Thread: Gtx 1080

Page 79 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    "many people" don't have any clue about anything related to semiconductors. If the die-shrunk Maxwell with that clock boost from the manufacturing process change didn't outperform it's previous self then we'd have a problem.

You seem to forget that the node change was from 28nm planar to 16nm FF. They skipped 22nm entirely and did a huge leap. We had numerous generations built at the same manufacturing process and that's why the improvement was minor from gen N to gen N+1. This time around each tier is expected to deliver 60% better performance in comparison to last gen simply by density, then you add architecture improvements on top of it (ok we can ignore this part with "pascal") and the higher clocks that is made possible and suddenly the performance increase of the 1080 in comparison to the 980 isn't really impressive. It's expected.
    Correct. But the last gen was skipped to thus the jump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JestersShadow View Post
    Usually the first cards to come in the Next generation don't beat the Premium best of the best ones from the last. Considering this 1080 beats the Titan it is a huge shock to many people. Hell there are still cards in AMD's 7970 range that still beat many of their newer cards.
    ???????

80-series have always beat the top of the line last gen cards?

Quote Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
    ???????

80-series have always beat the top of the line last gen cards?
    Cannot speak to Nvidia, as I have been AMD for a very long time. So I will take your word for it. But I know for a fact that there are cards for example a 690 that beats a 970 people expect the higher number to beat a lower number in models. AMD was weird as they went from the 7k models to their 290's 390's etc and I have had people when I am building their computer asking by not get a 6800 it's loads above 390 as the number is bigger. they get confused over the naming regimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    690 is a dual gpu card, it's not exactly best to compare that to a single gpu.

Quote Originally Posted by JestersShadow View Post
    Cannot speak to Nvidia, as I have been AMD for a very long time. So I will take your word for it. But I know for a fact that there are cards for example a 690 that beats a 970 people expect the higher number to beat a lower number in models. AMD was weird as they went from the 7k models to their 290's 390's etc and I have had people when I am building their computer asking by not get a 6800 it's loads above 390 as the number is bigger. they get confused over the naming regimes.
    780 beats the 680ti though, the 690 was a Dual GPU. The 980ti beat the Titan Black and the 780ti too. It's pretty normal for any xy0 to beat the (x-1)(y+1/y+ti)0(I hope that makes sense). Just like a 960 beats the 750ti, the 980 beats the 780ti.

and yeah, until you have has the naming conventions explained to you, it doesn't make much sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    780 beats the 680ti though, the 690 was a Dual GPU. The 980ti beat the Titan Black and the 780ti too. It's pretty normal for any xy0 to beat the (x-1)(y+1/y+ti)0(I hope that makes sense). Just like a 960 beats the 750ti, the 980 beats the 780ti.

and yeah, until you have has the naming conventions explained to you, it doesn't make much sense.
    Traditionally the names for graphic cards are meant to be confusing. That's how they get sales. Anyone remember the Geforce 4 MX? Sounds faster than a Geforce 3 right? Except it's a Geforce 2. There's also the Radeon 9000 cards which were meant to be an upgrade over the Radeon 8500. Except it was slower in every way but just slightly. Then ATI released the 9250, which was the 8500 with a new BIOS, which allowed the graphics card to accelerate videos with pixel shaders. A feature that ATI said couldn't be done on the 8500. Guess what 8500 owners did? They flashed the BIOS of the 9250, and long and behold they get the same features as the 9250 owners.

This is why to this day it's better to go on the forums like this one, and ask people. It's rare for Nvidia and AMD to try and trick people like this, but the names are still confusing. Bigger numbers are better, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    690 is a dual gpu card, it's not exactly best to compare that to a single gpu.
    Your regular laman buying a computer wont know any of what we have referenced here, They just assume higher is better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    ..... forums like this one, and ask people. It's rare for Nvidia and AMD to try and trick people like this, but the names are still confusing. Bigger numbers are better, right?
    This is GOLD thank you <3

Finally got one from Newegg

Another link without a single word added, that's starting to become borderline rude...

I'm currently running a Titan (the original) so I'm thinking of upgrading aswell, sadly most charts don't include this card in the comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Xcuse View Post
    Another link without a single word added, that's starting to become borderline rude...
    how about a thank you for me providing a link to a useful benchmark/comparison

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    how about a thank you for me providing a link to a useful benchmark/comparison
    How about a word on what the link contains and adding your thoughts about the content of the link?
    Most of the time I don't bother clicking on links that are posted out of the blue. Might aswell be whatever.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Why is the GTX 1080 always sold out? Nvidia and board partners please produce more cards. If the 1070 launch is like this i'm going to be angry.

This is on par with the iPhone launches.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    Why is the GTX 1080 always sold out? Nvidia and board partners please produce more cards. If the 1070 launch is like this i'm going to be angry.

This is on par with the iPhone launches.
    The difference is that with iPhone launches there are a shit-ton of iPhones, it's just that a lot of people get out of their way to buy them.
    In this case there are very few cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, there are definitely supply issues. Apple goes out of the way to tape out at two fabs to increase supply. Then they reserved a big amount at TSMC. This is just lack of supply through and through. It's pretty clear not enough inventory was built prior to the paper and hard launch.
    https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sh...&postcount=103
    Yes visited some other partners this morning, all confirming same delays June 17th is absolute earliest now and stock won't get better until July / August.

We are pushing like crazy to board partners who are pushing nvidia very hard. It's a global delay!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    There is really no difference. Both have more customers than supply on release which is what you hope for with any new product.
    High demand and supply issues are very different things.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Not in this case. The high demand is present for both outstripping the supply on launch.
    Doesn't apply purposely limit supply/production to make the product psychologically more desirable? would not be entirely unsurprised if nvidia did the same in the early weeks.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...y_controversy/
    So Nvidia's 1080 isn't rendering AotS correctly resulting in a few % performance increase due to that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    Doesn't apply purposely limit supply/production to make the product psychologically more desirable? would not be entirely unsurprised if nvidia did the same in the early weeks.
    Nah, I think that AMD forced Nvidia to come up with something quickly. With the P10 demos we had before, AMD showed they already had a working GPU back in January. Nvidia just showed GP100 with all the new stuff and then we got the 1080 which has a lot of Maxwell and not so much Pascall from the GP100.

I am not saying the 1080/1070 would have been any different if they would have launched later. But there is clearly a supply problem due to the low production of chips. We will see how it is on June 29th, but so far AMD is just keeping up with their original release schedule. It could be AMD is just building up stock as we speak. And they will flood the market with cards in July.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a supply issue and delays that are global according to the people at OCUK vendor. So unless someone has something to say that supply is as normal but demand is too high, I'll take the supply and delay issues as they mentioned as Nvidia just launched way too early as supply will only get better in late July/August.
    Few things to me that was an indicator was that 1 week of review period for the 1080, which was very uncharacteristic of Nvidia. Obvious fail of a Asynchronous Compute showcase using DX11 in reality instead of DX12 (lawlfraps).
    Micron is the only supplier of GDDR5X DRAM that has ramped up to commercial production mode, but only just begun mass producing it this month. It is also running at the lower bound of 10Gbps instead of 12 or 14Gbps.

For a marketing machine that Nvidia build themselves as, Nvidia really screwed up everything outside of announcing it.