Page 30 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Oh, come on.

And no, ring species prove evolutionary processes; they couldn't emerge without them.
    Ring species debunks the definition of species being organisms that can reproduce with each other. That is what I was claiming ring species debunked. I was not claiming that ring species debunked evolution. Please pay attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That's...dude, that's evolution. That's literally evolution. Who "decided" it? The scientific community after a hell of a lot of criticism, testing, theorizing, and work.
    Yet scientists still debate on the definition of species, and I don't see the logic behind concluding that just because organism A can no longer reproduce with organism B that therefore all life on the planet originated from a common ancestor.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I...are you serious? The concept of species is man-made to describe something. That's what words are, descriptors. We create them so we can understand concepts, like what different species without the same family are.

And ring species doesn't debunk anything, how did you come to that conclusion?
    Ring species, where species A can breed with species B, species B can breed with species C, but species A cannot breed with species C. That would mean that A and C are both the same and not the same species. It's a paradox.

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Yes, observation and interpretations of those observation - the two are linked in the sciences. Everything starts with an observation. Also, you don't get to ignore those observations while you make your interpretations.
    Where did I say I was ignoring observations? Just because I reject some interpretations doesn't mean I reject the observations they were based on.

Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    It is convincing! See how easy it is to use 'common sense' to lead you to a belief which works only in a vacuum? Get on my level.
    What exactly do you mean by this post?
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    There are plenty of observations you can make to see the big bang, the cosmic microwave background radiation being an easy one to see, considering it is everywhere.
    And what about it proves the Big Bang?

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseus View Post
    How is it hammer doesn't understand how evolution works yet you guys have been given literal definitions of how evolution works. Either put up or shut up because your opinion isn't fact.
    Because he's a 40-50 year old man too rooted in his own religious biases, who trolls the thread for validation of concepts that no one has claimed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    The Big Bang isn't compatible either my faith
    We kinda figured out that one already.

or the evidence I've gathered myself
    Dunning–Kruger effect in display here.

No, I'm not... but I do want to thank you for your civility so far. The Big Bang isn't compatible either my faith or the evidence I've gathered myself during my lifetime regarding the nature of our world.
    Evidence you've gathered during your lifetime regarding the nature of our world refutes the big bang theory?

Please, do share. The entire scientific world awaits with baited breath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I'd say "no" since lots of non-religious concepts have creation concepts in them. Like the Big Bang theory and alien astronauts and all sorts of other ideas.
    The Big Bang Theory is not religious, alien astronauts is effectively replacing God with alien astronauts, it is just Sci-Fi version of religion.

Creationism is a religious concept, it is thoroughly dishonest to claim otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    No, science is not another kind of faith. That's fundamentally incorrect. There's no faith or belief to it whatsoever.
    You are absolutely right! Just as a hammer simply 'is' whether we believe it or not, so science simply 'is'. It 'is' a tool. That doesn't mean that you can construct whatever you like and call it whatever you like and expect everyone else to agree, be it using science or a hammer.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Dunning–Kruger effect in display here.
    My eyes and my camera have no reason to lie to me.

Quote Originally Posted by timberx View Post
    Because he's a 40-50 year old man too rooted in his own religious biases, who trolls the thread for validation of concepts that no one has claimed.
    Oh okay lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

You have been given the definition of belief several times in the past. Just stop. Or is this one of these instances where you stick your fingers in your ears and scream till the definition hopefully changes to support you?
    Are you saying there is no difference between

"I believe God created the Earth 6000 years ago because Bible."

"I believe JFK was assassinated even though it happened before I was born because documented video evidence."

"I believe I am typing on a computer right now even though this could all be a dream within a dream because DUH!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    The Big Bang Theory is not religious, alien astronauts is effectively replacing God with alien astronauts, it is just Sci-Fi version of religion.

Creationism is a religious concept, it is thoroughly dishonest to claim otherwise.
    If we term a 'creation concept' as simply the origin of the universe (or all of existence) then indeed any theory of the universe would contain a creation concept. Just because some theories don't claim to know how it happened doesn't mean that they can put off realizing that one is at least entirely necessary.

spinner (im on my phone) a species are a collection of organism that can reproduce between them and leave VIABLE offspring. a mule and a horse are different species, but related enough that they can mate. their offspring is "viable" in the sense that it can live, but cannot reproduce. the dog and wolf shares the same species (canis lupus i think)
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post

Yeah, I consider the Big Bang Theory, along with the Theory of Evolution to be the religious creation concepts of a religion I call "Secular Humanism" (a form of Atheism).

You wouldn't be the first person to see hallucinations. It's a thing, it happens. Do you deny this?
    Yeah, I consider the Big Bang Theory, along with the Theory of Evolution to be the religious creation concepts of a religion I call "Secular Humanism" (a form of Atheism).
    The BBT was first proposed by a religious man. Tough luck.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2016-06-02 at 04:50 AM.

Dunning-Kruger has nothing to do with either of these things.

10+ Year Old Account
    You would think one could logically conclude if life exists outside of Earth when they can conclude how life exists.
    We have not concluded that life exists outside of Earth and even if we had, we would need to know what form it takes before knowing if evolution is applicable to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    From what I gather, you and others here believe Evolution to be correct. None of you have the information to prove such a claim; and so, you've put faith in your belief, regardless of its lack of proof.
    pretty sure you are trolling....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    Ring species debunks the definition of species being organisms that can reproduce with each other. That is what I was claiming ring species debunked. I was not claiming that ring species debunked evolution. Please pay attention.
    The dividing line for species isn't solely on breeding, but two populations of organisms that are so disparate that they cannot interbreed are different species.

With a ring species arrangement, each subgroup is a separate species. The Greenish Warbler in the Himalayas, for instance, is composed of 5 separate species, where the first (Phylloscopus Trochiloides) variated into 4 additional species, eventually resulting in Phylloscopus Viridianus, which cannot interbreed with P. Trochiloides any more, even though each species can interbreed with its neighbours.

While being able to breed isn't a confirmation that there's only one species, a failure to be able to do so is a confirmation of speciation.

secular humanism is not a religion. in fact the "secular" part clearly states the non-faith based form of thinking
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    Are you saying there is no difference between

"I believe God created the Earth 6000 years ago because Bible."

"I believe JFK was assassinated even though it happened before I was born because documented video evidence."

"I believe I am typing on a computer right now even though this could all be a dream within a dream because DUH!"
    Of course there are differences. In fact, everything about those sentences was different except for the part that says "I believe".

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    spinner (im on my phone) a species are a collection of organism that can reproduce between them and leave VIABLE offspring. a mule and a horse are different species, but related enough that they can mate. their offspring is "viable" in the sense that it can live, but cannot reproduce. the dog and wolf shares the same species (canis lupus i think)
    Maybe you were typing hastily. I assume you meant a horse and donkey, which produce a mule, which you say is viable, but you also say a horse and donkey are different species. This conflicts with your claim earlier that if two organisms can produce viable offspring then they are the same species.