Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    You've got to be fucking kidding me. It's not illegal nor am I giving the dog a slab of meat, just bits from what I sometimes may be holding while walking.
    You walk around with bits of bacon?

Deleted
    because theyre little shits

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Dogs should be bred for work. What's the work these glorified rats were bred for?
    Don't insult rats by comparing them to chihuahuas.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    They're also the only dog breed in the world that isn't born with a fully developed skull, which means they often get brain damage as infants and end up being the fucked up little shit dogs that everyone recognizes.
    Don't bulldogs also have some skull problems?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    We owned a chihuahua from a breeder, but we had to return her after we had our son, she was too aggressive towards him and even taking her to training didn't help.
    Babies are a game changer with dogs. Wish I had advice for the future, but different dogs behave differently around small children.

My dad had a Cocker Spaniel when before my little brother was born (over 20 years ago). When my brother was brought home, the dog would sleep next to the crib. Seemed cute, until you tried to get near the crib. The dog would become very aggressive to my step-mother, and my father, and anyone else who got near it.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    A patient and highly involved dog owner is also rare. Not trying to be disrespectful, but people who are highly involved in training their dogs, usually end up with the best, most obedient pets.
    I was 13 when we got that dog and it was for me and my younger sister, so ya probably not the best dog trainers. He's still a dumbass dog. I've had my own dog for about 8 years now and he's cool as hell. He's a mutt though and weighs about 100 pounds. I don't think I could have a dog that weighed less than 30 pounds anymore, and it's not just because of obedience. I just don't like little dogs.

I don't mind them at all. Just never would have one.
    I do not prefer "small" dogs, Pug - bulldog is my preferred size of companion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Hmm, good to hear. I've been thinking about getting a corgi, but I'm still on the fence about it. Girlfriend wants a much bigger dog, I just kinda want a cute fluffy corgi
    I personally want a Shiba Inu, but it will be a ton of work to get it socialized well enough. I've generally found them to similar to Chihuahuas when it comes to being possessive over their owners.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I was 13 when we got that dog and it was for me and my younger sister, so ya probably not the best dog trainers. He's still a dumbass dog. I've had my own dog for about 8 years now and he's cool as hell. He's a mutt though and weighs about 100 pounds. I don't think I could have a dog that weighed less than 30 pounds anymore, and it's not just because of obedience. I just don't like little dogs.
    Mutts are where it is at. Generally have better natural temperament, and have less health issues than some pure breeds.

Babies are a game changer with dogs. Wish I had advice for the future, but different dogs behave differently around small children.

My dad had a Cocker Spaniel when before my little brother was born (over 20 years ago). When my brother was brought home, the dog would sleep next to the crib. Seemed cute, until you tried to get near the crib. The dog would become very aggressive to my step-mother, and my father, and anyone else who got near it.
    Yeah, when I was a baby apparently our Rottweiler decided it was my parent now, and got real nasty with absolutely anyone that tried to come near me. They had to get rid of him, and they had him for years before I was born.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Yeah, when I was a baby apparently our Rottweiler decided it was my parent now, and got real nasty with absolutely anyone that tried to come near me. They had to get rid of him, and they had him for years before I was born.
    Totally sucks! But it is, what it is. Dogs act very strangely when a baby is introduced into the family.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Corgis are a herding breed, so they have been known to bite people heels and nip children, while trying to herd them.
    I find a bit of humor in the image of that. Not the reality, but it makes for a funny day dream.

For the same reasons people don't like other breeds of dogs. Ignorance, bad experiences, take your pick.

I'm a dog lover, not a "dogs-of-a-certain-breed-or-size"-lover, so Chihuahuas fall under my umbrella so to speak...but I would never own one. I don't want a dog that a big cat or a bird of prey can kill with ease.

My small pets are hamsters or fish, not dogs. ^^

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hate chihuahuas because they keep forgetting to bring me some taco bell...jk, they are annoying and whiney little dogs that are prone to alot of problems health wise, but they can be sweet as anything too. I had a stray chihuahua out in the country area I lived in that got between a big dog and me cause the chihuahua liked me for feeding it and making sure it always had food and water available.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Chihuahuas have a notorious reputation of having a "small person syndrome", i.e. - all bark but no bite... acting all aggressive like.

They're also awful yappers...

