get the hell out of the way for those who have the stomach to do something about it. It's not X ideology?

Great, I'm happy for you, and I'm gonna let ya finish.. But it's a crime happening and it needs to be stopped.
    If the person acts like an animal, they need to be put down like Harambe was. #HumanLivesMatter.

"Lightly beat them"? Yeah no. Lets put them in jail and get those gals a divorce, and if needed protection from such monsters.

I see also the rape culture feminists are silent on this sort of stuff too. How very convenient.
    Last edited by The Penguin; 2016-06-01 at 07:35 PM.

Deleted
    Saudi Arabia does't have a rape problem. Are you aware of just how strict and overhanded their sex crime laws are?

Furthermore, are you saying that the three countries you've mentioned are filled with rapists?
    That's a complete and utter LIE. Saudi Arabian Wahhabism allows a husband to demand sex from his wife WHENEVER he wants with NO punishment.

That IS rape.

How you can be so oblivious to the abuse of helpless women is shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsworn Knight View Post
    What your link doesn't say (to anyone who is actually following this discussion ) is that the King of Saudi Arabia gave the victims an official pardon and they were not actually lashed or jailed.

In addition the perpetrators of the gang rape were sentenced to 1,000 lashes and imprisonment up to ten years

Nice try but you just proved that Saudi Arabia has strict sexual assault crimes just because they might have sexist laws in place for the victims doesn't negate that.

Bye

Deleted
    What your link doesn't say (to anyone who is actually following this discussion ) is that the King of Saudi Arabia gave the victims an official pardon and they were not actually lashed or jailed.
    Why were they sentenced to begin with?

In addition the perpetrators of the gang rape were sentenced to 1,000 lashes and imprisonment up to ten years for four of them.

Nice try but you just proved that Saudi Arabia has strict sexual assault crimes just because they might have sexist laws in place for the victims doesn't negate that.

Bye
    The fact they even needed Pardon (if they got it) for being a victim kinda proves how screwed up they are.

10+ Year Old Account

In addition the perpetrators of the gang rape were sentenced to 1,000 lashes and imprisonment up to ten years

Bye
    Wow 10 years? Is that all? While it's good that the King of the Saudis did that, do any of us really believe that it will not continue if people do not grab the problem at it's root and tear it out? All this does is make X number of people think the King is a infidel, while X number laud it. You need overwhelming and draconian punishment in the style of Vlad III to make any headway against savages like this.

They Gang rape someone? Ok. Mandatory execution for certain vile crimes. Public Execution where possible. Humane, but harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by gruyaka View Post
    Why were they sentenced to begin with?
    The sentencing is justified and it's clearly written in the link, that is, it is illegal for women to be alone with men who are not related to them. This law was put in place to protect women (and men) from putting themselves in situations which would inspire rape. Before you say victim blaming this is no different to the loud groups that question women about what they were wearing and why they were out so late or why they got into the car with a stranger.

10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, sexist laws DO negate that. Second, the definition of rape in Saudi Arabia is different from Western, and a lot of what here would be considered rape, there is a common practice. Third, there have been many cases of raped women sentenced to lashing, it isn't exactly secret.

Which doesn't mean that Islam inherently promotes violence against women and sexism, of course. Sharia does... But then, it is a silly idea to build a system of laws based on some abstract teachings in the first place. I like Witcher series a lot, but I be damned if I have to live in a country with law system based on those games!
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dadwen View Post
    The fact they even needed Pardon (if they got it) for being a victim kinda proves how screwed up they are.
    Victim blaming doesn't happen in the west too? Damn it seems like all the negative happenings in society are confined to a certain location that is not the West.

It's just their culture, obviously.

Deleted
    Ohh look it's Islam once again being stuck in stone age. Who would've guessed...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by volkanik View Post
    No, but treating women like shit is definitely a Muslim thing. Women have very little rights in Muslim countries.
    How many Muslim women have you talked to?

Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    To hell with the bleeding hearts scenarios. Cases like this are good examples where the World needs to step in and collectively force these sorts of theocratic nations to stop raising their children this way, and end this sort of behavior. Oh sure it'll up the terrorist count for 30-40 years but you know what? That's alright. This is one of those generational battles worth having. If Laci Greene was actually interested in women's rights she'd be talking about this. But she's no feminist any more than African Americans are African in any sense but the name (and which Africans hate being compared to understandably).

The TLDR: This shit has gone on for 5000+ years and needs to stop. If these Countries cannot evolve or enforce a more peaceful religious outlook, that protects their citizens, then they need to be forced to do so for humanity's collective good. Radicals of any faith need to evolve or become extinct. Societies that practice barbaric things whether circumcision or this should be taken to task.

While I am circumcised, and I'm alright with it; it would of been nice to of had the choice. I feel it might of made the choice more meaningful and important to me personally, but it was one that was sadly denied to me.

Also don't construe this as hate speech. I said radical and not Muslims, because I know many true Muslims who practice their faith peacefully and in a means that this barbarism does not take root in. Some of them are the kindest people you will ever meet. Others are the filth of the earth. It's a good mix of humanity to be honest.

This Orientalist outlook has been the prevailing narrative for the last couple of centuries, and it is the prevailing narrative still today. It's not always phrased this way, but it's subconsciously recognized. This is part of what drives Western foreign policy and popular opinion. It's what allows the United States to obliterate a country like Iraq, and then rationalize by claiming it was a liberation. It's what allowed the British to suppress the Palestinians by claiming that they are incapable of governing themselves. Swarthy people are refuse to progress you see. They are incapable of changing their culture to something more progressive. They require iron-handed rule to take care of them, either at the hands of local dictators or Western polities. As for me, I'm completely against using humanitarianism, democracy, secularism, or any other feel-good buzzword you can come up with as tools for foreign domination.

Thanks for acting as the posterboy of Orientalism, I was in the search of a venue for a mini-rant. '3' ~ <3
    Last edited by Quien Soy Yo; 2016-06-01 at 07:52 PM.

Victim blaming doesn't happen in the west too? Damn it seems like all the negative happenings in society are confined to a certain location that is not the West.
    One in the west you're not going to get in trouble for calling the police on a real rape that has been proved, two while there may be some "cry wolf I've been raped" cases the law does not outright put you in fear of your life of reporting it.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    First of all, sexist laws DO negate that. Second, the definition of rape in Saudi Arabia is different from Western, and a lot of what here would be considered rape, there is a common practice. Third, there have been many cases of raped women sentenced to lashing, it isn't exactly secret.

Which doesn't mean that Islam inherently promotes violence against women and sexism, of course. Sharia does... But then, it is a silly idea to build a system of laws based on some abstract teachings in the first place. I like Witcher series a lot, but I be damned if I have to live in a country with law system based on those games!
    Oh please don't start lol "the definition of rape". Why was Martial rape legal only a decade ago in US? And why are the laws so disparate from state to state?

Virginia
    Husbands who rape their wives may be able to escape prosecution if they agree to undergo therapy—just as long as their wife agrees to it too. Virginia state law says: “All or part of any sentence … may be suspended upon the defendant’s completion of counseling or therapy … after consideration of the views of the complaining witness.”

Oklahoma
    Victims of marital rape in Oklahoma can only bring charges against their husband or wife “if force or violence is used or threatened, accompanied by apparent power of execution to the victim or to another person.”

Ohio
    Victims of marital rape by drugging or because they have a mental or physical conditions are treated the same as non-married couples in Ohio, but only if they don’t live together, in which case “force or the threat of force” must have been used. Such exceptions could soon be removed by a bill introduced in May.

Idaho
    In Idaho, only men can rape, so wife-on-husband rape, rare as it may be, doesn’t exist.

There are more mind boggling variations in the law that virtually make marital rape legal only if " considerable force/penetration" occur.