Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    The only real game mode missing is CTF. They could easily add that when they add new characters and maps for free. TF2 originally launched with 6 maps. TF2 still only has 6 classes I believe compared to Overwatch's 21. 9 years later. Talk about slim pickings in the variety of what you can play.

The popularity of Overwatch should be a green light for development to keep going.
    They are also missing 5 CP maps, which is they paid attention to TF2, is actually the most popular competitive game mode there is. And no they can't easily add anything. Blizzard is striving for the amazing visual in their game, which means the time it takes for them to design and build an entire new map or hero is going to be huge.

And no, TF2 has always had 9 classes. You should really look into the details games more you want to bash. And the variety of different weapons you can equip for each one changes up the gameplay of even one ranging from slightly to drastically. There are actually more combinations of different play styles in that game than Overwatch atm.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    Could be very well why they went the pay to play route...if it were free to play people would of had their fun with no charge and walked away, but this way they made their money and if people walk away they don't lose much.
    That's really the problem with P2P games these days and one of the reasons people want F2P. But their revenue going forward is going to be dependent on people buying loot boxes which is going to suffer if people just aren't interested in the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    Just like cardstone would die fast, or wow, or diablo. Blizzard games last, they don't die fast.
    yeah but overwatch is competitng with CSGO on the esports scene, only reason its to patm is cos its a new game like all new games they will eventually drop down in to the abyss of old twitch games

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    yeh well dnt expect any content cos its blizzard we are dealing with here

- - - Updated - - -

i hope so cos its fucking aids atm solo qeueing in quick match, i just spawn 5 seconds later im dead, im not the worst player and im not the best but its fucking annoying spending 75% of a match in the spawn room cos of stupid shit, i even report a player who was using mercys pistol firing like a machine gun for like 1 minute
    You realize games like Overwatch, Heroes and Hearthstone are piss easy to develop for along with profitable which is why they delved into those genres right?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    They are also missing 5 CP maps, which is they paid attention to TF2, is actually the most popular competitive game mode there is. And no they can't easily add anything. Blizzard is striving for the amazing visual in their game, which means the time it takes for them to design and build an entire new map or hero is going to be huge.

And no, TF2 has always had 9 classes. You should really look into the details games more you want to bash. And the variety of different weapons you can equip for each one changes up the gameplay of even one ranging from slightly to drastically. There are actually more combinations of different play styles in that game than Overwatch atm.

- - - Updated - - -

That's really the problem with P2P games these days and one of the reasons people want F2P. But their revenue going forward is going to be dependent on people buying loot boxes which is going to suffer if people just aren't interested in the game.
    I played it for close to 4 years. I didn't take the time to google the exact number. So 9 versus 21. My point still stands. The customization of each class still has the class playing the same. More powerful boxing gloves, or stronger flame throwers from behind but still maintains the core of the class itself. Plus the ability to change weapons didn't happen for close to 2 years after release (for some classes) when they revamped every class.

Games are made to be faster in Overwatch so 5 point matches would be counter to that idea. They have 2 point matches, which can go to 3 if it's a tie. They could do 5 point or more if they wanted the individual games to last forever.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    I played it for close to 4 years. I didn't take the time to google the exact number. So 9 versus 21. My point still stands. The customization of each class still has the class playing the same. More powerful boxing gloves, or stronger flame throwers from behind but still maintains the core of the class itself. Plus the ability to change weapons didn't happen for close to 2 years after release (for some classes) when they revamped every class.

Games are made to be faster in Overwatch so 5 point matches would be counter to that idea. They have 2 point matches, which can go to 3 if it's a tie. They could do 5 point or more if they wanted the individual games to last forever.
    I haven't actually timed it yet, but given all the insane waiting times from potg/commendation screen/stats/loading new map/hero selection time/set up time... you'll actually end up playing more in TF2.

Is there a link which stated Overwatch 10million sales in opening week? I try to find it, but still couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndor View Post
    I seriously dont get why we dont have soloq it would solve so many problems. Instead we have this dynamic where most games are compeltly decided by premade players and not by you. Thats why you see so many stomps. Ig ranked game will not have separated soloQ this game will die.
    You do realise that premade groups are primarily matched against premades and solo players are primarily matched against solo players, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    I haven't actually timed it yet, but given all the insane waiting times from potg/commendation screen/stats/loading new map/hero selection time/set up time... you'll actually end up playing more in TF2.
    Mmh, let's see.
    Each game is approx ten minutes or close to it.
    PotG is approx 16 secs.
    Cards + individual numbers screen is approx 20-30 secs, I forget exact numbers, it has a countdown in the upper right.
    Approx 30 secs on character select
    Approx 30 secs waiting while on attack, a bit more than that if defending to give the defenders time to get into place with the same rough 30 seconds.

That's a _staggering_ number that is.

Deleted
    Overwatch will never be a direct competitor to CS:GO. Blizz might keep trying to forcefully push it (they bought MLG recently iirc) but eventually, CS:GO still stay ahead by a huge margin.

I personally think the game will have a somewhat stable player base for the next months/ years but they will definitely have to keep pushing out updates. TF2 did not have a lot of content on launch either but it has dedicated servers on which you can run custom maps (created using a Map editor, something that OW does not have at all). You can even create custom game modes for TF2. Not to forget to mention that the game has a way better net code than OW currently has.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
    I suspect it to lose a lot of popularity pretty quickly, very early on. Unless they are already working on patches and intend to push something out in the next 2 months. Because that's what this game needs. Constant changing. I'm already bored of half the heroes.
    Seems to be a trend lately (Last year or so?) where Online/Multiplayer Games are lasting for about a month-or-so before having a massive drop in the playerbase.