Personally, I'm just not a fan of small dogs. More specifically, the personality of the average Chihuahua is generally annoying. I absolutely hate senseless barking. While that is usually an owners deficient, I see it all the time in Chihuahuas. Bark bark bark, run and hide behind owner, bark bark bark.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I just don't like yip-dogs, AKA tiny animals that bark constantly as some sort of defensive power play, when in reality they're tiny and fragile and could easily be killed with a single kick or stomp. They should know better than to threaten and harass people who are literally just walking along minding their own business when those people could just as easily decide the dog is annoying enough to get punted.

That said, I've never hurt a dog before, no matter how annoying they are, but I've certainly gained a dislike for the tiny breeds that go nuts whenever someone enters their field of vision.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a Shiba Inu/Korean Jindo mix. He's the most loyal dog that I've ever known. Always by my side and watching me. He's wary of strangers and will bark, while also being "on alert" to sounds outside the home, but he's not aggressive.
    I want one so bad!!! They are super cute and fluffy and warm, and I want to nap on it.

These are also super cute small dogs. Alaskan Klee Kai. My friend has one, and she is super sweet. But they are in the husky family, so they are super whiny as well.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haajib View Post
    I rather have a rat in a chain.
    Rats are infinitely better pets, IMO. Can't stand little yappy dogs.

Mutts are where it is at. Generally have better natural temperament, and have less health issues than some pure breeds.
    He's had one little health issue so far where I had to have a tumor removed from his mouth and they had to take a tooth too. I got lucky and it was benign. One of my co-workers has a maltese and he ended up having the same issue, but it ended up being malignant. His twin brother died about a year ago to neurotic issues. That was one of the freakier things I've seen. He brought him into the office one day he was fine, and a couple hours later he was gone. It's not a fun thing to have to go through. I was stressed as hell when my dog was having his surgery, but a big burden of relief when the results came back, so I can't imagine how my co-worker feels. It's not like I have a kid or anything, so my dog is one of the most important things to me.

Our chihuahua developed kennel cough soon after we got him and that took a month or 2 to clear up. It was pretty bad some nights. He could barely breath so my dad would lay with him on the couch and have him all snuggled in under his shirt. I remember one night he was so bad he had to go to the emergency vet really late at night and they told us not to get too attached to him. 15 years later he's still alive...Other than the kennel cough he got when he was still just a young pup he never had any other health issues. I mean he can hardly see, hear, or walk, but once in a while he'll still run through the house to get his expected treat.

My dogs temperament used to be really good too. He was friendly with most dogs, and all the other dogs he just didn't care about and paid them no mind. I took him to the dog park like 4 days a week for a couple years, so he was always good with other dogs and people. Then our neighbors got this big boxer with a shitty collar. That thing got off his leash at least 2-3 times to attack my dog in our backyard. Now he doesn't put up with shit and doesn't want any other dog around the house, so I gotta be really careful about that. He loves people though, so at least there's still that.

A few weeks ago my other neighbor was watching his daughters chihuahua and I was outside walking my mutt. I couldn't believe how well behaved her chihuahua was, actually seemed like a pretty cool dog. Meanwhile my dog was going crazy and wanted to destroy it. I really wish he wasn't like that though, and I spent a lot of time trying to set up his personality right, but those god damn neighbors ruined him...

10+ Year Old Account
    Rats are infinitely better pets, IMO. Can't stand little yappy dogs.
    Pretty much this. As a former Pitbull owner i dont like dogs i cant grab and roll with them over in the mud or grass without breaking them. In this case im one the "bigger is better" side

Small dogs get away with a lot of bad behaviors because they're small and cute, so owners don't correct them. As a result, you get a dog that has no limitations and that can be rather annoying to other people.

Persoanlly, I don't mind the chihuahua breed. They're cute, loyal and love to be by your side. They're not naturally aggressive, lol.
    this.

for whatever reason this breed tends to attract a particular kind of irresponsible owner, so the dogs end up getting a bad rep, even though its nearly always the human's fault.

that said.. I generally prefer larger dogs myself, mainly because smaller dogs like chihuahuhas etc tend to be so small and fragile, I end up feeling like I have to be on eggshells around them out of fear of hurting them. large dogs, I can just cuddle and play with without feeling like a giant clumsy oaf.