Poll: Would you support WeakAuras on Patreon?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by InfusOnWoW View Post
    http://www.wowace.com/addons/weakauras-2/tickets/ is the one place where a idea doesn't get lost, so that's the one I prefer. Though if you mention it either here or on reddit, I probably have read it. Also if you want to start a discussion, a forum is a better place, you can create the ticket afterwards. So shoot.
    Upper and lower bounds on progress bars or textures.
    Currently to create something like a segmented Soul Shard bar or an energy bar similar to the addon Comergy then you have to create multiple sections each with slightly different code.
    My idea would be to simply create the segments tied to a given source, and then on each to just state what range it would display.
    Such as 0-1 shards (empty or full bar), 1-2 shards, 2-3 shards etc so that you have one progress bar per shard.
    Or 0-20 energy, 21-50 energy etc at whatever points are relevant.

I will work on the wording to make it more concise should it be worth posting that on the tickets.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Upper and lower bounds on progress bars or textures.
    Currently to create something like a segmented Soul Shard bar or an energy bar similar to the addon Comergy then you have to create multiple sections each with slightly different code.
    My idea would be to simply create the segments tied to a given source, and then on each to just state what range it would display.
    Such as 0-1 shards (empty or full bar), 1-2 shards, 2-3 shards etc so that you have one progress bar per shard.
    Or 0-20 energy, 21-50 energy etc at whatever points are relevant.

I will work on the wording to make it more concise should it be worth posting that on the tickets.
    That is reasonable and there's a similar wish for that already existing.

Deleted
    I think it's entirely reasonable to ask for donations, even if you do it to the side. I mean, your addon has become reasonably popular now, I'm sure your users would be willing to give you a little donation for the effort. I wouldn't quit your job over it, if I were you though, unless you also are going to do other work to the side as well. It's a huge risk to see if you'll get enough to cover your bills and I suppose you'd like a little on top of that as well. Maybe you can speak to your boss about it? You're not exactly competing with them, right?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Patreon is created for that so YES, don't fear of you will get donations just go for it and see what happened! I at the moment support my best friends band on Patreon its the best feeling ever! Every person that goes no no I would not support a Addon, they don't understand how things work.... and the best part is that they not have too, they still can use it for free! Your Addon got a lot of users that would love to see it get developed more it seems so JUST TRY IT!

For those wondering if there's enough to do, there's always bug fixing to do. The latest WeakAuras 2.0.27 release is a good example of that:

In that I added two miniscule features:
    - A Item Set Equipped and a ready check trigger type. (The former because I always foget to switch to the right gear in Challenge Mode...)
    - Did a minor code cleanup, that I stumbled on.

And, fixed
    - Power Trigger: React to UNIT_DISPLAYPOWER
    Used to signal that e.g. druids shape shifted

- BigWigs: Fix remaining time check
    Ticket-Nr: 532

- Fix Agony multi trigger
    Don't reset the expirationTime/duration and icon if just the stack
    amount changed

- Fix Health bars for temporary pets
    WA needs to watch for UNIT_PET that is fired on pets appearing and
    disappearing. Due to UNIT_PET's first parameter being the owner's unitid,
    there's a invisible frame that simply replaces that with "pet

- Fix encounter load condtion resetting on zone change
    Only reset the encounter_id if the player is also
    not in combat. This should fix the load condition for
    Archimond last phase.
    Ticket-Nr: 524

- Update Health more often
    By using UNIT_HEALTH_FREQUENT.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe if the WeakAuras website is a little bit more updated and with a good form to share custom weak auras you culd put a donation button on it and definitely you could get donations frecuently. At least thats just my opinion

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kurama View Post
    Maybe if the WeakAuras website is a little bit more updated and with a good form to share custom weak auras you culd put a donation button on it and definitely you could get donations frecuently. At least thats just my opinion
    That is actually a good idea. Not sure if custom sharing would need curating though.
    I would love to have a place to visit where some interesting weak auras are featured frequently.

