Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Hey! North Central is fine! The panhandle is where the rural wackos are!
    Well, we are never too old to learn something. I just learned what haboob means. However my spell checker does not see it as a normal word. lol! It is silly to be offended by such, but the weather people should also add " dust storm" for those here who do not know what a haboob means. It is also silly to assume all here would know.

Another Texas bashing thread....... Have you ever been to Texas? It's a better version of Florida

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Well, we are never too old to learn something. I just learned what haboob means. However my spell checker does not see it as a normal word. lol! It is silly to be offended by such, but the weather people should also add " dust storm" for those here who do not know what a haboob means. It is also silly to assume all here would know.
    My local meteorologists uses both the real term and describes what it means. He still gets some shit. Ignorant people will be ignorant. Foreign words are scary!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Another Texas bashing thread....... Have you ever been to Texas? It's a better version of Florida
    I'm offended you would even compare us to Florida

Quote Originally Posted by FrothyMug View Post
    ZOMG! Some people expressed their disapproval of using an Arabic term because they don't like its roots. Quick! Let's paint the rest of the population with the same broad brush so that we can keep on making fun of Texas and Texans, even though we've never been there!

It always amazes me when I run into people in other parts of the country who have a vast misconception of a lot of what goes on in Texas.
    Then they visit and go back home gushing about how nice everyone was like it's mind boggling for people to be friendly and accomodating to strangers. :/

"Haboob" is better than "dust storm" because dust storm doesn't have "boob" in it it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    "Haboob" is better than "dust storm" because dust storm doesn't have "boob" in it it
    Hell yeah. Anything with "boob" in it gets x10 better

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    So the news is that some people are stupid? That's not exactly news lol.

My local meteorologists uses both the real term and describes what it means. He still gets some shit. Ignorant people will be ignorant. Foreign words are scary!
    When you use arabic words to describe meteorological phenomena the terrorists win

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That is how it should be done. It is like the metric system. Sure it is a more accurate system and some day will be the norm world wide. But there are still millions here who use the old system of inches and pounds, etc. Until there is hardly anyone alive who uses the old system, they should use both when labeling and instructions here in the US at least. I mean even inches/feet is better than cubic, which was based on the length of a man's distance between his elbow and the end of his hand. So progress has been made.

Quote Originally Posted by josykay View Post
    IMO Texas should go back to roman numbers and stuff, because, damn that. The numbers used today have arabic origin, so they are clearly a nogo. Plus, roman numbers are absolutely more practical. :P
    The point is that they have been traditionally called sandstorms, so to all of a sudden start calling them haboobs is truly silly and glorified virtue signaling at its finest. It's pandering to the regressive left PC culture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    The point is that they have been traditionally called sandstorms, so to all of a sudden start calling them haboobs is truly silly and glorified virtue signaling at its finest. It's pandering to the regressive left PC culture.
    Bunch of bull. I've lived here all my life and Both words have been used frequently. Haboob is not new, it's not catering to anyone, and it's been the correct term forever. Cut the PC bs out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    That is how it should be done. It is like the metric system. Sure it is a more accurate system and some day will be the norm world wide. But there are still millions here who use the old system of inches and pounds, etc. Until there is hardly anyone alive who uses the old system, they should use both when labeling and instructions here in the US at least. I mean even inches/feet is better than cubic, which was based on the length of a man's distance between his elbow and the end of his hand. So progress has been made.
    That's how transitions should go anyway. So much easier to learn if you have it side by side.

Bunch of bull. I've lived here all my life and Both words have been used frequently. Haboob is not new, it's not catering to anyone, and it's been the correct term forever. Cut the PC bs out.
    If both have been used frequently then yes, I have no problem.

I love the idiot that says he's going to find another weather service, as if all the other services don't just piggyback off the NWS.
    Beta Club Brosquad

10+ Year Old Account
    ha....boob...s

*snickers*

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    I don't think you understand that "dust storm" and "haboob" are not different terms for the same thing. All haboobs are dust storms, but not all dust storms are haboobs.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Don't tell these morons that English comprises of countless words from various regions all over the world.

They might get a hissy fit if you tell them "Algebra" is an Arabic word too.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2016-06-02 at 03:49 PM.

This led me to this, which I found quite interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Bloody Texans, use English names for things. You can start with your fuckin state.

May I suggest this as your new state flag:

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    I'm offended you would even compare us to Florida
    Well compared to the Northeast they are both very warm. I enjoyed Texas a lot when I was there, however I was in New Bronfels which seemed to be a very rich area.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Well compared to the Northeast they are both very warm. I enjoyed Texas a lot when I was there, however I was in New Bronfels which seemed to be a very rich area.
    Yeah lots of old retirees move over there so that's probably what you saw