Deleted
    Seen it last night (Ireland) and loved the film, I would of liked the film to last longer but that's an industry thing rather than criticism of the film, as a collective we were talking about the film at the start and then when it ended we were discussing it on the way out and I didn't hear anyone complaining about the film. Can't really say how the turn out is because I purposely went to the latest possible viewing 23:00 lasting to around 01:00 on a Tuesday night to avoid any crowds and there was 14 of us there in a complex for 100 people which the staff said was average among all movies at that time slot at the cinema near me. Also out of the 14 I was the only person who has played/is playing WoW. I found that interesting because I really thought it would be the opposite.

I would advise anyone reading negative reviews to ignore them and go and see it for yourself, I haven't been to see a film in cinema for 8 years and I kinda forgot how amazing it is vs watching a lower quality version sourced online. The spell casting in the film is beautiful, so much detail.. wish I could say more but spoilers and all that .
    Last edited by mmoc7edb5ef905; 2016-06-01 at 05:35 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    40% isn't bad for a genre flick. "Bad" SF/fantasy films get much worse ratings, and only a small percentage of quite watchable SF/fantasy films get to 60-70%.

Resident Evil was decent, got 33%. Mortal Kombat (I) had one of the best soundtracks of the 1990s, gobs of outstanding visuals and fights, and a pretty good attempt at a plot considering, and also got 33%. Tank Girl only made it to 38%. (!!!)

40% RT for a genre film that you're interested in means you will probably like it, maybe a lot, but you will see ways in which it could be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    40% isn't bad for a genre flick. "Bad" SF/fantasy films get much worse ratings, and only a small percentage of quite watchable SF/fantasy films get to 60-70%.
    It's 24% now. Early aggregates of 40% were flattering, the more reviews come out the further it plummets.

I mean ok, you can find some outliers in the 40-60 range that could have gone either way, but a ~20%... heh.
    Should have gone straight to dvd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadblock View Post
    It's 24% now. Early aggregates of 40% were flattering, the more reviews come out the further it plummets.

I mean ok, you can find some outliers in the 40-60 range that could have gone either way, but a ~20%... heh.
    Netflix exclusive IMO.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    I thinks it's funny that nobody even defended this movie. It was universally disliked by fans, critics and regular movie-goers alike.
    While with the Wacraft movie it is a little different. Critics say around 20%, Haters say -20% and the regular movie goers reviews show 8.1 to 8.3 out of ten, or 4.3 out of 5 in those countries the movie already has been out since last week. Looking at early critics and reviews it make me feel some people just went to the show to actively looking for things they want to dislike. They get lost a lot in tiny wimpy details that they forget to see the overall picture. I don't care if footman number 78 has a squeeky voice when he speaks his line in one scene for 2 seconds, and i don't even care if the highelve shows her iwatch while tying her shoelaces in the background.

Most critics and review that go way to deep into the unimportant details missed the mark (and their job) by a hundred miles. As someone already mentioned in another thread: some people just want to see the world (of Warcraft) burn..... for no stupid reasons. Maybe they knew they get more clicks for writing and publishing a bad review about the movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I read the reviews the only one I really give any credence to is this one and a half star review from Carlos Magalhães:

This lumbering adaptation was obviously made for fans of the game only, since for the uninitiated (like me) it will be very hard to care about paper-thin characters and a convoluted plot that feels more like a first chapter in an endless, tedious saga of movies full of noise and CGI.
    This was a concern of mine, for the franchise and its success. Without seeing the movie yet myself (not yet out in the U.S.) my understanding is if you're a WoW fan (non-jaded) you should enjoy the movie. Beyond that there isn't much there for people that are unfamiliar with the franchise that may simply be fantasy fans. I know that from a marketing stand point I feel they have failed miserably. They did not present it well to non-fans to generate hype or interest, and even up until recently finding footage was like pulling teeth for those of us who actually ARE fans and were interested in seeing it. If you weren't an attendee at said convention... well fuck you, should have bought a ticket.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    OK whatever. Haters gonna hate, fans gonna watch it.

The reviews for genre films are always mostly shitty even if the movie is good or even great.

Seriously how the fuck does Repo Man wind up with a (much) higher RT% than Buckaroo Banzai? Repo Man's almost a non-movie. I mean, it's an awesome non-movie, but it's also almost content-free. Hell, "What's with the watermelon" is a more memorable quote than the most memorable quote from Repo Man, "Put it on a plate, son, you'll enjoy it more."

Mainstream reviews for genre films are unreliable at best, unless we're talking about something like Supernova or LoTR.
    Last edited by Normie; 2016-06-01 at 09:31 PM.

Deleted
    Seen the movie twice now.

First time IMAX 3D super hyped midnight showing, I really enjoyed it. Gave it a 7/10.

Second time 2D 5/10.

The film has MAJOR flaws, it's literally all over the place.
    The orc scenes are great. 5 points for orcs.
    Human scenes are meh. Khadgar and Ruth Negga as the queen were the most believable for me. Negga should have had more scenes.

The film constantly goes in and out of focus aswell, I thought this might have just been the 3D which is why I went to see it in 2D... nope still there.