The issue with sharing at present is abuse of the api which allows things like mailing.
    It has lost players gold or items when they get a less legitimate aura.
    Then there are requests to tweak the aura to suit individual needs.
    Personally I think there is room for detailed tutorials on the types of auras that people tend to ask for.

There is far too much emphasis on pre-done strings to import and not enough explaining how they work.
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    The issue with sharing at present is abuse of the api which allows things like mailing.
    That is btw also a area I'd like to work on before Legion. It's not as flashy as new features, but we can probably do a better job.

Quote Originally Posted by InfusOnWoW View Post
    That is btw also a area I'd like to work on before Legion. It's not as flashy as new features, but we can probably do a better job.
    I didn't really mean in-game sharing, but more a public repository of auras when I think to avoid that issue it would be be better to educate people on how to create their own.
    The over-reliance on imports is I think the major reason that problem exists.
    Though I still appreciate you doing what you can to make their functionality more transparent in advance.

I did spend the last few days making sure that my Plan B is solid. With that done, I'll start the Patreon on June 1 and spend at least June working full-time on WA. At the end of June I'll take a look how strong the support is and see if I continue that in July. Sometime before 1. August I need to decide whether it's enough then.

I'm planning on doing almost daily progress updates and making them available to everyone to see, so that you can see what you get if I spend significant time on WA.

Deleted
    Im excited for the new features, definitely worth spending a few euros for good work

Well, I'm not sure of your math, since 12*12*DBM Patreon is over 200k, which sounds above what a software developer earns in most cases. Though I'm most familar with my country.

Anyway, what you are comparing are apples and oranges. Patreon isn't mysticalos only source of income, though it should be the by far the biggest part. The current amount is just after 1 month. It should go up when raids are new and Legion launches. And you are comparing that to a market rate of a software developer. As he explains on his Patreon page, the benefits of working from home are invaluable for him.

Now, for me, I know what I could earn as a software developer, because I have several job offers before me. Patreon will not be getting me close to that amount. I'm certain of that. I'm also pretty sure that I won't be reaching break-even in the first month. But what I believe is, that with a solid effort, I might be able to reach a point where break-even is feasible. Or it might be that DBM is just ten times more popular, that could also happen. Anyway, it'a experiment and I do have a fall-back plan.

As to the bounty system. I don't think that leads to a stable enough base. I have talked in this thread about the features I'd like to have in WeakAuras, though I'd be dumb not to listen to those actually contributing.

As to the code quality. I wouldn't consider the Tutorial code core to WeakAuras, I'm pretty sure that no one has looked at it in ages. As to the UI code and the rest, I disagree that it is bad, it's not perfect, especially the code could be more modular, but it is maintainable and extendable.
    Last edited by InfusOnWoW; 2016-06-01 at 08:13 AM.

I know next to nothing about addon making but quitting your day job for your hobby never works out well for anyone, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    I know next to nothing about addon making but quitting your day job for your hobby never works out well for anyone, does it?
    Depending on how you look at it Patreon does work for lots of people, or very few. I did quit my job, for other unrelated reasons, so that's why I'm doing it now.

Deleted
    I think putting some of your time into better presentation could make a difference for you.

A own website with announcements, presentation, tutorials and a place for sharing/discussion would be amazing.

Many threads here are about weak auras and more is going on in the class forums.
    The aura part of weak auras is community driven so it would make perfect sense to give the community a nice place to participate
    The demand is there and satisfying it could boost the popularity of weak auras even more.

It would also be a place where you could promote the patreon thing and maybe get some revenue from adds/youtube.

Of course that is a lot of work for one person alone.
    But with some help and a part of your time invested this could be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlefreak View Post
    I think putting some of your time into better presentation could make a difference for you.

A own website with announcements, presentation, tutorials and a place for sharing/discussion would be amazing.
    I don't have the skills that are necessary to maintain such a website. And the way I see that "market" is that there are network effects, which would make it very hard to attract a sufficient number of users. Though I can do the occasional post about tips and tricks with WeakAuras.

Anyway, I've created https://www.patreon.com/user?ty=h&u=3216523 now, and posted a preview of a new feature that I haven't talked about anywhere yet.