Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Unhappy Do I need Raid gear to do Tanaan?

I came back after a long while, and since I've never been interested in Raids at all (Not even LFR) I had Dungeon loot at 620+ ilvl.

Then I completed the questline to get to Tanaan and it feels like everything is kicking my face in. I avoid AOE's I try to interrupt, but I find myself running out of potions and having to eat every five minutes. Some of the quests to take down elites or bosses I just simply can't do despite the fact they don't mention anything about need 3 or 5 man parties. I then I check wowhead and apparently its a cakewalk.

Does outdoor endgame just assume everyone is running Raids or LFR? I just really don't understand. I was actually having a good time until I found a zone needed a gear check.

If you didn't boost, you're best of taking it real slow, joining groups in the LFG tool, and doing some quick Dungeons for some quick gear.

If you did boost, you should be fine. Focus on getting some of the events done, the rares killed, and looting treasures. The gear you'll get will help immensely. But yes, Tanann is not friendly to large AoE pulls until you're a tank, or well geared. Tread carefully.

Deleted
    if you dont try to do the throne stuff alone you shouldnt need raidgear.
    quiet the opposite actually. if you kill stuff you should get some better gear relativly quick.
    if its really to hard for you to do, just look for groups for the subzone where you are right now. there probably are still groups around that do the daily since its fastest to do them together

Quote Originally Posted by Strangewayes View Post
    I came back after a long while, and since I've never been interested in Raids at all (Not even LFR) I had Dungeon loot at 620+ ilvl.

Then I completed the questline to get to Tanaan and it feels like everything is kicking my face in. I avoid AOE's I try to interrupt, but I find myself running out of potions and having to eat every five minutes. Some of the quests to take down elites or bosses I just simply can't do despite the fact they don't mention anything about need 3 or 5 man parties. I then I check wowhead and apparently its a cakewalk.

Does outdoor endgame just assume everyone is running Raids or LFR? I just really don't understand. I was actually having a good time until I found a zone needed a gear check.
    What's your class?

I also came back recently and a great tip was to bring a bodyguard along (level 2 Baracks). As a Hunter I tried both Vivianne and Leosomething, ultimately went with Vivianne. She does really good damage, both single target and aoe.

But there might be other, better options depending on your class and faction.

Do a Timewalking dungeon and you will get a quest that awards 500 badges this will allow you to buy a few slots of 675 ilvl gear.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    no, go thru the quests. Get Baleful armor drops, they are 650-695 range upon creation when you click them, for your currently selected spec.
    *Minaah* lvl 120 / Resto & Balance Druid -- GM of Onslaught on Doomhammer-US, Horde

Depends on your class/spec honestly if you are a pet class you are going to faceroll pretty much anything.

I had problems on low geared casters I went through the zone on. Just play it smart. If you have a garrison follower to take with you that helps some as well.

Honestly I wish more of the outdoor game was like that. Harder needing to drink/eat more often. On my main I get frustrated if I cant find a pack of mobs to aoe down so I can get done faster pulling 1-2 at a time and hunting for others sucks to me. But just try to enjoy it really with it being the backend of the expansions life work on getting you some good leveling gear
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

Quote Originally Posted by Syl3r View Post
    if you dont try to do the throne stuff alone you shouldnt need raidgear.
    quiet the opposite actually. if you kill stuff you should get some better gear relativly quick.
    if its really to hard for you to do, just look for groups for the subzone where you are right now. there probably are still groups around that do the daily since its fastest to do them together
    I was Fury Warrior, non-boosted, was wearing all WoD 6.0 Dungeon gear. Mobs are usually okay, although sometimes they tend to just keep respawning endlessly so I'm taking on 2 then another 2 then an another 2.

I guess I just need to wait until prime time when more people show up? Because atm there is 2-3 people in the zone doing their own thing. Elite/Boss types for quests are practically a no-go for me atm.

Guess I'll have to save up crystals or do some timewalking dungeons?

I was running with a Bodyguard but if you get respawns during fights they tend to go for them and eventually they just die because of the endless respawns.

I had Dungeon loot at 620+ ilvl.
    It's definitely tough at that level (edit: just saw you are a Fury warrior; that was the hardest toon for me in Tanaan with crap gear), but you can do it. If the Timewalking event is around make sure you hop in. A single Timewalking dungeon turn-in gets you enough badges to buy 3-4 pieces of gear from that vendor, not counting anything that may have dropped in the dungeon itself. That will help you catch up big-time.

Regardless of whether you do that or not, some tips:

1) As Malacras suggested, bring a bodyguard along. Extra damage will help and if they hold attention for a second or two, that's great too.

2) If you are in a bonus objective area, be aware that almost all of them have items that boost your damage in some way, and many of them also have a way to heal yourself that doesn't involve sitting and eating.

3) Make judicious use of your Garrison ability. Personally I prefer the artillery barrage. It does huge damage and also drops a stun that gives you a little breather. For the elites, don't be afraid to wait until you have all three charges and drop all three on their face.

4) Grab an addon like HandyNotes/Draenor Treasures. Not only will it show you what a rare can drop, it will also list places where there is literally gear sitting on the ground. Look for the pieces appropriate for your class and go grab them for a quick ilvl boost.

5) Throne mobs will stomp your face. I assume you know that (those ARE marked as a group quest) but if you don't, stay away from there.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

None whatsoever. You'll quickly get showered in Baleful (>650 ilvl) gear.

Do some heroics ( you still need gear from them), open some treasures in tanan, kill some rares and buy gear with Alexis from quests. You will be 650-660 in less than an hour.
    Also this week is time walking event. Do one and you can afford some 660-675 gear.

I only had normal dungeon loot at most when I first started in Tanaan. As a caster, I had to be careful about pulls but it was manageable. Depending on the mob type, pulling more than one could result in death for me. I was progressing slower as evidence by watching other players pulling multiples and Elite with no trouble. I presume they were in current raid tier gear.

Elite bosses were definitely no for me. So it is doable even for someone as badly skilled and geared as me.

Thanks for the info guys, I'll try and get better gear so I can do more quests :P

As other have said, take it slow and sty the hell away from Throne unless grouped.

Deleted
    Well starting in thanaan with some clases is hard but like others says focus on treasure hunt and rare kills to pump alot of this 650 gear go do some Ashran if you win there to get some 700 gear after week or 2 you will be around 700 and will have no problems to deal with mobs in the zone

If u can just do heroics as a tank when the satchels are available.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fly around Tanaan looking for chests with a purple, glowing outline. Loot them and get baleful items. Probably the simplest way.

Loot the radiating apexis crystals in the part where te Arakoa are, can be done by ground mount, but flying mount will help very much. You get like 10 per run I think; you will be stacked with baleful gear in no time. You also can download crossrealmassist and stand in the cave over there, via this way it's a non stop loot fest.

Depending on your class, there are some random treasures in Tanaan jungle that also have an ilvl of 650 to 655. If you have a guild, you could ask guildmates to potentially help you kill a rare spawn or two for specific weapon drops.

I know off hand that there is an agi spear, a caster dagger, a caster off hand, and a caster fist weapon that aren't too difficult to collect. What specifically are you looking for?

7+ Year Old Account
    Like others have said, take it slow and collect the baleful gear and you'll be moving right along.