Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

What if expansions just offered more content and no class and ability overhauls?

One thing I find myself tired of after 11+ years of WoW is the constant overhaul of talents and abilities at the start of every expansion.

The only thing I would really want of an expansion is more content. More zones, more instances, more armor and weapons, more BG's etc.
    Having to re-adjust every 2 years is getting very old for me.

What's your take on this? Do you like the constant changing of classes and abilities? Or would you also just want more content?

people would call them content patches and rage that they had a price tag
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Game need to change to keep people interrested. If the classes would be the exact same thing today as in vanilla. No one would play anymore.

Sounds like every expansion for a rogue /s
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    Class changes are exciting for me. I like changing gameplay from one expansion to another while keeping the same class, otherwise the class might start feeling a bit stale. They also allow to explore different alts who might have gameplay that I didn't enjoy much, but the changes might make it more fun.

That's one thing I've always wished for.

I mean, I'm all for bugfixes and quiality of life improvements to the classes, but I've always hated the complete overhauls that come with every expansion.

I'd much rather they invested that time in creating more content.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
    people would call them content patches and rage that they had a price tag
    Well, it would still hold new continents with new lore and all that.
    All the resources that they save on the ability overhauls can be spend on additional content.

Huh, strange, I feel almost the opposite. I mean, new lore and areas is needed indeed, but I really the variation in how my character feels to play to stay interested. Rotations go stale, and we need overhauls to make the classes feel fresh, IMO. If the game was my made to suit my preferences, Blizzard would not spend much resources on pvp oriented stuff, like arenas/bgs, and not spend time on making a million mounts, pets and silly toys.
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    One thing I find myself tired of after 11+ years of WoW is the constant overhaul of talents and abilities at the start of every expansion.

The only thing I would really want of an expansion is more content. More zones, more instances, more armor and weapons, more BG's etc.

What's your take on this? Do you like the constant changing of classes and abilities? Or would you also just want more content?
    I have been thinking about this recently as well. Why is every class and spec (most) being completely overhauled and changed. I do not see why all these classes need reworked to the extent that they are, maybe add a talent here or there. If you loved the old playstyle of a survival hunter, well, time to pick a new class or permanently swap specs. I think it is just a bit much.

Example: I play an unholy DK, or try to when balancing allows it. Yes the changes look awesome to it IMO, but with the amount of change it is going to experience, I may hate it. Also, as a character progression model you learn an awesome DoT in necrotic plague, now in legion, my death knight suddenly forgot how to cast it?

On a more positive note, while there are tons of changes, Unholy DK looks like a blast. (But it will probably change again next expansion)

I think there needs to be a bit more of a balance between overhauling classes, and adding content, but that is just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Whispurr; 2016-06-03 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    Sounds like every expansion for a rogue /s
    *slow clap builds to a standing ovation*

That said, I'm one of few who were happy with the consistency in rogue design. I'm looking forward to what changes and what stays the same with Legion.

Minor changes I'm fine with. Overhauling every spec every expansions is just tiresome since it often result in me having to find a new main since the gameplay of my old one has changed so much.

I'd argue that we don't even need levels every expansions. Just a couple of new zones and dungeons, maybe unlocking new talents or more convenient versions of existing ones. Gaining a new level isn't super exciting, I'm sure they could find other reasons for us to do the zones such as unlocking dungeons and raids or gaining reputation, stuff like that.

That is actually one reason why I liked TBC and WotLK. Yes, some specs did get an overhaul during those expansions, but it wasn't every spec. Each class got expanded apon however and it felt good. Your character actually felt like they grew in power. It felt like they got stronger. Both expansions felt like an addition, and not a revamp.

Then... came Cataclysm. Everything got a rehaul, or at least serious adjustments. Then came Mop and tanks/healers got an overhaul along with talent tree overhauls along with spec overhauls.

Then WoD came and we had... well, you get the point.

It feels like every expansion since Cataclsym that Blizzard didn't build systems for character growth that couldn't be controlled in a reasonable manner. It seems like in Legion they are doing the same with the artifacts. It's an awesome concept.. but what about future expansions? What will happen to all our artifact traits?

Not just, specs that were fun and just needed to be tuned right got butchered to something completely different (cough brewmaster).

If they didn't spend so much time in revamping the specs every expansion and set in some systems that allow growth, then that would equal less time/frustration for players and them selves that they would need to work on.

The overhauls are actually one of the things I'm looking foward to in a new expansion.

I really don't wanna push the same buttons in the exact same order for years and years. The fact that things get a bit shaken up every 2-3 years makes it more interesting for me. Isn't all of life like that? Who wants to do the exact same shit over and over again? Never change anything?

Seems like there are people on both sides, OP you should make a poll!
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Yes, this way Shamans can remain garbage expansion after expansion until eventually every single Shaman quits the game or rerolls something more useful.

Really, fuck Shamans. Fuck every Shaman in their stupid impossible to balance faces.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Yes, this way Shamans can remain garbage expansion after expansion until eventually every single Shaman quits the game or rerolls something more useful.

Really, fuck Shamans. Fuck every Shaman in their stupid impossible to balance faces.
    But if Shamans never got overhauled in the first place.... they would be as awesome now as they were in the early years

man I hate what they are doing to rogues in Legion.

I've been a rogue main for almost 12 years now and I just can't stand what they're doing to us.
    Subtlety Rogue was an amazing, incredible, unique, and fun spec prior to Legion and BfA

“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”

― Douglas Adams

But on the other side of things, some things needed to be redone. Some class/specs really did need an overhaul because they were broken, boring, frustrating, or all three.

I am sure if an expansion had the following, most people would he happy. 5 to 7 leveling areas/zones in a decent theme. 12 to 16 dungeons. 2 to 3 raids. 1 talent row. 1 to 2 new spells to spice up life (could be passive or otherwise ). 1 to 2 bg maps.

Then if content patches were the following. 1 to 2 new raid areas, a 2 or 3 wing dungeon. Maybe an extra zone/area to tie them to. At least two to three patches of this. In fact a raid doesn't even need it's own zone. Some mid expansion raids did really well with out having it's own zone, as long as it was pre-established it was there.

The amount that they change is an intentional move and not out of necessity.

A lot of people, including myself, get excited for the changes because it gives an opportunity to a lot of specs that either don't play well or had what played well about them neutered by WoD a second chance. WoD's class design was a fiasco and there was nowhere to go but a total wipe. Thank god they did.

I won't pretend what I see in every class in Legion is necessarily good, but what I see is a base for them to build into in a future expansion. Many of the classes don't have a lot of active rotational buttons anymore but a lot of cool tricks and talents that are unlike other classes, and what rotations they do have are almost all unlike any other class I've played on beta so far. And I like this a lot.

Sure, there are some casualties in there (brewmaster, destruction) but overall I think the redesigns nailed it pretty damn well.

But if Shamans never got overhauled in the first place.... they would be as awesome now as they were in the early years
    Yeah, because dropping each totem individually and being shitty, more complicated versions of Rogues or having a rotation that is literally one fucking spell is exactly what every Shaman wants to play.