Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Elon Musk plans manned mission to Mars by 2024

Speaking at the annual Code Conference, the SpaceX founder and CEO Elon Musk said he plans on starting with Mars cargo deliveries as early as 2018. He also wants to send his Dragon Version 2, which is about the size of an SUV and can seat seven, to Mars in 2018, but that won't carry humans just yet since it currently has no way of getting back home.

The road map for human travel to Mars is a bit further out.

"If things go according to plan, [we] should be able to launch people by 2024 with arrival in 2025," said Musk.
    http://mashable.com/2016/06/02/elon-.../#EsPfXxIT.uqY

I don`t believe him.

might be possible, 2024 is still a long ways off and they are doing successful landing missions now atleast in the ocean. Perhaps hes just being optimistic in saying 2024 will be the year.

Somehow it sounds a little too soon to be realistic. Would be nice tho!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Deleted
    I like his/their ambition, realistic or not.

Sometimes you just have to set a goal and go for it.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I like his/their ambition, realistic or not.

Sometimes you just have to set a goal and go for it.
    Wasnt there some president in the early 60ties with an unrealistic vision of a man on the moon in that decade..

Quote Originally Posted by Paklaaji View Post
    I don`t believe him.
    People said the same when he started SpaceX 14 years ago. Look at where he is now.

Deleted
    Mars is boring, it doesn't even have any visible moon. They should go to one of Saturn's moons instead.

Imagine the view, after it has been terraformed and colonised.

Deleted
    Hopefully Musk will go on the trip himself so we don't have to read about his 'visionary' talent. Meaning things he stole from others and rebranded as something he came up with.

You'll have to elaborate on that.

Musk is a pretty good salesman and knows how to say what people want to hear. I wish people would stop riding his d*** so hard and just wait to see what happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    But then in 2024 he'll say there are delays and it'll cost more.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FrothyMug View Post
    Musk is a pretty good salesman and knows how to say what people want to hear. I wish people would stop riding his d*** so hard and just wait to see what happens.
    He's not just a "good salesman." He actually understands the technologies involved, which is likely more than you can say.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    He's not just a "good salesman." He actually understands the technologies involved, which is likely more than you can say.
    This.

Calling him modern day genius would be a stretch but he knows the A`s and Z`s about the things he`s involved in.
    Fresh interview, where he laid out the idea and other plans for the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Wasnt there some president in the early 60ties with an unrealistic vision of a man on the moon in that decade..
    Sure, though that's quite a bit easier to accomplish.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FrothyMug View Post
    A pretty good salesman, and an excellent engineer and CEO who knows the technical ins and outs of the product lines across the range of his companies.

I have no idea where he finds the time to pick up so much knowledge, but still relaxes and plays video games.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I have no idea where he finds the time to pick up so much knowledge, but still relaxes and plays video games.
    I don't think he relaxes enough as it appears he's mentally insane; http://mashable.com/2016/06/02/elon-...lated-reality/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    You mean he "borrows" technology developed by other companies and sells them as his own magical idea. You know, that reminds me of some other big company with a fruit as a logo.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Somehow it sounds a little too soon to be realistic. Would be nice tho!
    Yeah, I'd love to see that sort of thing happen in my lifetime. It's always discouraging when I read lines like "We hope to get a manned mission to [insert planet or moon here] off the ground by 2080!"

I understand why, but it still sucks that I likely won't get to see a lot of this stuff happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't sound like it is going to be a commercially beneficial project. Does the government(s) fund(s) it partially?
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Doesn't NASA say 2030 plans aren't realistic anymore? 2024 sounds impossible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Doesn't sound like it is going to be a commercially beneficial project. Does the government(s) fund(s) it partially?
    Proving he can safely deliver cargo to Mars is a great way to ensure he gets government supply contracts for future Mars missions.

But really this just sounds like Musk being Musk and trying to push the envelope.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Musk gets roughly 5b in subsidies and government contracts for his companies.