A very fine number of games (Ex: A Realm Reborn, Battlefield 4... ) Seem to have been only GAINING players lately.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Deleted
    I think Overwatch will last for years. It has a steep learning curve, it's easy to get hands on it, and it's extremely popular in Korea.
    I don't think the lack of custom maps is really an issue, I don't think many players are actually attracted by custom maps

Quote Originally Posted by PadBanda View Post
    source? i was looking for the first week sales all morning but could not find..
    He's mixing up the 10 million reported beta player with actual sales. Though it's safe to assume OW sold millions of copies by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivelle View Post
    I don't know...I'm 34 and have already sunk 47 hours into it, and it's my first FPS. I'm not amazing, but it's been fun so far. Once you get used to the fact that you are going to die A LOT, it gets better and less frustrating. The only thing I'm not liking is running into full premade teams when my team is a pug.
    They gave us some numbers from beta that should be the same as they are now and that were that less then a 1% of the time a solo queuer will run into a premade.
    I do solo queue most of the time and the times I am sure it was a premade would probably be a hand full of games out of the 250 I played so far.

There are better players on the other team sometimes that can make it look like a premade (I stomped a match in 2 minutes on temple of anubis last night on attack while in solo queue).
    The other team said "O premade, thanks blizz" but we were totally random.
    Just all knowing what to pick (I went pharah, rest was 2x winston, 1 mercy, 1 genji and a reaper).

That's not really what im looking for though. I don't care to measure myself up with other players. I'm not really taking much fun out of that.
    I want the game to change and evolve.
    Out of the curiosity - was there ever a game that you were content with how fast it changed and evolved? I am suspecting you are simply burning through content so fast that any game gets boring for you within a couple of days.

It's a bit suprising to me that someone says "Because that's what this game needs. Constant changing" a week after the release of a game. Any game.
    Last edited by procne; 2016-06-02 at 08:02 AM.
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

But i suppose I just want more dynamic gameplay than overwatch can really offer at this stage.
    .. you dont get much more dynamic of a gameplay in an FPS than OW

Quote Originally Posted by Perfectdoll View Post
    Mmh, let's see.
    Each game is approx ten minutes or close to it.
    PotG is approx 16 secs.
    Cards + individual numbers screen is approx 20-30 secs, I forget exact numbers, it has a countdown in the upper right.
    Approx 30 secs on character select
    Approx 30 secs waiting while on attack, a bit more than that if defending to give the defenders time to get into place with the same rough 30 seconds.

That's a _staggering_ number that is.
    End game screens are a full minutes worth a lot of people just insta leave and quickplay again to avoid.
    The map change every 1-2 rounds is about 20 secs.
    The overly long hero selection screen is 40 seconds.
    The setup time before the match starts is a minute or so.

Nice try though.

Quote Originally Posted by fernotao View Post
    a fps with no mods , no map editor and no constant changes will die pretty fast
    you have no clue

all those are exactly things a MP FPS with good gameplay (especially one aiming at e-sports) does NOT need

go back to playing Skyrim mods or something
    Last edited by Life-Binder; 2016-06-02 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shéllshock View Post
    Overwatch will never be a direct competitor to CS:GO. Blizz might keep trying to forcefully push it (they bought MLG recently iirc) but eventually, CS:GO still stay ahead by a huge margin.

I personally think the game will have a somewhat stable player base for the next months/ years but they will definitely have to keep pushing out updates. TF2 did not have a lot of content on launch either but it has dedicated servers on which you can run custom maps (created using a Map editor, something that OW does not have at all). You can even create custom game modes for TF2. Not to forget to mention that the game has a way better net code than OW currently has.
    Pretty much this. Blizzard has been focusing on all the wrong things that make an fps game great, trying to do things their own way and just dumping millions into the marketing budget to get the game hyped. I can't really blame them though since it's their first game in the fps series, they should have just researched the topic a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    yeah but overwatch is competitng with CSGO on the esports scene, only reason its to patm is cos its a new game like all new games they will eventually drop down in to the abyss of old twitch games
    It won't be competing with CSGO. The 2 have one thing in common, that is the crosshair in the middle of the screen. OW will not take many viewers from CSGO, I think it will hurt the MOBA genre much more. MOBA viewers mostly watch games for the few minutes of real action separated by long periods of farm and passive objective pushing. OW is also heavily team focused, but it's pure action, making it much more fun to watch.

I personally can't really regard OW as an FPS game. It's a next-gen MOBA FPS, but the focus is on MOBA, not FPS aspect. Sure, there's still a lot of skill required as far as shooting is concerned, but once you get to a certain point, what really starts to matter is the teamplay and correct use of skills.
    Last edited by Airlick; 2016-06-02 at 08:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    you have no clue

all those are exactly things a MP FPS with good gameplay (especially one aiming at e-sports) does NOT need

go back to playing Skyrim mods or something
    You have no clue. Quake and many others beg to differ.

and yeah agreed with OP

OW popularity (and likely sales) are mindboggling

pretty much perfect reception on all fronts - reviews (92% on metacritic and GR IIRC), players, large and good marketing campaign, very high streaming popularity, tournaments running etc. .. guaranteed future free content (heroes, maps, possibly modes .. ranked mode and seasons in June)

a nigh-perfect smash hit, especially for a companys first step into the genre
    Last edited by Life-Binder; 2016-06-02 at 08:14 AM.