Garona would have been the STAR if she had DECENT tusks.. she literally had perfect teeth and some polo mints for tusks.
    Seriously though, her tusks would break off of a chicken bone.

I did not like ben foster as medivh, I think if you enjoyed his perfomance you really should watch it again.
    Lothar could not carry the movie which he really had to as he was a main focal point.
    Garona needed TUSKS and even drakas nose.. I mean come on guys.

Draka was great, Opening of the portal great, Guldan great.

They said they would start the movies from 'the beginning' so that everyone could understand it. Bad move as the movie was literally all over the place.

The first thing I said when I walked out the 7/10 rated imax was not "I loved it!" but "Well, I'm glad it exists."

Sad really.
    Last edited by mmoce4fd1a8c77; 2016-06-01 at 09:41 PM.

I would not worry about the couple of journalists at press screenings overseas

as the film has not opened in major markets like North America, China, Brazil, Japan and other countries

It is very likely to go back to 30-40% when all is said and done

If the rotten tomatoes' score is too low for your liking, then fine. But all those people giving it 10/10 on IMDB should be equally worthless as well.
    If you validate those IMDB scores more than RT, then that's your inner fanboy showing and you have no business discussing objectivity either.

I would say the real score lies somewhere between 50-60%. If you are a Warcraft player, chances are you don't have any problem with its presentation since you are familiar with the lore. But movies are made for general audience and a large portion of them haven't touched WoW or War3.

Some of the people above who describe the plot as "all over the place" nail the main problem with the movie IMO.
    When we looked at the relics of the precursors, we saw the height civilization can attain.
    When we looked at their ruins, we marked the danger of that height.
    - Keeper Annals

Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    If the rotten tomatoes' score is too low for your liking, then fine. But all those people giving it 10/10 on IMDB should be equally worthless as well.
    If you validate those IMDB scores more than RT, then that's your inner fanboy showing and you have no business discussing objectivity either.

I would say the real score lies somewhere between 50-60%. If you are a Warcraft player, chances are you don't have any problem with its presentation since you are familiar with the lore. But movies are made for general audience and a large portion of them haven't touched WoW or War3.

Some of the people above who describe the plot as "all over the place" nail the main problem with the movie IMO.
    I would also argue lack of character development showing, things just transcribe behind the scenes in terms of relationship developments or they happen so fast its not believable.

7+ Year Old Account

Straight to DVD, or bombard China with China's first Hollywood-acquirement-production... hm.

Yeah, gonna give China that win.
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't say how other than it was 100% legal, but I saw the movie early tonight. It is certainly not a 24% movie and it might be one of the better video game adaptation I have seen. I even brought my father-in-law, who knows nothing about Warcraft but enjoys fantasy, and he enjoyed it. That being said, it is by no means a great movie and it has many flaws, the worst of which being the disjointed feel of the plot. If you are a fan of Warcraft you will get some enjoyment out of it and if you are a general fantasy fan you might like it, but I have no idea how general audiences will receive this.

Quote Originally Posted by OreoLover View Post
    Straight to DVD, or bombard China with China's first Hollywood-acquirement-production... hm.

Yeah, gonna give China that win.
    It's a decent Netflix movie night. The reviews are a glaring hole into all the WoW fans who would like any WoW flick, even if it was a poorly done cartoon. Not buying it. Not paying retail for this movie.

But hey, if it turns out really good, I'll see the next one (if there is one). It took like 10-15 years to get this movie out -- I'm not hopeful the next will be quicker, if there is one. The story of Arthus might come out around 2040-2050 at this rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lannden View Post
    I can't say how other than it was 100% legal, but I saw the movie early tonight. It is certainly not a 24% movie and it might be one of the better video game adaptation I have seen. I even brought my father-in-law, who knows nothing about Warcraft but enjoys fantasy, and he enjoyed it. That being said, it is by no means a great movie and it has many flaws, the worst of which being the disjointed feel of the plot. If you are a fan of Warcraft you will get some enjoyment out of it and if you are a general fantasy fan you might like it, but I have no idea how general audiences will receive this.
    That sounds about right. Warcraft movie fans will like it. General fantasy fans will probably enjoy it. The general movie goer/professional movie critic that has no bias towards Warcraft/Blizzard will focus more on the flaws.

It's amazing watching people grasp at straws, spout wild conspiracy theories, or otherwise just ignore/dismiss information they don't like.

The mental gymnastics people are going to regarding the reception to this movie, geez.

Maybe, just maybe, it's just not a very good movie?

A CGI gorefest that completely butchered the source material turns out to be a complete stinker? SHOCKING!
    Sylvanas Windrunner For Warchief 2016!!
    #NoFlyNoSub, #NoFlyNoLegion, #NoFlyNoBuy, #BringBackFlight

Deleted
    Why is everyone so obsessed with the rating? Is it a personal feeling of insecurity issue or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Why is everyone so obsessed with the rating? Is it a personal feeling of insecurity issue or something?
    People can't form their own opinions so they turn to sites like RT to do it for them. Funny thing about that is RT is one of the worst rating sites I've come across, but as I said people use whatever they can to get an opinion since they can't form it themselves.

I loved the movie, you mad haters?